Pistols

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Pistols

Post by Hawkman »

Reading the "Gun Question" topic, it seems that many of you fellas are fairly knowledgeable about your firearms. Just today, I received my pistol permit after many months lost in the bureaucratic wasteland of the Connecticut State Police. I am in the market for a pistol. This is for purely recreational purposes (I have a large dog for home defense.) I thought that I would crowd source some suggestions from one one not trying to sell me something. I like the look and feel of revolvers, but I'm not set on one vs a semi-auto.
Are there any pistols that people think are a good value/starting point? As home defense is not a priority, I doubt that I am looking for something larger than a 9mm, and a .22 probably makes the most sense if I'm going to be shooting a lot. I am comfortable with the larger calibers but I don't think I need it.

I'd be glad of any suggestions.
(Just to be clear: I'm looking for specific makes and models and not a pro vs con of 9mm's s' .22's vs .45. etc)

Cheers!
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Re: Pistols

Post by rdsmith3 »

As a matter of fact I just bought a 9 mm semi auto. I don't know much about guns, but I went with 9 mm as a balance between cost of ammo and "stopping power" whatever that means. (I already have a 12 ga shotgun for home defense.) I just ordered 1,000 rounds for $200 shipped to my door, so it's only $0.20 per round.

Semi-autos are pretty reliable these days, and hold more ammo than a revolver, even in the wonderful state of NJ. (We are maxed at 15 round magazines.)

So after deciding on 9 mm and a semi-auto, there are just so many choices out there. Try out different guns. Even if you are unable to fire them all, at least hold them to see how they fit your hand. I ended up getting a Walther PPQ, but you have to decide what is best for you. Mine should arrive today at my FFL, just in time for my birthday.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

For me, home and on-the-road protection, it's all about small, light, easy to conceal. I use to carry a S&W 38 light-weight body gaurd. It, and this Ruger LCP 380 will slip easily in your pocket. It's plenty strong enough and much easier to live with and use than a huge 9mm.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I should have mentioned that we do not have concealed carry, or open carry, or any other kind of carry in NJ, so I was not looking for something to fill that need.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Wow, where to start? The list goes on and on!

It is very hard to beat Ruger firearms (like the lcp listed above), they are made in the US, very well priced, over built and they stand behind their product 110% for the life of the gun. They do not list a specific warranty period because theydor not have to. If an issue rears its head, call them, send the gun and they will make it right.

Now, for recreational shooting, the Ruger MK I, II, III or 22/45 are outstanding pistols. You can shoot them all day and smile the whole time (I have the Mark I and II, but the III is the newest line, and 22/45 is the same action based on a 1911's .45acp ergs). The older Colts woodsman is another favorite.

For revolvers, the Ruger Single-Six is amazing (I have a couple!) they come with two cylinders, .22 and .22 mag, so if you want a little boost, slap in the .22 mag cyl and enjoy! Plus the .22 mag hollow point is an amazing little round.

For larger cal., I really enjoy my LC9, small accurate and fun to shoot, larger than the LCP but a better fit in the hand for me. That being said, I am not a huge fan of the 9mm, my target guns are 1911's in .45 acp and .38 Super. the .45's are wonderful, but it is hard to beat the .38 super for follow-up shots.

Also, check out the Walthers PK22 (I think that's the name) and Smith and wesson make a great semi-auto.

Good luck, be safe
2004 Roc.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Don't count out the Browning Buckmark. It is a pleasure to shoot, and didn't cost an arm and a leg when I bought mine. It comes in many variations. It fires the 22lr round.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

owldaddy wrote:Don't count out the Browning Buckmark. It is a pleasure to shoot, and didn't cost an arm and a leg when I bought mine. It comes in many variations. It fires the 22lr round.
I was having a moment and cannot believe I forgot the Buckmark, I love this pistol, my camp model is outstanding and probably the only gun I have that is truly abused, It lives in my pack whilst hunting.

And the Hi-Power is one of the most under-rated/appriciated, finest pistols made (if you have large hands)
2004 Roc.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I'd love to have a Hi Power. I have shot one that a friend owns, it maybe old tech. But it really works and can take a lot of abuse. Talk about old tech. I only own one 9mm. It is a S&W model 39. The first semi-auto pistol approved for police work. I'm not sure how old it is, but it has survived well. It does like quality factory loads though. Reloads better be done right. I shot the Walther you mentioned last year, it would be a good choice as well. Good trigger action. When I picked up my Buckmark, it was on sale for $200. That was the biggest reason I purchased it. I'm glad I did. Just stay away from Remington Thunderbolt ammo. That stuff sucks. We started calling them Thundersquibs :)
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I agree with staying away from Thunderbolt ammo, I have had a couple rims seperate from the case requiring too much work removing it from the chamber.

