best tire for bmw r1200r

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: best tire for bmw r1200r

Post by deilenberger »

Jed wrote:
deilenberger wrote: Also note - the pressure is specified with the tire temperature at 68F (20C?).. add or subtract ~1 to 1.3 PSI per 10 degrees F tire temperature difference from that (lower when colder, higher when hotter.) That's based on what I observe on my TPMS - which gives me both tire air temperature and pressure. It's rough, but close enough to get you into the ballpark. IE - if it's 38F you can expect to see 29-30PSI in the front and 32-33PSI in the back. If it's 98F - figure on 35-36 PSI front and 39-40 PSI rear. It is slightly non-linear, but - again - close enough to get you into the ball park of correct pressure for the tire temperature.
Don,
Can you clarify this statement above? Are you saying that the recommended tire inflation pressures from BMW are defined to a specific temperature?
Yes.
Jed wrote:While I agree that changes in ambient temperature will affect air pressures in tires, inflation pressures are based on ambient temps. So if it's 40° F outside when we check our "cold" tires, the inflation pressure should be (your pressure) XX psi. If the ambient temp is 90· F outside when we check our "cold" tires, the inflation pressure should be the same (your pressure) XX psi. In other words, there is no temperature correction that is applied to inflation pressures for "cold" tires. In this case a "cold" tire is defined as a tire at ambient temperature, ie not warmed up from having been ridden.
That's actually wrong. If you have a BMW TPMS from the factory, it corrects for the actual tire temperature (which once the tire is rolling WILL be different from ambient) to show what the pressure would be at 20C (68F).
Jed wrote:Drastic variations in ambient temps during the day (very cold mornings giving way to warm afternoons) can lead to higher than desired inflation pressures as the temperatures rise over +40° F. But this is a different issue.
No - it isn't. Your tire heats up as it rolls. On a 40F day, with stock tire pressure I can see 100F on my TPMS after some serious highway riding. That's all caused by the tire heating up. I'll also see tire pressure well in excess of what it was at 40F. If I had set the pressure to 32 PSI at 40F, by the time the tire fully warmed up (say 100F) - I'd see in excess of 40PSI. Should I then lower the pressure to the 32 PSI that's spec'd at 68F? If I then slowed down and the tire pressure dropped, should I again stop and adjust it (adding air this time?) Nope. Set it correctly at 68F and forget it.
Jed wrote: Pressures also vary depending on how hard the tires are worked, with more aggressive riding warming the tires (and hence the air inside them) more due to heat generating effects of tire flex. It's also well known that slightly lower inflation pressures will allow a tire to warm-up more quickly while slightly higher inflation pressures will tend to slow and, to some extent limit, tire warming.

There are lot's of interesting games to play relative to variations in inflation pressures to modify how the tires behave and perform at various operating pressures and temperatures, but none of these variations are normalized to a particular temperature. That's not how inflation pressures (or compressed gasses) work.

cheers,
It is normalized on motorcycle tire pressure specs. At least that's how BMW sees it. All the TPMS systems I've used that have a warning feature for high or low pressure also use a compensation curve for temperature as to when they trigger the warning. On the ZADI one I used to use they even provided a nice chart showing the curve they used. And their suggestion was to set the tires to the manufacturer's spec'd pressure at 20C.

From the BMW R1200R manual http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/RiderManuals2012/R1200R.pdf:

Page 24:
BMW R12R Manual wrote: Tyre-pressure readout
(48)
The figures shown in the tyre-pressure readings are temperature-compensated (see the section entitled "Engineering details")
Page 38 has what the TPMS will warn about, and another mention of the "Engineering Details"

Page 59 has the pressure spec's with "tire cold"

Starting on page 82 is more on the TPMS system, and on page 83 is:
BMW R12R Manual wrote: Temperature compensation

Tyre pressure is a temperature sensitive variable: pressure increases as tyre temperature rises and decreases as tyre temperature drops. Tyre temperature depends on ambient temperature, on the style of riding and the duration of the ride.
The tyre-pressure readings shown by the multifunction display are temperature compensated; the reference tyre temperature for these readings is always 20 °C. The air lines available to the public in petrol stations and motorway service areas have gauges that do not compensate for temperature; the reading shown by a gauge of this nature is the temperature dependent tyre pressure. In most instances, therefore, these gauge readings will not tally with the pressures shown by the multifunction display
(Emphasis added..)

