New owner in Montana (2009 R12R)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

xeriminox
Basic User

New owner in Montana (2009 R12R)

Post by xeriminox »

Greetings!

As the title states, I am the new owner of a 2009 R12R. This is my second BMW (and second MC for that matter). In 2007, I purchased one of the first F800ST's to hit Colorado from the BMW/Ducati dealership in Colorado Springs. I was fresh out of MSF and intent on purchasing the new Monster 696. I was a young 'dude' in my late-20's and wanted something 'skill-level appropriate'. Of course, being a BMW/Ducati dealership they handed me the keys and said "have fun!". However, I could not wait to get it back to the dealership--it hurt my wrists from the get-go.

The salesman suggested a F800ST in Graphitan Grey, the first they had received, still in the crate. I bought it sight unseen without a test-ride. It has served me very well for the last 5 years, three moves (MT, OR, and back to MT), and about 12K miles (with two non-consecutive years of storage). With that said, the thought of the boxer always festered in the back of my mind. I just knew, one inevitable day, I would be back at the dealership, check-book in hand.

This August, my amazing wife suggested I should consider a new MC. After filtering her comment through the MHETM (Married-man's Historic Event Tractability Matrix) and factoring how much the reciprocity of kindness was going to cost me, I was off researching BMW boxers. (I'm still certain I must have overlooked a loop-hole in the Feasibility Study) As you can imagine, BMW dealerships are even scarcer in Montana than a openly-admited Prius owner. So, I looked to the internet.

Much as my last BMW, the R12R has been purchased sight-unseen, without test-ride, and having never been aboard a Boxer. Fool-hearted? Perhaps. But such as it is with all things "love at first sight". Without further ado, my 2009 Alpine White R1200R with 2870 miles was purchased from a dealership in Minnesota and is being shipped tomorrow.

I wanted to introduce myself, share my story, and give an advance "thank you" for all the help you will provide in this relationship between man and machine.
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Re: New owner in Montana (2009 R12R)

Post by R12RnHouston »

Congratulations, and welcome!

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Another Montana R owner here; just down the road from you near Helena. I do most my own work on our bikes and have a well equipped shop (lift & tire changer). Always glad to lend a hand if you need it.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
xeriminox
Basic User

Post by xeriminox »

MTBeemer wrote:Another Montana R owner here; just down the road from you near Helena. I do most my own work on our bikes and have a well equipped shop (lift & tire changer). Always glad to lend a hand if you need it.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

<MTBeemer>
My wife is a Montana native and receives plenty of chastising for returning with a "transplant". Our last venture into Montana took us to Helena. It is a beautiful area, especially out where you are located on the road to Lincoln. I certainly may take you up on the offer as I sencerly hope to maintain my own machine--which partly led me to this forum.
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

xeriminox:
You don't need no stinking test drive. I saw it, loved it, and ordered it, with my wife's enthusiastic approval. I love my R, and you will love yours! I find that I can ride from Southern California to Helena in 2 grueling days, or 3-4 easy ones. Both ways are fun. I come yearly to fish for your lovely trout. Do you fish, Sir?
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
xeriminox
Basic User

Post by xeriminox »

xprof wrote:xeriminox:
You don't need no stinking test drive. I saw it, loved it, and ordered it, with my wife's enthusiastic approval. I love my R, and you will love yours! I find that I can ride from Southern California to Helena in 2 grueling days, or 3-4 easy ones. Both ways are fun. I come yearly to fish for your lovely trout. Do you fish, Sir?
My sentiments exactly! It would seem our paths cross. I spent my teen-aged years in Southern California (Orange County -> Anaheim Hills) and often journey into the "Deep South" of California to visit family. Although, I've yet to make the journey on bike.

Do I fish?! Well, if you're asking whether I wake in the early morn, slip into a pair of Simms wadders and vest, knot an aphid-size fly with leader-line to several yards of Rio Gold, wound nicely in a Bauer reel, attached to a 9' 2 5/8 oz 5# R.L. Winston rod, and pray fervently a nice 24" Brown will think my offer appitizing; the answer would be an emphatic YES!

Alas, I never seem to catch as much I'd like. Unfortunately, I seem to suffer from Norman Mclean syndrome:

"If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him."
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Exactly! Perhaps our trails will indeed cross, one day; if you are ever in Santa Barbara, look me up. dbrick and sdmax from this forum have already done so, and we got on famously. And I'll let you know the next time I'm on the loose in MT!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

I got back into motorcycling at 60 with a sweet little '84 R65LS. It was a good "re-starter" bike, with adequate suspension and brakes and just enough balls to be fun without being a hazard to my old carcass.
But after a few years, as I got some skills back, I began thinking about an upgrade. I wanted ABS, fuel injection, heated grips, shaft drive and a weight of 500 pounds or less. That pretty much narrowed the field to one bike, and I found a gorgeous used one, black with narrow white stripes and full luggage, at a dealer near me. There was only 5K on the clock. I couldn't get my checkbook out fast enough. And so far I haven't regretted a penny. Not even though it eats through rear tires and rear brake pads. It gets over 250 miles out of a tank of gas, and gives me all the thrills this now 68-year-old body can handle. Comfortable, easy to ride, what's not to like?

Steve
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Congratulations! Yer gonna love it.

I had an R75/6 for twenty years. I too wanted fuel injection, tubless radial tires and ABS. I bought a 2000 RT. I rode it for 3 years. it was a little too tall and a little too heavy. Just bought an R1200R. Its more like my old airhead. Light, handles like a dream, plenty of power. ABS and ASC. It has class

One sweet bike!
BMW to the bone!
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Steve in VT wrote:Not even though it eats through rear tires and rear brake pads.
Steve,

Take a look at the 9th post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25539#wrap

Because the brakes are linked F-to-Rear (but not the reverse), I don't use the rear brake pedal at all, save for trail braking in very tight turns.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Welcome :)

I've done the exact same transition myself, started out on a grey 07 ST in 2009 and switched to a R1200R last year. While the ST is a fine bike I can wholeheartedly assure you that you wont regret the switch ;)
xeriminox
Basic User

Post by xeriminox »

David R wrote:Congratulations! Yer gonna love it.

I bought a 2000 RT. I rode it for 3 years. it was a little too tall and a little too heavy.

Thank you for the welcome and for sharing a bit of your history. I very heavily considered the RT before decided on the R12R. Montana can be windy and the fairing would have been nice. But, I still consider myself a "beginner"; with really only three riding seasons under my belt. Frankly, the extra weight and higher CG concerned me. The R12R seemed a wise choice given my circumstances.
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
xeriminox
Basic User

Post by xeriminox »

Well the day finally arrived. The R12 was delivered on Oct 18th. All I can say is "wow". I can understand why so many fall victim to the test drive, only to sign the purchase agreement in a trance-like state. I have only managed a few day rides totaling approx. 700 miles over the last couple weeks. However, this bike certainly has a manner which produces a similar grin to that of a school-boy in the presence of his beloved. Thank you, again, for the warm welcome. I look forward to meeting many of you over the miles.

I leave you with this picture from today's sunrise ride along the Missouri River--taken near Hardy Creek, MT
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
Mister Moo
Lifer

Post by Mister Moo »

xeriminox wrote:Well the day finally arrived. The R12 was delivered on Oct 18th. All I can say is "wow".

I can leave you with this picture from today's sunrise ride along the Missouri River--taken near Hardy Creek, MT
Sweet!
2007 R1200R since October 2012
Lizard Lick, North Carolina - come by