FAILED ABS Unit

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: FAILED ABS Unit

Post by deilenberger »

celticus wrote: My dealer told me that the module was $1800 before tax $2000 after and then there would have to be a module meeting computer getting to know one another section with would require the use of the dealerships computer and software.
Mark
Mark, looks like the price is around $1750 (http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=08102012).. and how much tax do you guys pay? That looks like about 12% or so..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I gave Modulemasters an email so maybe tomorrow I'll get some good news.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

My ABS failed at 5 years, 41,000km (25,000mi) R1200R manufactured 8/07 - ABS + ASC (special order).
This is Australia, it's a one-owner (me) bike and has had regular servicing - on time basis rather than distance.
Diagnosis was that the ABS unit wouldn't power ABS operation - I'm guessing that's the modulator.

Quote (sit down, lads an' ladies) - $3,400 AUD for the unit. No, that's not a misprint.

Dealer request to BMW Germany: within 24 hours, BMW Germany authorises an ABS unit free of charge based on my full service history. All services done by my dealer bar the 30,000km which was done in Canberra by an independent (who had previously been head tech at my dealer and the Canberra dealer). My new ABS unit arrives 3 working days later and my dealer will fit it next week. I'll pay fitting (about 3 hours) but since the bike's long out of warranty, that's OK with me.

I'm pretty happy with that outcome.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

you lucked out and that's good-- what you just described WILL NOT happen where i live. i got out for 600. and i know thats cheap compared to most i've read about. at best you will get bmw taking part of the cost but even at that you've looking at 1000-1300 us dollas owner costs.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

uncle BS wrote:you lucked out and that's good-- what you just described WILL NOT happen where i live. i got out for 600. and i know thats cheap compared to most i've read about. at best you will get bmw taking part of the cost but even at that you've looking at 1000-1300 us dollas owner costs.
You know, Uncle BS*, I've looked through your posts. Not one is positive -most are negative , one or two are neutral. You claim this insider knowledge that doesn't gel with others who have good relationships with BMW north america. You've had a bad experience on ABS - shouldn't have happened, but you're a dataset of 1, and extrapolating that 1 to 100%. Your experience is valid, and I feel for you. Your assertion that your experience is all there is, or pretty much all there is, is incorrect.

BMW are a business, and sometimes they make decisions about profit or costs that don't suit customers. Agreed. But they also protect the brand , and in this case have done so, out of Germany. I'd bet the same has happened in north america. I'd bet your "most I've read about" is an unrepresentative sample, possible of one. I know of only one instance where BMW didn't meet 100% of unit cost, and that was a bike with no service history at all. Even then BMW met 50% of the cost.

I'm sorry it cost you $600, but really - it's time to stop peeing on everyone else's parade.

* Does "BS" have the same connotation in the US as here? Mind you, one form of my initials is "BS" too ...
Last edited by Caroanbill on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

+1 =D>

Thank you Caroanbill for saying what I and many others, I believe, are thinking. Hopefully, he'll go away once it is clear that no one believes his crap about having inside info, but in the meantime you and anyone else that thinks he is not worth putting up with can block him. This site and the other BMW related forums are the best barometer of the performance of the R1200R and it appears the bike is doing quite well; not perfect but well above average. Meanwhile the Barney Fife of motorcycle maintenance can continue to portray himself as in the know [-X with well placed sources unavailable to the unwashed masses.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

caroanbill/ mt beemer-- sorry yall cant handle the truth., and that is the truth. the r1200r has a proven history of design failures- i wont even bother to make yall aware of what they are -- as both of yall are drunk on the bmw koolaid......
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

and NO -- you will not get me to divulge insider information that would be detrimental to people's careers so flame away-- doesnt change a thing.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

This guy is funny.

Pretty hard to sell me on the statement that the R1200R has "proven history of design failures" when thinking of my experience on this bike and the posts on this and other forums since it came out.
I know full well what it means when BMW has a multitude of design failures, I had a first model year F800GS and puts lots of miles on it. That bike had many design problems, I found all of them. BMW supported me mostly to my satisfaction, even covering $1700 worth of parts after I was 10,000 miles out of a *no-service-record* warranty. That was an all new designed bike, us first model owners were the beta testers, the R1200R is far from a ground up design, only a vast improvement to my predecessor the R1150R, and an improvement to the early hex head bikes before them that had a few bugs.

I could set the ignore Mr BS, but for now I'll just laugh at this guy.
I'd say his unique ABS failure is directly related to that thing called Karma, judging from his demeanor. :lol:
Get Lost!
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

uncle BS wrote:…the r1200r has a proven history of design failures- i wont even bother to make yall aware of what they are …
No details, no cred. — simple as that. Coming off as a jackass is easy; sharing your story takes more thought.
Bill
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

uncle BS wrote:caroanbill/ mt beemer-- sorry yall cant handle the truth., and that is the truth. the r1200r has a proven history of design failures- i wont even bother to make yall aware of what they are -- as both of yall are drunk on the bmw koolaid......

and NO -- you will not get me to divulge insider information that would be detrimental to people's careers so flame away-- doesnt change a thing.
I call "BS". This guy is a troll.