Note the reference to 20C.. and the temperature compensating TPMS display.

Best,
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Ah, I love nit picking tire pressure, its almost as much fun as discussing oil :)

Either way I ran PR3's a slightly above recommended pressure and got close to 20000km's on them. Although by then the rear was pretty flat. Did have some singing at one point towards the end of life on them. Didn't quite have the same confidence inspiring feel as the PR2's had but excellent in the wet.

I'm not in love with my PR3's, but for the dry and wet grip and excellent mileage I couldn't find any alternative so got another set mounted.
red baron
Lifer

Post by red baron »

I liked the Pirelli Scorpion but lately I have had good luck with Dunlop Roadsmart 2. They last about 1,000 miles longer than the Scorpion feel very steady in both dry and wet conditions. On my 08 r1200R they last about 5,000 at the rear and about 10,000 in the front. My tire pressure front 36 and 41 in the rear. My latest front tire shows no cupping at 6,900 miles.. Anyway I am very pleased with these tires.
On most of my trips the computer shows an average speed of just above 60 miles/hr.
Peter
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

So, is it being said here that most rear tires are getting 5-6000 miles and the only one getting a bit more mileage is the PR3's.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Woland
Basic User

Post by Woland »

swamper wrote:So, is it being said here that most rear tires are getting 5-6000 miles and the only one getting a bit more mileage is the PR3's.
Unfortunately its not quite that simple, riding style, braking habits etc will influence mileage quite a bit. But the PR3's do seem to give good mileage compared to other tires without sacrificing grip.
Bamblys
Basic User

Post by Bamblys »

Anyone know why not or maybe will they ever have this tire for R1200R?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mich ... ee-3-tires
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Anyone know why not or maybe will they ever have this tire for R1200R?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mich ... ee-3-tires
I wouldn't bank on it ever being available. The big bore/street oriented dual sports are pushing tire sizes more in our direction, but options are pretty limited for the R1200R. As far as I know the Scorpion Trail, Conti Trail Attack, and TKC80 are the only dual sport tires availble in our size.

My dealer tried to sell me on a pair of those Anakees when I was in last. I shook my head and told him he'd have a hard time finding my size. He pulled out the book anyway...
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

I don't know why you guys are trying to make a GS out of a R bike? I've had a GS and really didn't like anything about it (96, 1100). Almost soured me on BMW's. The R bike is perfect for all road riding, If you wanting a trail bike you should probably get a nice used Suzuki 350, had one of those also but found I like roads.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I don't know why you guys are trying to make a GS out of a R bike? I've had a GS and really didn't like anything about it (96, 1100). Almost soured me on BMW's. The R bike is perfect for all road riding, If you wanting a trail bike you should probably get a nice used Suzuki 350, had one of those also but found I like roads.
I can't speak for everyone, but i'm not trying to "make a GS out of a(n) R bike". I don't frankly consider the R1200GS any more competent off road than most street bikes. I do take MY bike (any bike I'm riding at the time) wherever I d@mn well please, and having a tire that will perform on more than just asphalt is a plus. I'm not sure why you're comparing a street bike with an 80/20 or 90/10 tire to a trail bike. I ride trail bikes as well, that doesn't change the fact that when I'm touring on my RR I sometimes head places with less than ideal tarmac. Maybe you should just ride your own ride and leave the rest of us to ours.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

OK
IBA#7147
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

I thought tire threads were verboten?

Meanwhile, what's the best oil for the R1200R? :badgrin:
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Karamazov wrote: I do take MY bike (any bike I'm riding at the time) wherever I d@mn well please, and having a tire that will perform on more than just asphalt is a plus. I'm not sure why you're comparing a street bike with an 80/20 or 90/10 tire to a trail bike. I ride trail bikes as well, that doesn't change the fact that when I'm touring on my RR I sometimes head places with less than ideal tarmac. Maybe you should just ride your own ride and leave the rest of us to ours.
I agree with both sentiments. I also like to take a dirt/gravel road every now and then, the bike handles them usually without fault except for the tires. I know Joe uses Pirelli Scorpions and likes them but I'm looking for something that will grab and still give me 8K so I'm not changing tires in the middle of a trip. I know -- I ask too much.

As far as riding your ride, just reading the posts on this list should show that the R1200R is a good platform to build whatever you want in a motorcycle, and it's no surprise to see them used in all kinds of scenarios. I've seen a few with sidecars and one as a trike.

To answer the OP's question: I'm on my third set of PR3s and the next set is on its way to me now. (but their horrible on loose dirt and pea gravel)
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Bamblys
Basic User

Post by Bamblys »

If you want to believe reviews on Anakee III it sure sounds like a perfect tire for the R1200R. It helps on gravel it does very good on pavement, plus it has a very good life expectancy.
I wish there was a suggestion box at michelin where they would actually pay attention to it.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

mogu83 wrote:
Karamazov wrote: I do take MY bike (any bike I'm riding at the time) wherever I d@mn well please, and having a tire that will perform on more than just asphalt is a plus. I'm not sure why you're comparing a street bike with an 80/20 or 90/10 tire to a trail bike. I ride trail bikes as well, that doesn't change the fact that when I'm touring on my RR I sometimes head places with less than ideal tarmac. Maybe you should just ride your own ride and leave the rest of us to ours.
I agree with both sentiments. I also like to take a dirt/gravel road every now and then, the bike handles them usually without fault except for the tires. I know Joe uses Pirelli Scorpions and likes them but I'm looking for something that will grab and still give me 8K so I'm not changing tires in the middle of a trip. I know -- I ask too much.

As far as riding your ride, just reading the posts on this list should show that the R1200R is a good platform to build whatever you want in a motorcycle, and it's no surprise to see them used in all kinds of scenarios. I've seen a few with sidecars and one as a trike.

To answer the OP's question: I'm on my third set of PR3s and the next set is on its way to me now. (but their horrible on loose dirt and pea gravel)
Like Harry, I am on my third set of PR3s and have another set waiting in the garage. Can't beat them ... except they can be a bit pricey.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

Just spooned on a new set of PR3s last weekend. Great tire.
ImageImage
Las
Double Lifer

Post by Las »

My r12 Classic came stock with Metzler z8's. I replaced them with another set at 12,000 miles's, although I still had some useable rubber in both front and back. I thought that they were doing the job, but wondered whether rp3's might do it better. The reviews on the z8's from many sources convinced me to stay with these tires; but they don't seem to be getting much love on this forum. Anyone ride them both?
Last edited by Las on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Las
Double Lifer

Post by Las »

The reviews on the z8's from many sources convinced me to stay with these tires; but they don't seem to be getting much love on this forum. Anyone ride them both?
Last edited by Las on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Haven't used the Z8, but have had a couple of Z6 on different oilheads. The fronts cupped badly, the backs squared off, and the steering went south as the front wore down. Really didn't like them in total. I'm using Avon now and they are a terrific tire that now are ready for replacement. Looking at both the Avon and the pr3. Price difference is very slight, so I may try the pr3 this time around.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Just slapped some PR3's on mine yesterday.

Had B021's OEM, this is the first set I've bought.

Scrubbed 'em in today and at the end of the day's ride I felt full confidence in them. They feel much more compliant and perhaps more sticky than the stock rubber.
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

Las wrote:The reviews on the z8's from many sources convinced me to stay with these tires; but they don't seem to be getting much love on this forum. Anyone ride them both?
My bike came with the Z8's last Mar when I took delivery. I now have a few miles shy of 10K miles and I should be able to get another 1K miles or a little more maybe. The front seems good for several more K's of miles. Last month I found a great deal at motorcycle superstore for the Z8's. A set of front and rear for $300 and free shipping so I got a pair.

I love the tire, it did fantasticly on my week long 2400 miles trip to and through Canada last summer in hot dry and sometimes wet conditions. In the wet the tire really was confidence enspiring. I also commute half the week using my bike, my commute is 96 miles round trip and mostly highway. I was thinking of trying the PR3's but with the Z8's performance, longevity and sale price it was a no brainer for me.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield