Fuel leak

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Re: Fuel leak

Post by M249Joe »

New pumps from BMW have a ring installed. Notice the manufacturer name.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 61&page=11
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Is this from an R1200R?
Get Lost!
M249Joe
Basic User
Donating Member #: 931

Post by M249Joe »

RT looks like. But this is the same pump we use.
07 R1200R, 12 S1000RR, 75 R90/6, 67 R50/2, 75 R90S
83 Suzuki GS1100E
07 Honda 450x
1978 Suzuki TS125
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Right on, thanks for the info. :D
Get Lost!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Received my ring today - very nice job! Now I have an excuse to pull the tank (and probably replace the male plastic fittings with metal ones.. the female ones don't worry me..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
JimVonBaden
Basic User

Post by JimVonBaden »

M249Joe wrote:

For the aluminum rings:

Looks like $33.00ea delivered via USPS with signature required. PayPal +3.5% or money order

I can make them slight press fit or .010 on the diameter oversize for the epoxy to be between the ring and the boss.

Who ever wants one, email me at

r1200rfuelring
at
zoominternet
dot
net
Excellent fix, and what I was considering: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711467

Let's talk!

Thanks,

Jim 8)
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

M249Joe wrote:New pumps from BMW have a ring installed. Notice the manufacturer name.
Anybody know what model year the metal rings appeared? As of 2012?
Bill
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

YOUR FINAL DRIVE IS GOING TO FAIL!!! BEWARE, DONT RIDE YOUR BIKE EVER!

Just look, it's proof, it was on a RT and GS, so it must be the same for us! BE AFRAID! WATCH FOX NEWS!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=620857

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=410166

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377592

Now I have made a new part to sell you all that will fix the problem for our R1200R, even though I've not seen any reports of the final drive on the R1200R failing!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I could sell little pieces of simply machined aluminum for $33 to people for a problem that isn't really a problem on our bikes.
While Joe's solution to the RT "problem" is slick, to me this is a great example of internet hype getting out of control, combined with cabin fever to create a supposed problem that we've yet to see happen or be reported on the R1200R motorbike. I even asked my friend at local dealer about this, they've never seen it on our bike. Neither had another close friend at another large BMW dealer. Other bikes, yes, R1200R, no.
Posting about this "leak" in our R1200R forum is misleading to say the least, about the same as the final drive failures IMO.

Let me get this straight, a couple of RT guys with high miles, either by design or by them messing around with their tank in the first place by installing metal fittings into a plastic tank, had cracks develop on their tank, they then blew up the internet with the latest BMW design flaws conspiracy theory, rally the sue troops, which totally magnify the somewhat isolated problem that might have been self created in the first place.
Now, since Joe here can't ride due much to winter and is a crafty guy who maybe does machining for a living, and has been passing the time searching the web found this "problem" for an RT, a different bike than ours, cross posted the hype in the R1200R forum, which in turn has spread the fear since our bike shares this same pump.
Now, scared R1200R owners are taking their fuel tanks off and messing with them to fix a problem that doesn't exist for the R1200R, all while now buying $33 parts from the guy who brought this fear over from ANOTHER BIKE's problems and which now appears on the new pumps.

I call BS.

I'm not trying to discount Joe's work on this ring for RT or GS owners, but it seems like he should take and sell it on ADV or Sporttouring.net in the VENDORS thread, and not in the R1200R owners forum since this is NOT a documented R1200R problem or the correct place to sell things.
Get Lost!
mistral
Basic User

Post by mistral »

Lost Rider wrote:YOUR FINAL DRIVE IS GOING TO FAIL!!! BEWARE, DONT RIDE YOUR BIKE EVER!

Just look, it's proof, it was on a RT and GS, so it must be the same for us! BE AFRAID! WATCH FOX NEWS!

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=620857

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=410166

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377592

Now I have made a new part to sell you all that will fix the problem for our R1200R, even though I've not seen any reports of the final drive on the R1200R failing!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I could sell little pieces of simply machined aluminum for $33 to people for a problem that isn't really a problem on our bikes.
While Joe's solution to the RT "problem" is slick, to me this is a great example of internet hype getting out of control, combined with cabin fever to create a supposed problem that we've yet to see happen or be reported on the R1200R motorbike. I even asked my friend at local dealer about this, they've never seen it on our bike. Neither had another close friend at another large BMW dealer. Other bikes, yes, R1200R, no.
Posting about this "leak" in our R1200R forum is misleading to say the least, about the same as the final drive failures IMO.

Let me get this straight, a couple of RT guys with high miles, either by design or by them messing around with their tank in the first place by installing metal fittings into a plastic tank, had cracks develop on their tank, they then blew up the internet with the latest BMW design flaws conspiracy theory, rally the sue troops, which totally magnify the somewhat isolated problem that might have been self created in the first place.
Now, since Joe here can't ride due much to winter and is a crafty guy who maybe does machining for a living, and has been passing the time searching the web found this "problem" for an RT, a different bike than ours, cross posted the hype in the R1200R forum, which in turn has spread the fear since our bike shares this same pump.
Now, scared R1200R owners are taking their fuel tanks off and messing with them to fix a problem that doesn't exist for the R1200R, all while now buying $33 parts from the guy who brought this fear over from ANOTHER BIKE's problems and which now appears on the new pumps.

I call BS.

I'm not trying to discount Joe's work on this ring for RT or GS owners, but it seems like he should take and sell it on ADV or Sporttouring.net in the VENDORS thread, and not in the R1200R owners forum since this is NOT a documented R1200R problem or the correct place to sell things.
Where do you get off dude, I have an RT That went south at 35K, my R went south at 10K. It is the same pump and it is a defective design. My rear drive also died at 5,500 miles on my RT. My R should be immune though.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

mistral wrote: Where do you get off dude, I have an RT That went south at 35K, my R went south at 10K. It is the same pump and it is a defective design. My rear drive also died at 5,500 miles on my RT. My R should be immune though.

What does went south mean?
go to mexico?
So you have an R1200R that had this problem?
Photos?

*EDIT*

I get off by asking friends I trust who work at BMW dealers about "issues" and from 5 years of R1200R ownership and watching various fear threads come and go with issues from other R bikes that do not necessarily apply to us.
There's nobody in this thread who said they actually had this problem, and I did a search with no luck to find one.
According to my sources and what I hadn't seen this hasn't been a problem for our bikes, therefore I'm doing my thing, speaking my mind and playing devils advocate.
If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, so be it. Known to happen now and then.
Get Lost!
mistral
Basic User

Post by mistral »

My bikes are both 2007 models. I really doubt that the R is the only one that had a problem. It is possible that for some reason RT's got most of the bad fuel pumps. Who knows for sure, but BMW knows they have an issue. They replaced my RT fuel pump under warranty. My R bike was out of warranty. I fought with them and they agreed to pay for half of the pump. The rest and the labor was one me. I have a receipt for the work. cost me about $450.00 I think.

As far as selling a ring for $33.00 I have no problem that. The last time I checked it was a free market. You don't have to buy it if the price is too steep. You can make your own, too. I put metal disconnects on mine which in theory should be a plus.
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by OU812 »

Here is the fix I am going with.
Joe, what's up(your ass)? :lol:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 61&page=18
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F