Pistols

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Pistols

Post by Hawkman »

Ok so after some testing and much consideration, I've decided on the Glock 17. The two that it came down to were the Glock and the Walther PPQ. I liked the feel of the PPQ in my hand, but I was not a fan of the mag eject button and found it a little too light when firing. The Glock has always felt good in my hand and I shoot very well with it too. Since the price difference was negligible between them, so the Glock is my pistol of choice. I'm excited about it.

Also since shopping this weekend, I'm starting to get interested in rifles. I'd also be interested in any suggestions in what to consider.

Thanks for your input everyone!
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
Garandman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1021

Post by Garandman »

Unless you intend to go hunting, a .22 rifle is tough to beat. They are allowed at many indoor ranges, aren't expensive to buy, the ammunition is inexpensive, and they don't make as much noise. Centerfire rifle cartridges are rather expensive.

If you walk into any gun shop they'll have a rack of used .22's. I favor bolt action rifles with a magazine and aperture sights. A good place to start is one of the Savage Mark II models (also available in youth and left-handed) that run $200 to $300 new. They are pre-drilled for scopes, although for training purposes I prefer iron sights. The Mark II G is a carbon steel / wood stock model but they have stainless models, synthetic stock models, heavy barrel models, etc, etc.

I have a Mossberg 44US that was manufactured for training use during WWII, then sold through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program - http://www.odcmp.com). It's a long, heavy rifle closer to a target model than the sporters most often sold. I added a hooded front sight and a new stock. The stocks on these rifles were Birch stained to look like Walnut: I left the stain off. Total cost for this rifle was $135.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Hawkman wrote:Ok so after some testing and much consideration, I've decided on the Glock 17. The two that it came down to were the Glock and the Walther PPQ. I liked the feel of the PPQ in my hand, but I was not a fan of the mag eject button and found it a little too light when firing. The Glock has always felt good in my hand and I shoot very well with it too. Since the price difference was negligible between them, so the Glock is my pistol of choice. I'm excited about it.

Also since shopping this weekend, I'm starting to get interested in rifles. I'd also be interested in any suggestions in what to consider.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Congrats on your new gun. Those were actually my two finalists, but I went the other way -- Walther PPQ. The Glock will give you years of enjoyment.

Did you get gen 3 or gen 4?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Hawkman
Basic User

Post by Hawkman »

I got the 4 Gen. There was some concern over the recoil spring assembly in the first production run, but Glock has worked it out (or so say the internets). I'm very pleased with the operation and the feel. The shop had a deal on the a police surplus Gen 3 with night sights for $50 bucks less but it came with 2 mags while the gen 4 comes with 3. After having to buy the 3rd mag it was only a $20 price difference so I thought I'd go for the newer design. I'm pretty pleased.
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

That comes with 17 round mags, right? In NJ, we're limited to 15 round mags, which is what the PPQ has.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

And this is why we have weapons in the home as follows: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1941991 ... featured-1
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Hawkman
Basic User

Post by Hawkman »

Yes, 17 round mags. The Glock 19 has a 15 round mag. They sell many more 19's than 17's and the salesman was pushing me towards that for the carry aspect, but I did not like the feel in my hand.
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Howdy.

This is officially my first post here. I recently bought a 2012 R1200R after several years on my first bike, a 1985 Yamaha Virago 700, which I rebuilt and upgraded the suspension to modern standards with WORKS and RaceTech.

That said, I'm more at home with firearms, so if you'll permit me, here's my thoughts... which are worth what you paid for them. :)

The OP is just getting into handguns and at this moment in time wants something non intimidating and for target, not SD.

Suggestions for a .22 are good. They are inexpensive to operate and fun at the range. Basic handgun skills can be learned and a solid foundation can be built.

What to shoot them in? Out of the box, I'm going to suggest a revolver. The reason is simple... simplicity.

You can see if it's loaded, easily load and unload it, there's typically 6 in the cylinder, so you subconsciously make 'em count.

Why not a semi auto for the first handgun. Complexity. Is it loaded? (All guns are ALWAYS loaded) Is the safety on or off? What do I do when it jams? How do I disassemble/reassemble for cleaning?

Not to say these things are insurmountable, just common sense to make things easier for a beginner - after all, gun ownership is traumatic for many and one less facet to worry about is a positive thing.

What do I tell new shooters? Standard answer for me is a 4" .357, and you're thinking "what the heck?!"

Easy answer - they shoot .38Spl just fine. .38Spl is inexpensive and available everywhere. Good stuff to learn with, makes a bigger hole in the paper which is easier to see, and there's so many options in ammunition that you can gradually up the power level all the way from light target wadcutters to flame throwing bolts from heaven.

This way you can grow INTO the firearm as opposed to growing OUT of the firearm.

