High Comfort Seat vs. Low Comfort Seat vs. Russel Day

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

badbs101
Basic User

High Comfort Seat vs. Low Comfort Seat vs. Russel Day

Post by badbs101 »

Anyone have/tried these seats that can compare? I am new to the R1200R (2012 Classic Model) but not new to BMWs. In the R1200R Classic, I've found a bike that meets all my criteria except seat comfort. I find the stock Low Comfort Seat to be shaped comfortably but lacking in padding. I'm wondering if the High Comfort Seat is actually more comfortable than the Low Comfort Seat. Additionally, I'm 5'9" with a 30+" inseam so height may be an issue but comfort trumps flat footing in my book.

Any insight appreciated.

Barry
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: High Comfort Seat vs. Low Comfort Seat vs. Russel Day

Post by deilenberger »

Barry,

How many miles on the seat? The "Low" comfort seat is the same height as the normal height "standard" (or "uncomfortable") seat for the R12R. I don't think it's padding that causes your discomfort.

I have found every seat I've owned has needed at least 1,000 miles to start getting comfortable, and they get really good after about 40,000 miles (the seat has molded itself to my butt..)

The standard "low" seat for the R12R (which is about 3/4" lower then the one you have) actually was fairly comfortable for me when I passed the 10,000 mile mark on it. I own one of the "low" comfort seats, but it only has about 10 miles on it.. I wasn't patient enough to let it break in, I put back on my Sargent modified low BMW seat (which now has about 40,000 miles on it since I had it modified, and fits my butt fine..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Thanks deilenberger.

Anyone actually try both seats? I'd be interested to hear comparisons too.

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Does anyone know if 2011/2012 seats will fit a 2007? I have a chance to buy a 2012 comfort seat but don't want to get stuck with something I can't use. The seller doesn't know.

Thanks.

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
zackvis
Basic User

Post by zackvis »

Hi Barry
I have tried a few seats in my day and there is no good or bad seats really it depends on you backside shape ,weight ect. I found the R1200R stock seat the worst seat for comfort ever ,my bum bone got so sore after 30km i could not handle it ,where as my friend with the same seat and bike loves it.
I found a second hand Cobin seat on line and love it done some 700 km rides and there was no issues
If posible try before you buy ,thats why i opted for a second hand one as you can sell it for the same price again if you do not like it.
Just my 10c worth
DID YOU GUYS KNOW BMW R1200R WAS VOTED THE BEST BIKE EVER MADE
(by me)
keepon cruising
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Thanks for the replies. I bought the High Comfort seat and compared it to the Low Comfort Seat. I liked the Low Comfort Seat better. Payed the restocking fee and now I know which seat I like. Sometimes you gotta pay to know. :p

Barry
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Post by objectuser »

Since no one replied on the Russell, I'll say it's the most comfortable seat I've ever tried.

However, it does effectively increase the required reach of the seat. I have a 34" inseam and it was at the max for me (alas, I sold that seat when I first decided to sell the R).
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

Hey, Objectuser,

Are you saying that you could just barely flat-foot it? I have a 30" inseam and you've got me worried. I have this compulsion to get a Day-Long, but obviously can't if the reach is going to be a problem. Do you suppose that's why they want the pictures, and will compensate for the length of ones leg?

Peter
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Post by objectuser »

That's right. I could flat foot, but there's not much if any extra reach left.

There's a sport version of the seat that might allow more reach (I'm just speculating, no knowledge), but those wings on the Russell, the ones that make it so incredibly comfortable, get in the way of reaching the ground.

I don't think they use the pictures to help in the area of reach, but you could ask them. They are very responsive.

I also have one on my GS, and can only flat foot in my riding boots, not my sneakers. :lol:
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Hey I bought this seat and I'm glad I did. I have a 30" inseam and I am very comfortable on it. maybe not quite flat footed but close enough. I thought this would be a seat for when the wife was riding with me but I have not taken it off since I bought it (except to work on my ABS)

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too