New member here

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeVA76
Basic User

New member here

Post by MikeVA76 »

Hey everybody, just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Mike and I'm the proud owner of a new to me 08 1200r just outside of D.C. I'm an all year rider and spent the last three seasons on a Kawasaki Versys. This is my first BMW. Original owner had 2800 miles on it and babied it. I've put another 2,000 on it in the last three weeks and it was ridden through a hurricane, lol. Absolutley love it so far, just a great motorcycle. Making some adjustments to get it ready for all weather riding as winter quickly approaches. Look forward to getting to know you all and I'm happy to be here.

Mike
RGC1248
Lifer

Re: New member here

Post by RGC1248 »

Hey, Mike.
Congrat on the bike. =D>
I'm a new bimmer and moto rider myself since July. :oops: Got almost 3K on my '07 R12R since I bought it.
This is a great forum with lots of fellas that like to share knowledge.
I live south of DC (Spotsy). PM me if you want to come by this way and ride.
-Rafa, Virginia
'07 R12R
'14 FLHTK
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Welcome.

I too ride a Versys as a commuter. My 12 R1200R just got its 6,000 mile service. I have had it 2 months.

Yer gonna love that bike.

David
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Welcome! You are going to love this bike ... now, let the "farkling" begin!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Welcome, Mike. The R12R is terrific for all-around riding. Somebody here called it the Swiss Army knife of Motorrad's line-up.
Bill
xeriminox
Basic User

Post by xeriminox »

Welcome, from one new member to another. I'm sure you will have many happy miles in your future. You've chosen a great bike.
2009 R12R
2007 F800ST
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

Great to have you with us on the Forum, Mike. You are fortunate to live in an area that you can ride year round. I'm sure the Roadster is going to please you as do-it-all partner. After you get the engine broken in, you will like it even more. Good riding to you there in VA.
Mister Moo
Lifer

Post by Mister Moo »

Another welcome from another NG. If you're south of DC (Raleigh) - come by.

Whereza picture?
2007 R1200R since October 2012
Lizard Lick, North Carolina - come by
H1Alpha
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by H1Alpha »

Welcome aboard Mike,
I'm in DC, congrats on your new ride. I'm a year 'round rider as well, and will ride all winter, regardless of temp, with one caveat, snow/ice. Drop me an note, if you'd like to go out for a ride.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
2011 R1200R Classic-Total Loss/Accident
MikeVA76
Basic User

Post by MikeVA76 »

Yeah, I did a fair amount of research prior to making the purchase. One thing I loved about the Versys was the functionality. I didn't want the full on touring aspect of the RT as all of my riding is commuting and 3-7 hour trips to the country. I like being able to outfit the bike for many different riding scenarios and conditions. So far it's been great. I've noticed my idle is a little rough at times and the transmission seems to be a bit notchy here and there. But I expect that to smooth out over time and I plan on doing a full service by 6k. I'm a service tech for Mercedes Benz so I'll be handling all of the maintenance/repair.

H1 it's funny you should mention snow and ice. I actually ended up out in the freak storm two years ago that shut down the DC area for 12 hours if you remember. I rode my Versys home with ice forming on my face shield and my legs out to act like a tripod, lol. Never again, I try to avoid snow, ice and heavy winds, other then that I'm out there. I'll try to get a picture up later today. Thanks for the warm welcome guys. :)

Mike