Newbie with a few questions

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

sakibler
Basic User

Newbie with a few questions

Post by sakibler »

So I've been looking for a new bike since I sold my Aprilia RSVR last month. I was thinking I want something that was a bit more comfortable than the sport bike and something that I can put bags on. That lead me to the R1200R. I've been rummaging though this site a bit, and I've still got a few questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer or at least point me in the right direction.

1: What are the common problems with these bikes. Most bikes have at least 3-4 small fixes that you MUST make or else you will be stranded at some point or another. The Aprilia was the Stator and rectifier.

2: What are the differences between the years. I would love to buy used and save a few pennies if I can, but not if the 2012 has made significant improvements. I've looked online and I can find things about package changes (don't really care about ABS as I've never had it on a bike) but I can't find anything about motor, suspension, or frame changes. I want to make sure I don't buy an 07 and find out that the 08 was way better at corning or more comfortable.

3: What are the best options to outfit the bike with to make it good for touring (300-400 mile) as well as still be able to do daily commutes on (when its not over 100 like it has been). Like I said earlier, I'm looking for bags and it'd be great if they were waterproof and lockable. I'd also like it if they didn't look fugly as well.

Any help that you guys can give is greatly appreciated. I've put of test riding a bike because I don't want to fall victim to the bike until I know which one I might want.

Thanks Again
Adam
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Newbie with a few questions

Post by websterize »

1. Poor fuel strip design, leading to false-positive, low-fuel warnings. The strips fail at 12 miles or 12,000 miles. Counting up with the trip meter is more reliable than trusting the residual range computer to countdown to empty. It's an aggravation. Overall, the bike is a joy.
2. The biggest difference is the 2011+ models have the new, DOHC engine. Fit and finish of the newer models is a little more refined.
3. A windscreen (one size does not fit all) and the OEM system cases, which are lockable, waterproof and awesome.

I'd test ride one of the '07-'10 models as well as the 2011+ models to be sure. You'll probably like both iterations.
Last edited by websterize on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

2011 on, the fuel strip is eliminated and a float is used. Also the forks are increased in size to 41mm.

Needless to say, the new cam head motor is used.
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

Snapping Twig wrote:2011 on, the fuel strip is eliminated and a float is used.
I don't think this is correct. In the 2011+ R12R parts fiche at Max BMW, the fuel strip illustration uses the same part number as the 2007-2010 models. And it looks identical in the old/new diagrams.
Bill
Bamblys
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Bamblys »

sakibler wrote: I've looked online and I can find things about package changes (don't really care about ABS as I've never had it on a bike) but I can't find anything about motor, suspension, or frame changes.
Try the BMW with the ABS first. You'll soon see how much you care about having a bike with the ABS. Especially when touring in a rain.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

websterize wrote:
Snapping Twig wrote:2011 on, the fuel strip is eliminated and a float is used.
I don't think this is correct. In the 2011+ R12R parts fiche at Max BMW, the fuel strip illustration uses the same part number as the 2007-2010 models. And it looks identical in the old/new diagrams.
I can confirm this as the fuel strip on my 2011 r12r was replaced at 9,500 miles.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
r1200rclassic
Basic User

Post by r1200rclassic »

websterize wrote:1. Poor fuel strip design, leading to false-positive, low-fuel warnings. The strips fail at 12 miles or 12,000 miles. Counting up with the trip meter is more reliable than trusting the residual range computer to countdown to empty. It's an aggravation. Overall, the bike is a joy.
2. The biggest difference is the 2011+ models have the new, DOHC engine. Fit and finish of the newer models is a little more refined.
3. A windscreen (one size does not fit all) and the OEM system cases, which are lockable, waterproof and awesome.

I'd test ride one of the '07-'10 models as well as the 2011+ models to be sure. You'll probably like both iterations.

I have to completely agree with this post... nailed it! +100
2012 R12R "Classic" - ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Computer, Windshield Sport
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I have a 2009 model and so far I have not replaced the fuel strip. I use two methods of backup to the bike's fuel computer. I set the trip odometer to zero and when I reach about two hundred miles, I know that is an indicator of when to refuel. I also have a Garmin Zumo GPS that records fuel usage. I have the GPS fuel computer set at two hundred miles and the GPS alerts me and also has an option to show me where the nearest gas station is located.

I love this bike and have toured many times, the longest trip I have taken so far is 2,900 miles.

My friend has a 2011 model and I have ridden that bike and the only things I have noticed different from mine are the following:

Shifting gears is smoother on the 2011 model. My 2009 tends to make a "clunking" sound when shifting, especially into first gear. The 2011 seemed to be lighter in the front end steering than my bike. I could no discern any difference in the power band, despite the one extra horsepower on the 2011.

I would suggest the BMW side cases and the small top case for touring. Also for winter riding, add a windshield larger than the BMW stock. I have a 24" Cee Baileys. In the summer, I ride with the "tall" BMW shield. You may want to add a seat bag or a waterproof duffel for touring trips. I use a Touratech Streetline seat bag for short trips and a BMW waterproof duffel for long tours.