Dear Uncle: if you want to convince me, first get an education in statistics, logic and english expression.
1. A sample of one (you) is a sample of one. I'm a sample of one, too. So using your grasp of stats, I could euqally argue BMW gets it 100% right 100% of the time.
2. You say you cannot divulge "insider information" because it is "detrimental to .. careers", yet of course your posts actually do divulge information (albeit unconvincing), then those self-same careers are in fact threatened. Your logic is circular and your espoused value actually transgressed. That, my friend, is pure BS.
3. "Yall" is a very unconvincing title: "both of yall" is - what - your attempt to sound like a redneck, to go wth the unsubstantiated conspiracy theories? Or can you simply not do plurals?

Are you by any chance a formerly wild pig?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Caroanbill wrote: Are you by any chance a formerly wild pig?
Exactly my thought.. and why I've blocked him. Wildpig has resurfaced over on BMW-Sport Touring forums. Hasn't offended anyone as of last night, with his first post. But give him time..

BTW: "bmw koolaid" is a classic WildPig saying..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

celticus wrote:I gave Modulemasters an email so maybe tomorrow I'll get some good news.

Mark
ModuleMaster has requested error codes. How do I inexpensively go about getting these error codes?
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
MTBeemer
Lifer

Post by MTBeemer »

celticus wrote:
celticus wrote:I gave Modulemasters an email so maybe tomorrow I'll get some good news.

Mark
ModuleMaster has requested error codes. How do I inexpensively go about getting these error codes?
Find a friend that has a GS911 or perhaps check your local club for someone that has one. Just checking your codes will not require the GS911 owner to list your bike on the device as one of the ten authorized (assuming it is one of the DIY level devices). Otherwise a dealer is your only option.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Sometimes I need the ASC more than the ABS ...

Riding it in to the dealer for the repalcement ABS unit this morning, a bit on autopilot but careful not to whack the brakes without ABS (lead brake foot means I'm a bit prone to locking the back without ABS) ...

... gave it the full herbs out of some traffic lights without thinking. No ABS = no ASC, so up comes the front ... WAAAAYYYY UP! YIIIIIIKES! :shock: :shock: :shock:

(obviously, I'm not Hetman or Joe Finn)
:oops:

Ah well, back to mornal this afternoon.
rpoppen
Basic User

Post by rpoppen »

Must add my name to this sorry thread. Brake Failure lit up on my '07 with 34K miles. Dealer says its the pump, which costs $1600 + labor. Has anyone found brake fluid change to help?

--Roger
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

fluid change out wont help- call modulemaster an get pump re built-- in some cases that's not possible or e bay taking your chances and buy one. don't waste your money on any used pump 09 and earlier as the failure rates are very high.

or you can pretend like several on here that bmw's never break. see posts above...

be advised only under certain VERY NARROW CONDITIONS WILL bmwna offer good will money and at most 1000 bux. i recomend you file a complaint with the national safety transportation board against bmw na- as i and many others have done. dont hold on to any dreams that bmw/ na will lift a finger to help you.
Las
Double Lifer

Post by Las »

Uncle bs- can y'all refer us to any published statistics on the pre 09 abs pump high fail rate that y'all advise about? .........also, could y'all tell us what the "NARROW CONDITIONS" are under which BMW "will offer good will money" for an ABS pump failure, and provide the source for this info? Lastly, is the "national safety transportation board" anything like the National Transportation Safety Board (which investigates transportation related accidents, not consumer complaints), or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( that does investigate consumer complaints about motor vehicles? (Y'all needn't tell us about this new national safety transportation board with which yall recommend rpoppen file a complaint if revealing information about this board will place your inside source at risk for his life!)

Oh, and one last question: Every family has a dirty old uncle. Are y'all the dirty old uncle of the BS family? I ask because I have heard more than one person say that y'all give BS a bad name.
Las
Double Lifer

Post by Las »

uncle BS wrote:you lucked out and that's good-- what you just described WILL NOT happen where i live. i got out for 600. and i know thats cheap compared to most i've read about. at best you will get bmw taking part of the cost but even at that you've looking at 1000-1300 us dollas owner costs.
So, uncle BS- could you enlighten us all? Just exactly where does BS live? I have found it to be quite ubiquitous; how surprised I was to have learned from you that it has a place if its own to go home to at the end of a hard day of spewing?
MTBeemer
Lifer

Post by MTBeemer »

Be kind to my buddy BS. [-X He's evidently led a tough life and cannot be held acccountable for what he types. :D
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT