Topcase R1100R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ton1959
Basic User

Topcase R1100R

Post by Ton1959 »

Which topcase do you use on your R1100R. I have the normal BMW luggage rack fitted to my R1100R and was curious which topcase most of you use.
I prefer something around 35 liter but not sure which ones will actually fit to it. Thinking about GIVI B33 NMK here

Ton
Ton1959
Basic User

Re: Topcase R1100R

Post by Ton1959 »

Surpising how many people look at a message here but hardly ever an answer. Is this a forum with mainly people who look at messages?
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

Don't take it personally. It's probably because topcases for the 11R are limited; most of the ones you find are for 1150's or 1200's. Most others on the forum are probably just as interested in finding one as you are and unfortunately have little to offer in the way of suggestions. Alas, I am one of those as well. ;)
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

I decided to buy the Givi B33 NMK (monokey). The monokey can carry up to 10kg while the monolock can only carry 3kg. I didn't want a bigger top box as they look a bit out of place on the R1100R. The bigger boxes look okay on the RT's as they have the massive fairing on the front but I don't want to spoil the looks of my bike with an ugly big square box.
With the Givi monokey you do need to buy the fitting kit. Mine has the BMW rack so it should be quite easy to fit the top box. It does seem to me that the R1100R is not as popular but I wouldn't swap it for an RT.
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

As I have the BMW luggage rack, I fitted a Givi mounting plate to it and can now use my 45ltr. Givi Monokey top case.

I think that this looks much better when not using the case than if I'd fitted the Givi Mono Rack which mounts the case much higher and looks rather ugly when using the bike without the case fitted.
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

The B33 looks great on the R1100R on the BMW rack
ginscoe

Post by ginscoe »

I have a 1996 R1100r with the BMW rack in place of the grab bar. Is there a Givi mounting kit that adapts to this rack - Is this what you did and can you provide details / part numbers? I see that the Givi site doesn't even list the R1100r anymore... If you have the time, would you post some pixs?

Thanks!
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

I fixed the alloy base plate from a Givi Wingrack that I happened to have to the standard BMW luggage rack.

Some pictures here :
https://picasaweb.google.com/1035930780 ... 1699597010

It has worked very well now for several months.

I can't find a seperate listing on Givi's website for this plate - just the whole Wingrack
http://www.givi.co.uk/Fitment-kits/Wingrack/Wingrack

This plate might work ok but is plastic :
http://www.givi.co.uk/Fitment-kits/Optionals/E250

Hope this helps

Mike

Cheshire UK
Photo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 217

Post by Photo »

This is for sale at A&S cycles: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1687
I'm not sure if it would support a Givi/Kappa universal monokey/monolock plate, or not.

However, I'd suggest you keep an eye on eBay. There are a couple of eBay power sellers who occasionally offer the Givi F635 & M3 mounting plate for sale. I just bought one and mounted it. You have to move the charcoal canister from its original mounting point, though (I zip-tied it the mono-rack support brace). It's extremely sturdy!
The EZ-board poster formerly known as "Photo82"
moto-m
Basic User

Post by moto-m »

I fitted the Givi Monorack originally and I didn't like the look of the bike and it made it very difficult to fit the right hand pannier - it pushed out the fitting rail so that the pannier could not locate on rear of the passenger foot rest as it should do - I had to slacken the bolt holding the foot rest, fit the pannier and then re-tighten the foot rest each time the pannier was removed. Using the BMW luggage rack doesn't have that problem - everything fits as it should.
ginscoe

Post by ginscoe »

Moto-m,

Thanks for the help and the photos. I found an aluminum baseplate on ebay for a good price -- I'll post some photos when I am done.

Regards,

Grant