A little rehab.

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

A little rehab.

Post by spoon »

Thought I would give a rundown some rehab I gave the 04 Rock with 40,000 miles on the clock.
First the symptoms:
Swing arm had some play, some noise/vibration in the rear end, general uneasiness.
I have previously replaced the FD big bearing and seal. This time I removed the swing arm and driveshaft. The rear right pin had ware on it. All of the piviot bearings had a notchy feeling, I have to wonder if the grease or almost lack of- did not have something to do with that. The driveshaft u-joints had a notchieness when at the extreame angle of motion. The u-joint bearings were slinging grease. Don't know if this means anything other than there is less of the grease that there probably was not enough of to begin with. The u-joints were 2 degrees out of phase. I don't know if this is enough to worry about but I put index marks on the shaft to check later. The pinion seal in the FD is weeping, I left that alone for now. The clutch slave cylinder was leaking.
The rehab:
Replaced the piviot bearings. On one of them the plastic cage was coming apart. When I reassembled I did not use any lock-tite on the piviot pins. I just put an index mark on the pin and case. Replaced the slave, and even though I could not tell anything was wrong before I took it apart, the difference in clutch feel and shifting is HUGE. Easer clutch movement smoother shifting. I was riding a Sportster while the Rock was in rehab and when I took the Rock for a shakedown I thought something was wrong with the clutch, too easy on the pull. I didn't put in the slave drain mod because of time, I will go back later and do that.
General observations:
The lack of lube/grease everywhere was appearent. I at least need to go over things more frequently. The piviot points for the brake lever and shifter, as well as side stand and center stand are examples. I have to wonder if a better grease could have been specified. Thats about it for now. There is still some noise that I have not identified-more to do. My thanks to all that have gone before me. The help that this fourm has given is huge and much appreicated. My skill level is high, ex-aircraft mechanic, current bomb builder. Even so the help from others made this very easy.

PM