Jacket advice

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Jacket advice

Post by challey »

Hi all - it's been a very long while since I've posted here but I now need to tap into the combined wisdom of this august group.

The time has come for me to finally scrap my 10 year old Joe Rocket 3/4 length jacket. It was a decent piece of equipment and I'm considering replacing it with the JR Ballistic 8.0 and wondered if anyone here had any thoughts about the either JR or alternatives (my budget can only stretch to about $250). I should say that I don't really have a great need for a cold-weather jacket - my Oly Phantom 1-piece fills that gap. The jacket will see mostly spring and fall use but will also be pressed into service for longer warm weather rides that I don't want to wear the mesh on, so good ventilation is a must. The JR seems to have the edge on most in that regard, with their Max air flow system. The only negative I've heard is with respect to waterproofing - apparently the sleeves leak.

One alternative to the JR that I looked at was the FirstGear TPG Rainier. This is nominally a much more expensive jacket but the motorcycle clothing and gear web site that I often use (the same site that will donate a buck to R1150R.org if you check the box when you purchase something from them), has the 2010 version of that jacket for only a few bucks more than the JR. This jacket seems very nice and may have the edge on the JR in the waterproofing department (it uses a breathable waterproof shell rather than a liner). Haven't seen much praise for FirstGear on the on-line comments I've seen so far though.

Be interested to hear what you all have to say.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Jacket advice

Post by Boxer »

Challey, I've used only First Gear jackets the last 10 years and I really like them. The fit is nice, and both the Kenya and the 3/4 length one I have now (can't remember the name) have been super for keeping the water off in rain. They have plenty of vent openings and carry me most of the year until the very hot months where I switch to the FirstGear leather/tex mesh jacket.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Charlie - don't know what size you are but I just noticed a 'like new" First Gear Kilimanjaro I believe on page 2 of the advrider.com Flea Market. That is a good location to find both lightly used and all used up gear! If you have some time to look, there are lots of opportunities there to let someone else take the depreciation on gear!

This place is a good source for gear, especially closeout stuff.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

I would vote for the new version of the AST from Olympia but it is probably out of your budget range. Never thought too much of the JR line of clothes. I am shying away from any mesh jacket except the Motoport stuff myself. After a little get off this summer wearing the perforated Vanson, I do not think I would have fared as well with mesh.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
mcollect
Lifer

Post by mcollect »

1+ on the AST best jacket I have owned in 40 years of riding!
Michael
MG 78 LeMans
2002 R1150R
78 R100S
diethornig
Basic User

Post by diethornig »

You still have that jacket until now? Can you show it? Well, I wanted to have a nice overview of what you just said.. :-k
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Thanks all.

I actually have an Olympia Phantom (and a set of their snowboard gloves that I use for cold weather riding) and am very impressed with their stuff. The suit is an excellent value for the money and I'm sure the AST is as well. Unfortunately, it's really out of my price range at the moment, so my choices are more limited.

The Phantom fills the bill for cold weather, and I have a mesh jacket for the really hot spells. The new jacket would be for all those other times as well as for longer summer rides where weather conditions are likely to vary. This means that good ventilation is the number one priority with warmth and waterproofing secondary issues. This line of reasoning kind of drives me to the JR products, assuming their "Big Air" vent system works as advertised. The newenough-motorcyclegear folks actually have a closeout on the JR DryTech Nano at a price that's well within even my limited budget. (An aside - I've used these guys for years and have been very satisfied - they also donate a buck to this site when you buy something). Though that particular JR jacket has some serious design flaws (as if the hideous relective "Rocket" letters across the back were not bad enough, there's also the fact that despite the name, it's not waterproof), they probably can be overlooked at this asking price.

Thanks again and maybe see a few of you guys (Vann?, Boxer?) at HMSP this summer.

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Charlie - I'll be at Hungry Mother, barring unforesee circumstances! Hope you can make it!

I understand budget issues. My problem is that the expensive Motoport stretch Kevlar pants I got in the fall of 2010 have turned out to be the best riding pants I ever had for 3-season riding, so now I'm Jonesing for one of their jackets in the same material. Think $$$$!

Oh well - for now the old AST (now about 6 years old) and the perfed Vanson do the trick for the most part. The mesh Olympia mostly sees duty for hot summer dual sport rides now.

Good luck in your jacket search. I see a lot of interesting designs ruined with hideous graphics or logos!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

First Gear Kilomanjaro Air. great Summer jacket, and with liner, great cold jacket.
mine is 8 years old now, the new ones have more pockets and vents.

I think they dropped the "Air"
motorcyclegear.com is offering a $15 off coupon on a $269 jacket.

(and no offensive logos)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/ja ... _2012.html
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

I am going to recommend Motoport http://www.motoport.com/, however, think CUSTOM & $$$. I have enjoyed my mesh kevlar jacket/pants and know that there is some serious protection if I launch off the bike at 80+ MPH. There are some very good composites out there for under $300 that should also do the trick (I have one but it sits in the closet since I splurged on the Motoport).

Another good high-end brand is Rukka http://www.adventuremotorcyclegear.com/ and worth the $$$ if you live in a wet/moist climate where you plan on ALOT of rain.

The good side-effect of good gear investment, it helps one watch the waistline. :lol:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/zodiac-jacket.asp
I bought this last year in the fall time. It is very tough material and light. I did run into a light rain and remained dry. I didn't get a chance to use it in 90+ degree weather but it is supposed to keep you cool. I used a Thermolite liner from another jacket in temps around 40 and was comfortable. I called the # on the site and the guy is very informative. The jacket is very nice for the price! If you go to the IMS in Daytona, he will probably be there. You could check them out there.
Good luck!
Buckster '03R
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

MOTOPORT

I have the stretch Kevlar pants and a top that matches with all the level 3 armor. The pants fit very well and are cut big at the waist with suspenders. I wear them
with a mesh jacket also Motoport in the summer.

Yes, most expensive clothes I own; but then even a low speed get off will result in serious road rash. This stuff is tough.

At a Lee Park riding seminar last year I saw a guy tip his bike over and go to ground at about 3 mph; tore the crap out of the sleeve on his motorcycle jacket that had looked awesome before it came in contact with pavement.

It's a lot of money. Nonetheless, I think it's the stuff. My son wears his in level 4 armor. Lot of guys I ride with wear the stuff too; it's made here in San Diego county but they sell worldwide. It's a family outfit. They stand behind their stuff and it's good stuff. Probably the best stuff. IMHO////YMMV
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have been using a Revit jacket for the last few years, and I like that it has a waterproof liner, as opposed to waterproof fabric. It is cooler in the summer, and seems to be softer to the touch.

I have had 2 FG Kilimanjaro jackets, and if you know what size you wear, I can check Iron Pony's closeout section. I was mad at myself about 2 years ago when I passed on a FG kilimanjaro Air jacket that was less than $100. They were all gone 2 days later when i got my mind right.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

FirstGear Raniers are now on closeout for $232.
That is a lot less than I paid 8 years ago for my Kilomanjaro, and this is new and improved.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... acket.html
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.