My New RT!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

My New RT!

Post by Xdot »

Most of you know I've been complaining about the noise levels on my R1150R. I love the bike, but the aerodynamic noise has been causing me some problems. So, I've been experimenting with various fairings. I even bought a Parabellum Scout. But the quietest I could get the bike was with my modified Parabellum SuperTour with a two-inch extension at the top and TankWings. I can say it was... not bad. I was _very_ disappointed with the performance of the Scout. While it looked AMAZING and the quality was outstanding, the booming was back. At least with my modded SuperTour there's virtually no booming at all. But even then, I didn't feel comfortable riding more than an hour or so. So, I've been looking.

There was never any question about staying with BMW. Never even thought about it anything else. And I was pretty much sold on Boxers. I gave the F800ST some consideration and even found one in Atlanta, only about three hours away. But when the place told me I wouldn't be given the luxury of a test ride, my interest dried up. That's an expensive mistake I can't afford to take a chance on. So I kept looking and found a lovely '04 R1150RS about seven hours away. That's a long drive for a bike I've never ridden. I was really debating driving over to Greenville, SC when an '02R1150RT with 17K miles popped up in Chattanooga at Pandora. That's less than 2 hours away and I'd ridden an RT and knew it was quiet.

So I drove over there and it was gorgeous. Three piece luggage practically never used. ABS. Heated Grips. Little chrome covers on the brake and clutch master cylinders. Brand new Avon tires. (Don't know much about them but the reviews are good.) The only flaw was a scuff on the right rear brake-light housing and the right mirror, like it had been dropped. But they weren't crushes and there were no other marks anywhere on the fairing, etc. It looked more like something had scraped against it. It started up cold perfectly and idled real nice. Checked the final drive and it was smooth as silk. The test ride was sublime. Naturally, I bought it an rode it home in 40 degree weather.

After a week, I LOVE the RT. Except for the fact that I can't flat-foot the bike, I am absolutely satisfied. The only place I don't like it as much is in the driveway. It is a little heavier to move around and I'm more on my tiptoes. On the road, it feels more stable thanks to the fixed fairing, and for me it handles every bit as good as the R, if not better. Again, for me. Maybe it's just the lack of the noise that is giving me more confidence, but I do think I made the right choice. I will probably go with some Ohlins or Wilburs and have them lowered an inch. If that isn't enough, I'll get a low Sargent seat. I've heard that's the solution. Speaking of which, did these bikes come stock with Showa shocks?

So there it is, I joined the ranks of the old men hiding behind the massive fairings. Sadly, it means I have to sell my R1150R. I will always have really fine memories of that bike, especially when it is quiet and I can hear my ears ringing! If anyone is interested, it's a very nice Dakar Yellow and Ferro '02 with heated grips, ABS, luggage, throttle meister, Wunderlich Touring handlebars, Aeroflow TankWings, and the quietest windshield not made. I will also be selling separately a rear-seat cover, and an extremely robust, solid metal, rear rack by BestRest. They don't make this one for the R1150R anymore and it's the best one I've seen anywhere.

I still plan to contribute to this site mechanically, as the R and RT share a lot of commonality so I'm not disappearing, just preserving my hearing. BTW, my son and I went for a ride today, me on the RT and he on the R (he's 19 and a very good rider) and he said it was extremely quiet. Oh well, I guess it really is just me.

John

Steeds In The Stable...
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
slowtorque
Lifer

Re: My New RT!

Post by slowtorque »

Congrats! I know even with my Aeroflow I wear quality ear plugs (the excellent beeswax and linen variety). I would not ride a motorcycle of any kind without them. I know the Aeroflow is no longer available (mounts discontinued) for the R1150R, but if you could find one I bet you'd reconsidering selling the RR.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I thought about that, but in the end I decided I was probably better off getting an RT, than trying to turn my R into an RT. And I've tried about six different windshields already and it's getting expensive...
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

I have no doubt you made the right decision there. Enjoy your new quiet ride.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I've seen many folks on this forum try to make their R anto a RT. Xdot...you figured it out....by a RT.
Buckster '03R
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Speaking of which, did these bikes come stock with Showa shocks?
Yes.

On the matter of the seat: I'm 5'10" and like you was on the tips of my toes - even with the seat on its lowest setting.
The previous owner - who was a similar height - tried to solve the problem by pealing back the vinyl seat cover and carving out some foam. Ugly! And ineffective because part of the problem is the width of the cushioning.
Rather than buy an aftermarket seat I took it to an auto trimmer who used the old seat pan to build me a custom cushioned and covered seat.

I can now place the balls of my feet on the ground and feel secure - though potholes, gravel & gumnuts are still a worry.

Alas, having had the seat recovered I still get a sore backside after 2 hours in the saddle. I'm hoping the Airhawk cushion will sort that problem but I haven't had time to put it to the test.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
n.i.paul
Basic User

Post by n.i.paul »

Hi John, I recently did the same. sold my 03 R and bought an 03 RT(silver). Love it to bits but also wasnt comfortable on tip toes, I'm only 5'6", so bought a BMW low seat off ebay. Makes all the difference when stationary being able to get one foot at least flat on the ground. Looking forward to getting out more when the weather improves.

Paul
N.Ireland.

Oh, and I'm not old either, I'm 46!! :lol:
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Heck after two hours my butt's sore sitting in my best chair :P

That guy did a damn nice job on your seat....where's he located?

Ron
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Not sure where in the world you are Ron but the motor trimmer who did the job (and who has a good rep amongst bikers) is in Mittagong NSW Australia. If you're interested ( and close)
I can send you his phone number when I get home. Currently fishing and drinkIng beer 900 km from home

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

n.i.paul wrote:Hi John, I recently did the same. sold my 03 R and bought an 03 RT(silver). Love it to bits but also wasnt comfortable on tip toes, I'm only 5'6", so bought a BMW low seat off ebay. Makes all the difference when stationary being able to get one foot at least flat on the ground. Looking forward to getting out more when the weather improves.

Paul
N.Ireland.

Oh, and I'm not old either, I'm 46!! :lol:
Paul, I'm 46 as well, and 5'8". I'll be looking for a low seat. Ultimately I think I'll be looking at upgrading to Ohlins or Wilburs and having them set up about an inch shorter than stock. That plus an inch shorter seat will make the bike very comfortable. After riding it for a month I know I've done the right thing.

John,
N.Alabama.

P.S. What kind of gas mileage are you getting. Mine's around 35 mpg on 93 octane which is too low. Got to figure that one out.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster