New to BMW - Need Advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

400dvr
Basic User

New to BMW - Need Advice

Post by 400dvr »

Hey guys, I am looking at an '04 R1150R with 9000 miles on it; asking price is $5250.

At first this seemed like a good price to me, and while about 1000 above my budget, I could stretch my budget to make it work if necessary.

The problem is that I don't know anything about BMW engines, I have always been a CB inline4 kind of guy. So when I gave it a look over, I saw that most of the bolts on the front of the engine case looked like they were starting to rust, I was surprised.

Is this kind of wear normal?

Thanks
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New to BMW - Need Advice

Post by gregor »

Just checked my '02 with 20,000miles. And yes, the ends of some screws are rusting. Looks like they are plated. Does not worry me as it is not too bad.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Post by DMM »

Yes, that is normal, even if mildly irritating (if you are one who prefers to keep your bike clean).
They are easily replaced and I've seen some (through Wunderlich) that are colored (red, blue, etc.) and may not rust.

Things to look for: make sure that the zip ties have been cut/removed from the wiring bundle under the triple tree/headlight area (do a search on this forum to get detailed information) and make sure that the bike has been well maintained. The bike you mention has so few miles on it, I'd wonder if it's been sitting a while or has been ridden regularly but only in local (stop and go) areas.
Member #725
400dvr
Basic User

Post by 400dvr »

Okay, thanks guys. I will check out the zip ties.

One other question though. To make this investment, I will have to take a risk that it will be trouble free for a year or so. Is this a bad idea? I have just test road an '05 Vstrom with 9.5K miles, had my local shop check it out, and other then needing some rubber will save me about $1000 bucks. Both bikes fit my purpose as a daily commuter.

Thanks again!
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

I hesitate to say this but it is IMO unlikely that the R1150R will approach the reliability of a well cared for V-strom. Let's just say the odds are against it. Some may disagree. I have not owned a V-strom, but I know several people who swear by them.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE