my first BMW 96 R850R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lowzero2
Basic User

my first BMW 96 R850R

Post by Lowzero2 »

Hello,

I just picked up my first BMW. A 1996 R850R. Has about 16,200 miles. Came with windscreen, hard cases, tank bag, backrest with rear rack, louder horns, Highway pegs, huge foam grips (being replaced with heated grips) & cruise control. The tires are in need of replacing. (cupped and squared off more than I like) A set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 are waiting to go on. Have used Michelin Pilot Powers on my sport bike for years and they never let me down. I haven't had too much saddle time yet, but its feels comfortable so far

Steve in NY
joelh
Basic User

Re: my first BMW 96 R850R

Post by joelh »

Hey Congrats on the bike. It is a beauty! I have a 96 1100 and absolutely love it. Really like your back rest. It is pricey at AC cycle, but my wife won't ride without a backrest, so I may pick one up.

Enjoy your ride
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

Nice looking bike! I got a set of PR3s for mine and love them. I must say I'm envious of your backrest too!
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

Thank you! I must say the backrest is ugly & expensive, but its very functional. I am happy to have it. The Motofizz seat bag fits perfect on the passenger seat and the backrest keeps it in place. Allows for me to have enough seat room and can even use the bag as a backrest. Getting it ready for month or so ride.

This was from my last trip Jan 2010 on a 09 KLR650

Sherman1
Basic User

Post by Sherman1 »

Woww
your bike is really awesome. The color of the bike is nice. How much you paid for this bike?
Well in which year this bike was build? I am also looking for a bike to buy because I have
Honda Civic 2009. I am crazy to purchase a bike and your bike make water in my mouth.
Anyhow congratulations man.!!
Last edited by Sherman1 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

Little Before & After

Last edited by Lowzero2 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

Wow! The new black style looks great! Like a completely different bike :) how did the bike perform on the gravel roads during the off road trip?

So, the plastic dipping, pros and cons campared to spray coating?

I'm thinking of a paint job for my own bike but I have not yet considered plastic dipping.

Awsome follow up! :P

Regards
Magnus
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

LillMange wrote:Wow! The new black style looks great! Like a completely different bike :) how did the bike perform on the gravel roads during the off road trip?

So, the plastic dipping, pros and cons campared to spray coating?

I'm thinking of a paint job for my own bike but I have not yet considered plastic dipping.

Awsome follow up! :P

Regards
Magnus

Thanks for the compliments. I used plastidip in a spray can. Purchased at lowes. I wanted to give the bike a new look on the keep. Always wanted it to be black vs green. This was a cheap way to see if I liked it before spending money on a traditional paint job. The matte black looks sharp, paint lays nice with multiple coats. It does scuff but so far hasn't scratched to the original paint. When I'm sick of it, it just peels off. If I get a nick, just spray and it covers up.

I used mothers back to black trim care. Made the gas tank plastic trim look brand new. Just didn't work on air box. Mine is really grayed. Also put on fork covers from a r1100rs. Haven't installed the r1100rs front fender yet.

Now to the off road. Hard pack it does a decent. Anything deeper than a dusting of sand it was sketchy. The front pushed a bunch. Bolders and rocks it lacked on ground clearance. In small rocks it was ok unless the rocks were several inches deep. I was fully loaded. Tank bag, full side bags, and a huge passenger bag. The overall weight with street tires and not able to touch completely flat footed made it a challange. The suspension did good but wasn't ideal. Once I got back on the road it was a dream machine. The other two riders I was with had a husky 510 & BMW f800gs. I was the week link off road.
LillMange
Basic User

Post by LillMange »

Lowzero2 wrote: Thanks for the compliments. I used plastidip in a spray can. Purchased at lowes. I wanted to give the bike a new look on the keep. Always wanted it to be black vs green. This was a cheap way to see if I liked it before spending money on a traditional paint job. The matte black looks sharp, paint lays nice with multiple coats. It does scuff but so far hasn't scratched to the original paint. When I'm sick of it, it just peels off. If I get a nick, just spray and it covers up.

I used mothers back to black trim care. Made the gas tank plastic trim look brand new. Just didn't work on air box. Mine is really grayed. Also put on fork covers from a r1100rs. Haven't installed the r1100rs front fender yet.

Now to the off road. Hard pack it does a decent. Anything deeper than a dusting of sand it was sketchy. The front pushed a bunch. Bolders and rocks it lacked on ground clearance. In small rocks it was ok unless the rocks were several inches deep. I was fully loaded. Tank bag, full side bags, and a huge passenger bag. The overall weight with street tires and not able to touch completely flat footed made it a challange. The suspension did good but wasn't ideal. Once I got back on the road it was a dream machine. The other two riders I was with had a husky 510 & BMW f800gs. I was the week link off road.
Sounds like an easy, temporary, mod to try a new colour scheme out! I must definitely try Plastidip out on something, buy maybe not on my bike at this moment. But I really love the idea of it!!