If you buy a used bike, older than 2010, you will want to replace the stock BMW "torture seat" with the BMW Comfort Saddle. BMW wised up and offered the Comfort Saddle as stock for 2010, 2011, 2012 models.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
sakibler
Basic User

Post by sakibler »

Thanks guys, this is excactly what I was looking for. Now the hard part comes... Trying to find one for a good deal. I've been searching google and it appears that used bikes don't come with much of a price break over MSRP. But, most do throw in a few goodies. I'm really hoping to find one that come with at least the side bags, I don't know if I could buckle down and pay the money they want for those things.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Here is a member's bike as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdO7xPdD ... e=youtu.be with the craigslist add in the comments. Very clean bike from what I can tell (no endorsement, just putting two people together here).
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
sakibler
Basic User

Post by sakibler »

So can anyone tell me why the BMW site puts the MSRP at $13K and there are dealers selling these bikes for over $15K? Are they looking to leave room for bargaining or are these bikes just in that high of demand that they can raise the price that much?
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

2011 and 2012 bikes have the BMW comfort seat which is an improvement over the stock sport style seat. 2010 and up bikes have the cam head motor.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
websterize
Lifer

Post by websterize »

sakibler wrote:So can anyone tell me why the BMW site puts the MSRP at $13K and there are dealers selling these bikes for over $15K? ...
Because the base MSRP includes ABS and ASC only. The bikes you're seeing likely have additional options not included in the base price -- ESA, heated grips, bag mounts, etc. A fully optioned 2012 R12R can sell for more than $16,000 MSRP. As with most things BMW, the options add up quick.

See http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2012_r1200r_bmw_info.htm for 2012 pricing details.
Bill
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

What part of the country do you live in? Perhaps a member is near you and can keep the eyes and ears open for one?
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
sakibler
Basic User

Post by sakibler »

I'm in Indianapolis. There is a dealership right in town, but I've never had the best experience with them. If I can't find one anywhere else, I'll give them another shot.
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

Snapping Twig wrote:2011 on, the fuel strip is eliminated and a float is used. Also the forks are increased in size to 41mm.

Needless to say, the new cam head motor is used.
Sadly, the fuel strip is still used on the 2011 R1200R (guess how I know). Given the frequent rate of failure, I think it is actually a subtle BMW feature to remind the owner to have the bike serviced. Oh look, the fuel strip failed, it must be time for an oil change...
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Looks like I was wrong.

Mea culpa.

Trying to remember where I read that...

IIRC, it was 2012 on, but you're probably right.
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

sakibler wrote:What are the best options to outfit the bike with to make it good for touring (300-400 mile) as well as still be able to do daily commutes on (when its not over 100 like it has been). Like I said earlier, I'm looking for bags and it'd be great if they were waterproof and lockable. I'd also like it if they didn't look fugly as well.
Hi Adam... lots of us are very happy touring on the R as is. Windscreen seems to be the most common upgrade but I'm still on the stock flyscreen. Seats are another issue for most as you've no doubt read. My stock comfort seat is working great as-is. YMMV.

You didn't mention if you find the BMW cases fugly... either way they work great once you get used to the lack of 'squareness' inherent in the design that can make packing tricky. I like the look and how easy they are to use - perfect IMHO. And yes... the fuel-strip will likely fail, but an odo check takes it out of the equation. Mine failed around 8k mikes.

Just got back from a 4-day camp-n-ride in northern NH and ME covering 1400 miles. I packed cushy and all fit nicely with a drybag added to the pillion but with motels you can easily get by with just side-cases.

Packed for the trip home:

Patch
2011 R1200 R
sakibler
Basic User

Post by sakibler »

1400 Miles sounds like a good trip.

So if I decide to go new, what kind of options should I be ordering. I really like the paint of the Classic, but I Hate the spoked rims. Is the ESA worth it? Onboard computer? Chrome exhaust? Sport windscreen?

I've read that the standard exhaust likes to rust and turn brown. Is there anything that you can put on it so that it doesn't turn brown?

All the choices :o
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

First off, the exhaust is stainless, so don't worry about the color because it isn't rust.

Classic vs standard...

I could have bought a Classic for $1400 off list, but because of the spokes/tube tires and therefore no tire pressure monitor TPM, I paid full boat to get the standard.

The TPM has already paid dividends. I leave the computer screen set to TPM while I'm riding and several times it has let me know bad road conditions weren't tire problems. Worth its weight in gold!

ESA is nice, but the suspension is still the standard grade (Showa I believe) shocks. Several aftermarket shocks are available if you wish to go that route and upgrade later, kind of wish I did, but I selected standard non ESA and I'm installing some Yacugar's in a couple weeks, so either way, it's OK.

Computer - of course, get it! Why go half way? This bike calls for it.

Mine had the sport screen, but a call to Ceebailey and I swapped it out for their screen that uses the sport frame. Very nice. :)

I added GS handguards, Beemer Buddies grip wraps (makes the grip larger in diameter and lets the heated grips work) Wonderlich throttle lock and mirror extenders.

Get the panniers!