Headlight bracket (front panel carrier)

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

shrank
Basic User

Headlight bracket (front panel carrier)

Post by shrank »

Had a little spill this weekend and somehow ended up with a broken headlight bracket. New from dealers this is about a $200 part for a single aluminum one or I can get a pair of the black ones for the same price. Is there a difference or is there a better aftermarket mod out there for this bike?
rockstercliff
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Headlight bracket (front panel carrier)

Post by rockstercliff »

Call or email Beemerboneyard to see if they got some used pieces. Will be lots cheeper.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Seems crazy, yes? The silver front Rockster carrier piece costing near twice the black version?

For my Rockster rebuild, I bought a pair of OE black carriers, and later picked up an eBay set that had been powdercoated (poor quality) black over the original silver. I think the silver looks best on most Rocksters, so one project for this year is powdercoat removal and refinishing. Now that I know how fragile these carriers can be, I'm keeping the black pair as backups.

Not aware of anyone using alternative carriers. The OE piece is somewhat complex, with 3D structure incorporating attachment points specific to the Rockster headlight carrier (structural plastic piece with vibration bushings), and mating with the Rockster's unique Telelever top clamp.

Depending on amount of front end damage, you could mod the entire front end: change Telelever top, change headlight, custom carrier for the instrument module, bar-end turn signals.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

What's even worse is that (as far as I can make out), it's a plastic piece, that's been painted! (I might be wrong - but going by the scratched areas on mine I don't believe so).

Daft, simply daft.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Pretty sure the Rockster brackets are alloy. When I broke one - attempting to straighten it using a dead blow hammer - the liberated section flew across my garage (it's certainly lightweight construction) and struck the ground with an expensive, metallic ringing sound... not unlike a cash register.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Grandpa ripper
Basic User

Post by Grandpa ripper »

I think I hear that cash register sound when I order BMW parts!

You don't see too many of them since they didn't make too many of them. That must be why there are not a lot of aftermarket options available.
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

The Rockster-brackets are definitely alloy, as I can tell when mine "exploded" when I crashed my previous Rockster.
And indeed, they are expensive and hard to get second-hand.
Here in the Netherlands is a webshop that has a couple of used ones in stock at 65 dollars (50 euro) a piece.
I don't know if they are willing to ship to te States, but you could give it a try.
http://www.motorparts-online.com/index. ... RfcG9zPQ==
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black