Same with my airbox, the polymer has really aged badly. By the way, did you plastidip the oil cooler fairings/covers?

The off road, wow, sounds tough. Your friends definitely had super off road bikes. I have also come to realise the R1100R's limitations when I in the end of last season slid down over a pavement edge by my local bike dealer, breaking off a bolt head so he skidplate came lose.. somewhat bitter feelings =)

Thanks for sharing, it is what keeps this forum alive.

Regards
Magnus
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

LillMange wrote:
Sounds like an easy, temporary, mod to try a new colour scheme out! I must definitely try Plastidip out on something, buy maybe not on my bike at this moment. But I really love the idea of it!!

Same with my airbox, the polymer has really aged badly. By the way, did you plastidip the oil cooler fairings/covers?

The off road, wow, sounds tough. Your friends definitely had super off road bikes. I have also come to realise the R1100R's limitations when I in the end of last season slid down over a pavement edge by my local bike dealer, breaking off a bolt head so he skidplate came lose.. somewhat bitter feelings =)

Thanks for sharing, it is what keeps this forum alive.

Regards
Magnus
No I didn't paint the oil cooler fairings/covers, just used the back to black plastic conditioner.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

The bike looks cool. I have been using a product called aerospace protectant 303 and it by far the best plastic,rubber restorer I have used and it is supposed to work on other things like leather and vinyl but have not tried it on them.It works better than the products mentioned in this thread. I used it on my golf cart tires last year and it still makes the tires look like new, what I like the best is it does not give a glossy wet finish that attracts dirt it returns the rubbers luster, like a new tire. My wifes Honda Crv has 280k and a lot of black plastic around it makes it look great. Its not cheap I think I paid around $55 a gallon but it lasts a long time. I don't own stock or have any connection to this company , just appreciate a product that works. I am not even sure where to buy it my friend got it for me, he sells golf carts and that's what they use on used carts.
Let us know how the plastic coat holds up.
Mike
Forgot to ask did you do anything to the panniers?
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

captaincable wrote:The bike looks cool. I have been using a product called aerospace protectant 303 and it by far the best plastic,rubber restorer I have used and it is supposed to work on other things like leather and vinyl but have not tried it on them.It works better than the products mentioned in this thread. I used it on my golf cart tires last year and it still makes the tires look like new, what I like the best is it does not give a glossy wet finish that attracts dirt it returns the rubbers luster, like a new tire. My wifes Honda Crv has 280k and a lot of black plastic around it makes it look great. Its not cheap I think I paid around $55 a gallon but it lasts a long time. I don't own stock or have any connection to this company , just appreciate a product that works. I am not even sure where to buy it my friend got it for me, he sells golf carts and that's what they use on used carts.
Let us know how the plastic coat holds up.
Mike
Forgot to ask did you do anything to the panniers?
Thank you for to compliment. I still have the panniers. I would say more than half the time I ride, they are on the bike. The plastic coat has worked out well. You can see scuff marks from rubbing on the tank. Gas will eat through it, so care must be taken when fueling. If wiped off quick it only show a slight discoloration. I have a couple scrapes on the tail side plastics where the coataing has peeled and revealed orginal paint. My fault. I scaped it on pannier rack when removing. If you were to take your finger nail and try to dig in and scrape paint off you could. I am in the process of touching it out. Just spraying more paint and seeing how it covers and blends in.

New for this season is a 5 spoke 5"x17" wheel from a k1200lt. Bolts right up. It's close to the swing arm, but should not be an issue. Tire will be mounted soon. Going with a 160/60/17

Also added a odyssey PC680 Battery and removed charcoal canister.

Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

New rim & tire mounted. 5"x17" rim with michelin pilot power 160/60/17
RSMike
Basic User

Post by RSMike »

Looks cool, great idea fitting the RS fork covers, do they just bolt straight on?
1996 R1100R Artic grey
2012 F650GS SE
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

RSMike wrote:Looks cool, great idea fitting the RS fork covers, do they just bolt straight on?
They do just bolt on. I had to buy longer bolts for up top and nylon spacers (bolts holding fender are recessed, spacers gave it support), washers, and existing nuts. For the bottom a small bolt fits into the threaded hole on the front of fork. I used allen bolts to keep that stock look.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Steve was wondering how the plastic dip was holding up and have you painted anything else with it.
Mike
Lowzero2
Basic User

Post by Lowzero2 »

captaincable wrote:Steve was wondering how the plastic dip was holding up and have you painted anything else with it.
Mike
I haven't painted any other parts. It held up good. You can see scuffs on the tank from my jacket, gas will eat threw if you splash any on, but it's easy to give it a couple quick touch up sprays. It blends together nicely. There was a couple spots on the side trim pieces that peeled off a bit. Putting the rear seat pad on I got the edge a bit and it peeled the paint showing the original green.

I recently sold the bike and new owner peeled off the plasti dip The original paint was perfect underneath

jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Love those wheels...wonder if they'd bolt right on my r1100r with the spoke wheels