As for old tech., I stick with the 1911's and MK series beacuse it is proven, as is the woodsman.

Point is, read reviews, research, research, research. Spend a little more. Shooting is enjoyable until unless your are always clearing jams and having to "fix" issues. This also quickly becomes a safety issue.

Find a shop with an indoor range and ask to shoot thie different models. Most stores with a range will aslo offer a month pass of free shooting if you purchase from them (at least a couple local shops do).

One last suggestion for plinking if you happen upon a larger caliber is the Ruger GP-100 in .357. .38 Special is fairly affortable and this is just a wonderful revolver to shoot, plus costs much less than the S&W 686.
2004 Roc.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I agree with staying away from Thunderbolt ammo, I have had a couple rims seperate from the case requiring too much work removing it from the chamber.
Oh man, I never had that happen. Failure to fire (squib), and inconsistent firing causing the weapon not to cycle properly have been my experience with Thunderbolts. You can hear the difference in the report, some are loud and some are not. The price is right, but it isn't worth the trouble. I ended up giving a couple hundred away to a friend. Then he complained about the performance. He thought there was something wrong with his gun.
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I've also had a couple hang fires with Federal (as well as an underloaded shotshell that didn't have the power to push the wad out the bore, scary). I like or liked the Remington Peter loads as well as Winchester. Dad and I shoot about 2000 rounds each per year and have not had any issues. I miss the days of a 500 rnd brick for $5.
2004 Roc.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I miss the days of a 500 rnd brick for $5.
Me too. Even at $20/brick it is far cheaper to shoot 22LR. You can't buy 500 9mm for $20. I love killing paper. :D
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

jas wrote:I agree with staying away from Thunderbolt ammo, I have had a couple rims seperate from the case requiring too much work removing it from the chamber.

As for old tech., I stick with the 1911's and MK series beacuse it is proven, as is the woodsman.

Point is, read reviews, research, research, research. Spend a little more. Shooting is enjoyable until unless your are always clearing jams and having to "fix" issues. This also quickly becomes a safety issue.

Find a shop with an indoor range and ask to shoot thie different models. Most stores with a range will aslo offer a month pass of free shooting if you purchase from them (at least a couple local shops do).

One last suggestion for plinking if you happen upon a larger caliber is the Ruger GP-100 in .357. .38 Special is fairly affortable and this is just a wonderful revolver to shoot, plus costs much less than the S&W 686.
Have to agree on the Ruger (mine is the 6" model). This is my "camping" weapon - .357 Mag/snake shot every other round. (Encounter a lot of Rattlesnakes locally) 4" barrel is a good conceal/carry weapon and very reliable. Prefer my Beretta Cougar(s) .45/.40/9mm auto for conceal/carry times (can remove clip and get passed MOST gun laws).
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I guess it is time to actually look in the safe! I love the 96F but too large to conceal on my skinny build. That's where the 1911 works well, very slim - and I am also more than happy with the LC9 and LCP. My GP-100 has the 4" and really shoots well, the 6" must be a real nail driver.
2004 Roc.
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I use a Colt Combat Commander for self defense, outside the house. Tough to beat a .45. I can hit the head on a target at 25 yards with it, no problem. Here we go again, talking old tech. Since I live in Ca. and am restricted to 10 rounds in a magazine, it doesn't make sense to buy something new that can hold more rounds. However, there is no limit on how many magazines you can carry. :)
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I had an instructor say that if you rely on a high capacity magazine, you should also file the sights off the gun so that it is easier to pull out once the "bad guy" is done with you.
2004 Roc.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

jas wrote:I had an instructor say that if you rely on a high capacity magazine, you should also file the sights off the gun so that it is easier to pull out once the "bad guy" is done with you.
LOL!! If you need more than 2 shots, its all over anyway. Always thought the 7 round mag was just overkill. ;)
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

I have a cheap Makarov 9x18 caliber for carry purposes, and recently bought a .40 caliber Springfield XD-40, service model for fun, and in the home. Got a couple of 12 ga. pumps around the house for the coming Zombie invasion. Buy more bullits, in case the Obama plauge spreads over the next 4 years.
Hassy
Basic User

Post by Hassy »

Well...I think it depends on the effect of the gun you need. If you need some stopping power-magnum .44 or desert eagle are always at your service. home protection from zombie invasion requires a shotgun and a whole lot of rounds. shooting speed-semi-auto gun.

I wanna buy a russian tt-33. It has proven itself during ww2, it'll prove itself again if necessary.
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

I don't know about this Russian tt-33, may be something i need to look into. The gun that I did not mention, because this thread started on pistols, is the Galil assault rifle. This is a sweet shooter, .223 caliber, well able to take the Zombie head shots, and many at that. Got 2 clips of 35, and 2 clips of 50.