Winterizing Our R1200R's

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

fleuger99
Basic User

Winterizing Our R1200R's

Post by fleuger99 »

For those of us that are new to the R1200R and that live in cold winter climates it would be very helpful if some of you "old timers" with the R1200R could put together a list of winterization things to do for our bikes. It would be greatly appreciated. :D
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Re: Winterizing Our R1200R's

Post by Karamazov »

Do you mean for riding, or for storage?
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
Fudge
Basic User

Post by Fudge »

I live in Chicago and all I do is fill the tank full of fresh fuel, wash the bike, put the bike on center stand and connect the trickle charger. The bike will easily store this way for 6 months. Some people add stabil or whatever, but honestly todays fuel doesn't go bad that quick.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Change the oil and filter if it has more than 500 miles or so on the current oil.
I do use Stabil; cheap insurance; I think today's fuel is pretty poor quality stuff compared to 10-20 years ago
Fill fuel tank to avoid condensation
Trickle charger about once a month
If indoors, cover with something like a bed sheet for dust protection

Did this for years while living in Alaska without problem.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
vroomr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by vroomr »

I also put plastic bags over the air intake and exhaust to prevent pest nests, spider webs, what have you. It was quite amusing to watch me start the bike this spring, as I remembered to remove the exhaust plastic but not the air intake cover, and I'm scratching my head about why the engine only ran for a second.
Richard
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I get out my heated gear, my seat heating pad, hook up the heat controller for the seat heating pad, put on my Wunderlich grip-mufflers, close the vents on the Aerostich and think about putting on one of my bigger windshields. Then I go and try to ride it once a week. I missed one week last winter. Geared up correctly, I'm comfortable for several hours in 30F temps. As long as there isn't ice or snow on the road - I'm on the road.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

In addition to what was said I'd suspend the front to get both tires off the ground when parked for longer times. I'd also take any opportunity to take the bike for a good run, keep the lube to where it belongs, when the weather allows it. Once a month is better than not at all.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Well, I fill the tank put the bike on my lifter, put the battery on the charger and last but not least and most important use antifreeze ...

Brgds
Oliver
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

Karamazov wrote:Do you mean for riding, or for storage?
I meant for storage for those of us poor souls that due to weather, cannot ride for 4 - 5 months.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

deilenberger wrote:I get out my heated gear, my seat heating pad, hook up the heat controller for the seat heating pad, put on my Wunderlich grip-mufflers, close the vents on the Aerostich and think about putting on one of my bigger windshields. Then I go and try to ride it once a week. I missed one week last winter. Geared up correctly, I'm comfortable for several hours in 30F temps. As long as there isn't ice or snow on the road - I'm on the road.
In the area I live they salt a lot and I'd never take my bike out on the salty roads even if there was no snow or ice. Do they not salt in your area?
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

omg1010 wrote:Well, I fill the tank put the bike on my lifter, put the battery on the charger and last but not least and most important use antifreeze ...

Brgds
Oliver
Hey Oliver,

Do you put the anti freeze in the radiator? How much and do you leave it in all year round? Thanks.
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I meant for storage for those of us poor souls that due to weather, cannot ride for 4 - 5 months.
Then I would echo Fudge's suggestion. Clean her up, put the battery on a trickle charger, and add a little Stabilizer to the fuel.
In the area I live they salt a lot and I'd never take my bike out on the salty roads even if there was no snow or ice. Do they not salt in your area?
Wisconsin salts the ever living sh!t out of the roads, but I've never worried too much about it. I'm only riding when possible, so it's not like a daily driver being subjected to salt. Like Don, I stay sane in the winter by taking the bike out once a week. It keeps the battery charged and me happy. I've heard of people coating the bike in WD-40 to protect from salt - not sure if it helps any...

Nathan
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

fleuger99 wrote:In the area I live they salt a lot and I'd never take my bike out on the salty roads even if there was no snow or ice. Do they not salt in your area?
They salt in NJ, but I've never obsessed over it, and there are no rusted fasteners on the bike that I can find (probably due to many of them being stainless..) If you are worried, a spray of the fasteners with BoeShield (an aircraft anti-corrosive, where they REALLY salt stuff..) should put your mind at ease.

Last winter - we had no snow in NJ, I got out all but one week. The winter before we had horrible snow in NJ, but I still only missed my ride for 4 weeks (not consecutive either..) There is an AMA sponsored event ("Polar Bear") in NJ that runs from October to the Spring, with a ride destination every Sunday someplace in the NJ area (a few are in PA and NY, most are in NJ), they make for a good "destination" for a ride, and we get a number of local club members who make it to most of them.

I wouldn't think MA would be that much different..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

They use lots of salt in Northeast Ohio. Last year with the light winter I was able to ride at least once a month all thru the winter. After I would ride I would fill a garden sprayer with hot soapy water and spray the lower part of the bike. Then I would rinse it off with the garden hose. No problems with rust. I am hoping for this winter to be like last winter. The older I get the more I dislike snow.

Roger L
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I used anti-freeze for a few years. Although the taste was okay, I found the hangovers too much to bear and gave it up.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

MTBeemer wrote:I used anti-freeze for a few years. Although the taste was okay, I found the hangovers too much to bear and gave it up.
LOL! :D
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

MTBeemer wrote:I used anti-freeze for a few years. Although the taste was okay, I found the hangovers too much to bear and gave it up.
That was probably some years back the story with that Austrian winemakers who used antifreeze to give their wines a sweeter taste ...

Brgds
Oliver
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

fleuger99 wrote: Hey Oliver,
Do you put the anti freeze in the radiator? How much and do you leave it in all year round? Thanks.
I leave that to your wild imagination. Also use the search function, there is a lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of Antifreeze ...

Brgds
Oliver
BobbyLeBout
Lifer
Donating Member #: 676

Post by BobbyLeBout »

I rode more in the winter than the other seasons because I had more time.
No bugs in the winter. Philadelphia
I agree with Don.
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

GERBINGS.
IBA #50026