Revolver for reasons mentioned above. 4" for best overall size and if need be, can be used for SD quite effectively with even the lightest loads.

Shot placement is king, penetration is queen and all else is angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Here's something I'd like you to cut and paste and then remember.

1.) All guns are always loaded. (even when disassembled on the bench for cleaning.

2.) Never point the muzzle at anything you do not wish to destroy. (even when it's empty on the bench or when the cylinder is open or the magazine is removed or when the slide is locked back. Never means never.)

3.) Finger OFF THE TRIGGER unless your eyes are looking down the sights. (Means what it says literally and always. Make a big production of this and damn what anyone says about it, just do it!)

4.) Always be sure of your target and what's behind it. (Remember, you own the bullet until it stops moving and few things stop them - even targets.)

Personally I prefer large bore and although I have .22's, I typically use them to teach new shooters basics - stance, posture, presentation, focusing on the front sight.

Whatever you select, please let us know and best wishes.
angellr

Post by angellr »

Snapping Twig wrote:Howdy.

This is officially my first post here. I recently bought a 2012 R1200R after several years on my first bike, a 1985 Yamaha Virago 700, which I rebuilt and upgraded the suspension to modern standards with WORKS and RaceTech.

That said, I'm more at home with firearms, so if you'll permit me, here's my thoughts... which are worth what you paid for them. :)

The OP is just getting into handguns and at this moment in time wants something non intimidating and for target, not SD.

Suggestions for a .22 are good. They are inexpensive to operate and fun at the range. Basic handgun skills can be learned and a solid foundation can be built.

What to shoot them in? Out of the box, I'm going to suggest a revolver. The reason is simple... simplicity.

You can see if it's loaded, easily load and unload it, there's typically 6 in the cylinder, so you subconsciously make 'em count.

Why not a semi auto for the first handgun. Complexity. Is it loaded? (All guns are ALWAYS loaded) Is the safety on or off? What do I do when it jams? How do I disassemble/reassemble for cleaning?

Not to say these things are insurmountable, just common sense to make things easier for a beginner - after all, gun ownership is traumatic for many and one less facet to worry about is a positive thing.

What do I tell new shooters? Standard answer for me is a 4" .357, and you're thinking "what the heck?!"

Easy answer - they shoot .38Spl just fine. .38Spl is inexpensive and available everywhere. Good stuff to learn with, makes a bigger hole in the paper which is easier to see, and there's so many options in ammunition that you can gradually up the power level all the way from light target wadcutters to flame throwing bolts from heaven.

This way you can grow INTO the firearm as opposed to growing OUT of the firearm.

Revolver for reasons mentioned above. 4" for best overall size and if need be, can be used for SD quite effectively with even the lightest loads.

Shot placement is king, penetration is queen and all else is angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Here's something I'd like you to cut and paste and then remember.

1.) All guns are always loaded. (even when disassembled on the bench for cleaning.

2.) Never point the muzzle at anything you do not wish to destroy. (even when it's empty on the bench or when the cylinder is open or the magazine is removed or when the slide is locked back. Never means never.)

3.) Finger OFF THE TRIGGER unless your eyes are looking down the sights. (Means what it says literally and always. Make a big production of this and damn what anyone says about it, just do it!)

4.) Always be sure of your target and what's behind it. (Remember, you own the bullet until it stops moving and few things stop them - even targets.)

Personally I prefer large bore and although I have .22's, I typically use them to teach new shooters basics - stance, posture, presentation, focusing on the front sight.

Whatever you select, please let us know and best wishes.
Excellent thoughts! Love all 4 "Gun Commandments". Follow all of these religiously.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Hawkman
Basic User

Post by Hawkman »

Well It turns out that gun ownership is kinda like motorcycle ownership... Once you have one, you want another!

I just bought a rifle. It is a Henry Golden boy .22. It is very pretty! I'm looking forward to many hours of plinking! Also two guns makes range trips much more fun.

Thanks for all the advice!
~Eric
'03 Silver R1150R
angellr

Post by angellr »

Hawkman wrote:Well It turns out that gun ownership is kinda like motorcycle ownership... Once you have one, you want another!

I just bought a rifle. It is a Henry Golden boy .22. It is very pretty! I'm looking forward to many hours of plinking! Also two guns makes range trips much more fun.

Thanks for all the advice!
Heck, with 2 guns, you might just as well get another. An arsenal is the only way to go! :lol: Congrats on the Henry Golden Boy. Been looking at the hex barrel Henry lever action .357 Mag rifle. When I camp, its always nice to have a few options and pack only 1 type of ammo.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

M1's are considerabley more expensive now, and getting hard to find.
I am very happy with my G17 and G26. Good choice.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)