Which tankbag for new R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Jed
Basic User

Re: Which tankbag for new R1200R

Post by Jed »

Lindeberg wrote:Thank you very much for the pics Jed. The TT bag is first on my list at the moment I think.
The zipper issue that I have is actually a covering that's applied to the fabric of the zipper. It's peeling a bit in places. I assume it's to enhance the water resistant qualities of this fundamentally non-waterproof zipper. At any rate it's a small thing from my perspective. Just wanted you to have the whole story.

Sorry to all about the picture fiasco. I will sort this stuff out in the near future.

cheers,
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I have had the BMW tank bag on mine for going on four and a half years now and I like it fine. Others have found that it was not for them.

My BMW tank bag IS a black hole but I have always been sufficiently unimpressed ( your findings may differ ) with materials and build quality of other brands that I have looked for ways to make my tank bag work rather than buying another. The build quality of this bag is up to BMW standards and is better than ANY I have seen anywhere else.
It has not marred my tank at all and I never ride without it.
It is water proof without closing the drawstring. I have never used my draw string once.
I have small pouches within my tank bag that hold different things that I find myself needing on a regular basis. None of these pouches are black.
I have a pouch for my many daily prescriptions.
A pouch for multi tool like a Leatherman AND for a real old fashioned knife.
A pouch for the wife's cork screw and for my favourite rally bottle opener.
I keep books up in the zippered lid of the tank bag itself.
A pouch for a small screw driver and torx drive kit.
There is still much flotsam and jetsam here and there in my bag.
When the weather is bad I have been known to amuse myself by emptying the tank bag and re-finding all sorts of things I had forgotten I owned.
I haven't noticed any spots on my tank that appear to be getting worn or rubbed against by the tank bag.
It is VERY securely attached to the tank but can be a pain in the neck to get off when filling with gas. I have made it less so with a little dremel tool modification.
For fun ( I am an old guy ) I would like to have a Harro Elephant Boy tank bag. Also I might not mind trying out a Wolfman Bag someday. They look less cheap than most.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has experience with Giant Loop's Fandango tank bag?

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collection ... o-tank-bag
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

It looks quality. Wolfmanesq.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

Ordered one from RevZilla; I'll let you know how it works.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

My GL Fandango tank bag arrived in the mail Tuesday. Installed it in minutes; it fits our bike perfectly. The bag and mounting harness are very robust and solidly constructed. I opted for yellow for an extra pop of visibility (and I think it looks very dualsporty).

In a very simple way, the extra length of straps can be tidily stowed under the bag, and the bag can be partially unzipped and tilted to the side exposing a “cut-out” for access to the gas filler cap.

I have not had it out on a test ride yet, but I could not be more pleased!

David

07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I have a Marsee magnetic tank bag. It's just to the right size to be able to see my GPS and not hit it (the GPS) with the horn button with the handlebars cranked to the left. I don't know the model. It's okay but where the zippers go around corners they get a bit stuck. What I like about it is that it's easy on, easy off.; a function of the magnetic mount. So far I haven't scratched or worn the paint, something I was worried about. If I get another bag, it will also be magnetic.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

And I've got a Wolfman magnetic bag (had a Marsee before, too). Magnetics work well on our good old steel tanks. I just love the grab-and-go aspect of magnetics for commuting to the office, though that advantage is a bit moot since retirement. One word of advice if you go magnetic: watch like a hawk for stray paper clips! Just one missed clip can really chew up your paint. Oh, and the bag blows off the tank at 120mph, but that may be an advantage as it has stopped me from investigating even higher speeds...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Marty2
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 492

Post by Marty2 »

Has anyone tried the Cortech Super 14 magnetic mount on the 1200? I had one on my R1150R and IIRC it was a nice fit and about the right size for my needs.

Thanks
# 492
2013 Wee Strom
There is a thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Chop96
Lifer

Post by Chop96 »

I went with the Bags Connection "Engage" - LOVE the gascap mounting system and that the bag doesn't actually touch the tank at all. It's not large, but I don't want a big tank bag (obscure GPS, don't like the way it would look) and can fit a lot into the 7 liters inside this one. Doesn't get in the way of the bars at all (full lock to lock) and fits the contour of the tank perfectly. I don't have it on the bike all the time, but when I do, it goes on in about two seconds and when I have it on, gas stops are simple.

Link to TwistedThrottle: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /7283/451/

Here's a picture of it on the bike - it's cropped so the quality isn't that great. If anyone wants some better shots, just let me know.
Greg
2010 R1200R Biarritz Blue
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

Chop... I picked up the new Engage tankbag a few weeks ago from Twisted Throttle retail store. They changed the styling a bit - the new cavity for the mount system is located further forward then the old one which pushes the bag further back now. I have it mounted as far forward as it will go on the tank and it doesn't quite fit as good as yours.

I do like the bag - but wish it fit better.

Here is a pic:
2011 R1200 R
Chop96
Lifer

Post by Chop96 »

Patch wrote:Chop... I picked up the new Engage tankbag a few weeks ago from Twisted Throttle retail store. They changed the styling a bit...
They sure did. Bummer. When I got mine, I went to TT as well (the old store - I used to live in Wakefield) and took a few models outside to see how well they fit - the Engage fit the contour of the tank perfectly. I'm not sure if I would have gone with that one after the redesign, but I'm glad you like the bag. Either way, I LOVE the mounting system.
Greg
2010 R1200R Biarritz Blue
Marty2
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 492

Post by Marty2 »

I went with the Cortech 2 12 L magnetic mount. I've had several Cortech bags over the years without any issues. It holds everything I usually carry in a tank bag, is not overpowering on the R and is reasonably priced.

# 492
2013 Wee Strom
There is a thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

If anyone has a BMW R1200R tankbag that they are sick of please let me know. If we can agree on a price.. .. .. I have had mine since Dec. 06 or so and it has issues. I like it well enough that would like another.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I have a love hate relationship with my BMW tankbag but I'm keeping it. I've seen a few on E-bay the last few months but none right now.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Bamblys
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Bamblys »

Anyone used this tank bag?

http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-bags ... k-bag.html

I'm just looking for a waterproof bag that i can put my camera in and take it out fast and easy. This appears to not be fast and easy type but waterproof.
TT RDHS
Basic User

Post by TT RDHS »

celticus wrote:If anyone has a BMW R1200R tankbag that they are sick of please let me know. If we can agree on a price.. .. .. I have had mine since Dec. 06 or so and it has issues. I like it well enough that would like another.

Mark
PM sent

:D
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

mogu83 wrote:I have a love hate relationship with my BMW tankbag but I'm keeping it. I've seen a few on E-bay the last few months but none right now.
As of yesterday I had two of them on my ebay watch list. One semi-reasonable, the other one list price.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

Why are you watching them Don? I thought you didn't like them.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

I have a 28 liter BMW Top Case that clips right on to my BMW luggage rack. If someone has a tank bag and wants a top case we might be able to make a deal.

Mark
Air can hurt you too