Heading to Canada Saturday (Montreal, Quebec) anyone around?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Heading to Canada Saturday (Montreal, Quebec) anyone around?

Post by deilenberger »

I know we have some R12R riders in the area.. I'll be with a few other chaps, likely staying in Montreal Saturday and Sunday night, then wandering via Rt 132 to Levis (across from Quebec), and staying in the Levis Convention Center hotel (they have special MOTORCYCLIST rates!) - and taking the ferry into Old City Quebec. Will be there Monday night and Tuesday night.

Tuesday - leaving Levis/Quebec, and wandering sort of foot-loose, (ie - basically sorta plan-less).. looking for good scenery and back roads to enjoy a few days riding. Will eventually head down to Vermont via Thetford Mines (just 'cause I think it's neat) and Shelburne.

Finally will probably (unless something else appeals to me) spend a day or two wandering down Vermont (hi Cy! Will be going past Thetfort VT I think..) heading for Bennington and then home. Expect to get home in a week or so (weather may effect how long I want to continue riding, if it's REALLY nice, I've never ridden much of the Adirondacks, so a circuitous route home could happen.)

Interested in meeting up? Dinner somewhere perhaps? Ping me..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
psycle.vt

Re: Heading to Canada Saturday (Montreal, Quebec) anyone aro

Post by psycle.vt »

Sorry Don - won't be there - sounds like a fun trip. I would suggest using US 5 rather than I-91 in VT (of course unless you want to do VT 100 or VT 14, both great North/South secondary roads)
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I'll be there, but in Nova Scotia (again).
Suggestion - In Adirondacks, pick up Rt 30 off Rt 11 (way up North) and ride it all the way South to Hancock, NY then take Rt97 to Port Jervis and then home. I've done it a few times and it's always been enjoyable.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
KMalo
Basic User

Post by KMalo »

mogu83 wrote:I'll be there, but in Nova Scotia (again).
Suggestion - In Adirondacks, pick up Rt 30 off Rt 11 (way up North) and ride it all the way South to Hancock, NY then take Rt97 to Port Jervis and then home. I've done it a few times and it's always been enjoyable.
+1 on that ride from Hancock to Port Jervis. I've done it a couple of times and found it very enjoyable as well.

Chuck
Chuck DeSantis
11 R1200R
75 850 T3
73 Eldo Project
K75C <RIP>
K1100LT <Sold>
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I'm temporarily back home.

We did go up the east coast of Vermont on the way north - all along the lake. Nice ride. Made it to one fabulous (and fabulously expensive) night in Montreal.. then had a medical emergency (eye related) that put me back on the road to home the next AM and to an emergency appointment with my Ophthalmologist. After some repair work, things aren't quite as good as new, but they're not getting worse, so I may be heading back out again tomorrow. Don't think I'll go as far as Canada again, might stick to the Catskills of NY, or play around in Vermont for a day or two. Did an all day test ride today (operation was yesterday) to see if I can ride, and I'm here to post so I guess I can.. :)

Anyone around in NY or VT who wants to go for a ride - gimme a ping! Local knowledge is always good.. I'm thinking of visiting Riedlebauers in Cairo NY (pronounced Cay-roo in the area) - the former home of the GummiKuh rally in years past. Great German resort with 3-squares a day and a bed for less then $100/night. Fond memories of crawling to my tent at that rally.

Harry, have a great time in Nova Scotia, and try the Glennora "scotch" while you're there - you'll love it (your wallet less-so, but you only live once..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

Hey Don, I've run the Quebec City Marathon several times which starts in Levis and goes along the St Lawrence to a suspension bridge which crosses the St Lawrence if you didn't want to take the Ferry. The ferry ride is about 1/4 mile :)

The suspension bridge is only about 3 miles South of Levis and dumps you onto a highway that takes you right into Old Quebec City. You must try Casse-Crepe Breton. It is the best Creparie I've ever been to. They make both sweet and savoury crepe's. The Cinnamin/apple with ice-cream is awesome. :D The address is 1136 Rue St. Jean, Quebec City.

Enjoy your ride.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield