New to the forum

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ton1959
Basic User

New to the forum

Post by Ton1959 »

Hi all,
I have had my R1100R from 1999 now since 2010. It had around 35000 miles on it when I bought it from a dealer. This is the 13th bike but it has been perfect. The only engine part that the bike required was the camchaintensioner.
Up to now I have shortened the genuine BMW screen by about just under 2 inch as I didn't like the windnoise.
Had the tyres renewed as the Bridgestone BT21 became dangerous. I have the Michelin PR 3 fitted now and they are great.
I had the springs changed and now have progessive Hyperpro springs fitted.
Just bought some Iridium plugs from NGK
Just received my new steel brake lines from ( Goodridge)
Also an insert for the rear light unit with leds
And got some Fog lights on order from MV
And some handprotectors.
And I have fitted the navigation socket just below the petrol tank
So slowly the bike is improving.
It wasn't easy to find a forum for the R1100R but I have found it eventually.
The seat was improved by Tijger Leathers
My bike http://www.flickr.com/photos/39666157@N ... hotostream

Ton :smt023
CRazyCam
Basic User

Re: New to the forum

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi Ton, and welcome.

Nice looking bike, but I have to say that as I have it's wee brother, in Mystic Red, in the garage.

Those other piccies are gorgeous, too.

Where abouts are you?

In another posting you mention "motorway" miles per hour and inches, so I was a bit confused.

Your bike looks like a US market one.

regards,CrazyCam
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

Hi I am from the Netherlands. I have justed fitted the US style reflectors on the forks and near the registration plate. As most accidents where motorbikes and cars are involved don't happen to the front or rear but the sides of the motorbike. I like to be visible for others.
I like photography too. I decided to speak in miles and gallons because liters and kilometers might confuse some people.

Regards Ton
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Thanks, Ton.

Yeah, I have put the yellow reflectors onto my pannier sides, for much the reason you describe.

Whenever there is a miles per gallon quoted, I usually check where the poster is from, since miles are fairly constant but US gallons are smaller than British gallons, unless that has changed in the 40 years I've been away from Scotland.

regards,CrazyCam
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

I even checked for the US gallons. I did live for eight years in the UK and I suddenly had to think gallons and miles. But now you see liters and the petrolstations and not gallons in the UK. And they can even think in Celsius for temperature
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Hello Ton1959,
Welcome to the group of Boxer lovers.
That is a real sweet looking red Roadster. Love it!
How many months of riding do you get each year in the Netherlands?
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Hello Ton,

if you're from the Netherlands you might understand German? In that case I might suggest this forum to you: http://www.boxer-forum.de/
And the greatest ressource site on earth: http://www.powerboxer.de/

Good luck with your bike!

Brgds
Oliver
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

OoPs very late replying here.

I use the bike from March up to December here. Just before they start gritting the roads I stop riding. And if we are lucky March is the last month with some snow here.
I do understand German but I prefer English anytime really. The bike is doing okay and is very reliable. I also changed the brake lines and fitted the steel brakelines from Motorworks.

Regards Ton