Newbie with a few questions

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: Newbie with a few questions

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

I know this isn't true to the RR thread theme, but I just really like this pic I took of RoyB on his WeeStrom. 2006 on the road to Valdez:

Also from that trip. RoyB again along with our two bikes for that trip. This one on the Top of the World Hwy. The view went on for ever!!

tinytrains
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by tinytrains »

Snapping Twig wrote:Looks like I was wrong.
Mea culpa.
Trying to remember where I read that...
IIRC, it was 2012 on, but you're probably right.
I t is the R1200RT's that went back to a float (2011?). I suspect they don't sell enough R's to justify the redesign cost.
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

That 'splains it!

Thank you.
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Snapping Twig, Think the new RT got a float sensor for the fuel level indicator. Our R1200Roadsters have the notorious fuel strip. Hey, yours might NOT go bad. Good looking bike you have there.
BTW: any difficulty mounting the GS handguards? Tips?
Martyn
Basic User

Post by Martyn »

Snapping Twig wrote:Looks like I was wrong.

Mea culpa.

Trying to remember where I read that...

IIRC, it was 2012 on, but you're probably right.
I asked BMW GB about the fuel strip. The RT & the 1200GS range have gone back to a float type- 1200R still strip type.
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

So if I decide to go new, what kind of options should I be ordering. I really like the paint of the Classic, but I Hate the spoked rims. Is the ESA worth it? Onboard computer? Chrome exhaust? Sport windscreen?

I've read that the standard exhaust likes to rust and turn brown. Is there anything that you can put on it so that it doesn't turn brown?
I also migrated from a sport bike (CBR1000RR) to a 2012 R1200R and have found the transition very enjoyable. I do miss the high revs of the CBR and the list goes on about the cool things you can do with sport bikes, BUT as you may have read in this or other forums, if you choose to have only one bike, the R1200R is the bike that performs (well) across the most categories of riding.
I bought the R1200R largely because the test ride with my wife two-up went so well (...that and countless hours of research...). Then I took a trip (without her) and found that all the claims were true regarding the bike's touring capability (awesome naked tour bike), then shed the hard cases and unleashed it a bit in the North Texas prairie and again, wow...

The price point on BWMs is up there, but I found that once you get comfortable with the price, don't try to shave cost by removing options. I ordered mine without the sport screen, then bought one 3 months later. I purchased all system cases (RT, LT & TOP CASE) and these are perfect for touring (counting down... 4 weeks until a ~1200 mile Fall trip to Big Bend NP). :smt045

I love my R12R now, but to be honest, it did take some getting use to. Took delivery one year ago this month and me and the Boxer are still getting to know each other. It took me weeks to stop thinking that the bike was stalling on take off and almost 6 months to get used to the fact that you can't "coast"... close the throttle and the bike bleeds off speed like you're riding the brake.

The brown exhaust comment is about the headers, not the exhaust can and yes it will turn colors, but the 2012s are chrome, so they don't go brown, just blueish with brown spots :biggrin:

Last thing... if you read enough, you can start to get scared about the "things that go wrong" with BMWs and the horrors of dealership maintenance. Don't discount these real world possibilities, but temper the data with the confidence that BMWs have a solid reputation for quality... it's not Euro-snobery, it's fact that these bikes are fine pieces of machinery.
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

On options (new or used) - my two highest tips:

1. Always get ABS if you can. Buyers tend to expect it, so a non-abs BMW can be a bit of an orphan come resale.

2. Panniers. The OEM ones are easily the best I've ever used - so aerodynamic you literally don't notice them, and don't seem to exacerbate side-wind effects. They really do just "sit" there ... Group wisdom (and mine) favours aftermarket liners, plenty of sources on this board with RKA and Kathy's Journey designs popular.

Throttle lock - choose your favourite, but the engine braking on the R12R means they are a good touring add-on

Screen ... one word: idiosyncratic! Get six or seven, see what you like ...

Handguards - mentioned by another poster - look at Wunderlich and other open-ended options that don't mess with throttle locks (etc)

Ergos - plenty on the market to creat your perfect position

Smile - actually not an option .. comes standard!
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Chop96
Lifer

Post by Chop96 »

badbs101 wrote:2011 and 2012 bikes have the BMW comfort seat which is an improvement over the stock sport style seat. 2010 and up bikes have the cam head motor.
Cam head motor didn't hit the R12R until 2011 (not one in my 2010).
Greg
2010 R1200R Biarritz Blue