Oil weep

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

tiPirate
Basic User

Oil weep

Post by tiPirate »

My R has 145,000 Km on it and runs like a top, doesn't burn oil and generally complies with whatever I ask it to do.

I have noticed than when I'm out for a good long run and really seriously caning it that I'll get a mist of oil on my left riding boot. The bottom left side of the engine has a coat of oil on it where there was none before. If I'm putting down to the shops it stays clean, ditto for slabbing. It's only the backroads barnstorming (200Km and lots of fun yesterday) that prompts a drop on the garage floor when I get home.

Case/cylinder union? Would that only happen it the engine were getting a workout and was carrying some heat?
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Oil weep

Post by omg1010 »

Could be the seal of the valve cover ... My first attempt would be to carefully re-tighten all the screws in that area, then clean and monitor ... With regards to the applicable torque suggest you get yourself the repair manual from carl salters website.

Could also be the seal between the valve cover and the spark ... And on the left side of your bike could also be the seal/plastic holder of the oil refill.

Brgds
Oliver
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Head, valve and spark gaskets inbound, along with a billet locking oil fill cap. Wasn't the oil switch, and I might as well freshen it up. 150,000 Km, after all.

Belt & braces, etc.
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Replaced both head gaskets, pretty obvious where the leak was coming from when it was all apart. The old style gasket had delaminated in the cam gallery on the backside, drivers left cylinder. Did both to be sure, and the right side was starting to show the same problem, just not as far advanced. Relatively easy job, had to index the cams twice to get it just right, that was the only fidgety bit. And that damned camchain tensioner on the driver's left. What a beast. About 4 hours actual work, all in.

Good for another 150,000Km. 8)