rider peg lowering kit

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

cbmwgs
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1075

rider peg lowering kit

Post by cbmwgs »

Anyone have a peg relocation kit for a 2002 R1150R ?

ended up with GS pegs.
Last edited by cbmwgs on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
cbmwgs
Basic User

Re: WTB: rider peg lowering kit

Post by cbmwgs »

Ordered one today
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Great minds think alike---I did too...Suburban Machinery.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

I have the Wunderlich adjustable on mine and like them. However I think the actual peg is a bit small?
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

I expect mine from Surburban Machinery to arrive tomorrow. I hope to install them and test them out at the Fools on a Hill Rally over the weekend. I'll bring back a report.

Links:
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1150R.htm---Suburban Machinery. I guess the 02 model is the same as mine (04). Some say you can get by without getting the modified shifter. Let you know what I think when I can.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27413---Group Rides link on R1150R
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=59672.0---Fools on a Hill chatter on Moto Guzzi forum
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
cbmwgs
Basic User

Post by cbmwgs »

I installed my kit and find it makes the bike more enjoyable.
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

cbmwgs wrote:I installed my kit and find it makes the bike more enjoyable.
Cbmwgs,
What kit did you use?

I didn't have time before Fools so they're still sitting new in the box.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
cbmwgs
Basic User

Post by cbmwgs »

duckdave wrote:
cbmwgs wrote:I installed my kit and find it makes the bike more enjoyable.
Cbmwgs,
What kit did you use?

I didn't have time before Fools so they're still sitting new in the box.
Suburban Machinery and I did not need the extended shifter.
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Still have not had time to try it out (lowering pegs via Suburban Machinery kit).

Wonder if I, too, don't need extended shifter?

And if SM will refund my purchase if I determine at this late date I do not. Any prior experience with this?
-dd
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

UPDate on Suburban Peg Lowering Kit for R1150R (with extended shifter):

Tho I ordered this hardware last month, I just today got around to installing it.
Peg lowering kit—pretty easy install. Basically, remove the pin through the original peg pin and spring. Install the lowering block with the original pin and spring. This takes a little wiggle-waggle to get things lined up, but is not really that hard. Finally, install the peg on the new (lowered) pin (easy).

Adjust brake lever to work with lowered peg. Read all about the precise measurements to adjust the brake lever in my new Clymer manual. Didn't understand a word, including pictures. Just did what seemed obvious. Obviously, don't adjust things so the rear brakes drag!

Added the extended shifter. Here's where things get to be a PITA. First, the bolt that holds the shifter in is majorly glued down with factory THREADLOCK. You must heat this part up for at least 10 minutes (I used my shrink tube heat gun). Next, fit a 6 mm hex wrench into the bolt (note, bolt is on the inside of the assembly and hard to get to, it is very hot, and you must remember that the bolt head is NOT facing you and get the direction of loosing right). I recommend you wear Riderwarehouse Elkskin Ropers to protect your hands, but probably any leather gloves will do.

Installing the extended shifter. Here is where my problems began. The pivot shaft from the original assembly would not easily fit into the new piece, and it needs to mate smoothly to work properly. I worked over both pieces with some emory cloth until they seemed to fit properly. Lubed an assembled, out for a ride.

GOOD IMPRESSIONS: I think I like the lowered pegs. They are outboard a bit, that will take a little getting used to. I think I'll get used to it quickly.

PROBLEMS: The fit of the pivot shaft is apparently still too tight. Some problems shifting. I was in 6th going 80 (just keeping up with traffic folks), when it suddenly dropped into fifth. Gave me a bit of a startle. At stop, I could not get it to drop from N to first. It seemed to go in (green light off), but nothing happened when clutch released. Seemed to be going into a "false first". You know how when you shift up, the lever goes up (click), then returns to middle position? When you shift down (click) it returns to middle position? It doesn't seem to be doing that last part. Contacted Suburban Machinery for advice, awaiting reply.

This last observation may or may not be a "problem". With the left peg lowered, and moved out and forward, it's impossible to engage foot with center stand. Only done it a couple of times so far, but I'm developing a routine where I reach down with my right hand and put the peg and lowering block up, then engage my right foot on the center stand, per usual, and lift up to place bike on stand. I think I'll assimilate this new routine ok.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

Problems with extended shift lever from Surburban Machinery peg lowering kit—maybe solved...
So, some time after installation of the extended shift lever, I started to have trouble. First sign was the unintended downshift from 6 to 5 during my test run. OK, maybe I didn't properly preload that upshift, it's not like its never happened before, but it doesn't happen very often. But when it would shift not from N to 1 later on (after I washed it (clue?)) I got worried. This morning, when down shifting or upshifting (on stand), the lever would not recover at all to the middle position by itself at all.

So, I notified the manufacturer and asked for help (but it's the weekend for crying out loud, so no response) and think about it. This afternoon, I took it all apart again. Getting good at this, and the locktite is just medium, not the industrial strength stuff, so a little force is needed, but not applied heat. Turns out the locktite was the problem; as I suspected, it had bled back into the pivot shaft and effectively glued it to the the shift lever. So disassemble, clean up and reassemble, being careful not to let the blue stuff get to far afield. As of now it all seems to be working correctly.

I'm pretty sure Blue Locktite is just cyanoacrylate glue, formulated in a medium strength adhesive. The stuff polymerizes in contact with water immediately. Otherwise, it take whatever time to set depending on formulation. My main problems started after I washed the bike, so that suggests the source of the problem. If it works out, I think I can get used to the rest of the adjustment issues. We shall see, we shall see...
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
bubbac
Basic User

Post by bubbac »

Installed mine two years ago on my Rockster and did not get shifter, but soon got used to shifting
Very comfortable on long trips
duckdave
Double Lifer

Post by duckdave »

OK, hopefully penultimate post on the topic from me.

Cleaning up the locktite problem and reassembly cleared up the shifting problems. OK to work and back to day (but just a few miles). And I do feel I'm getting used to the new location of my feet and shift and brake levers. They are all working anyway and no problems locating anything.

I do like the feel of the new location of pegs when I stand in them. Much more natural. And, so far in the modest S turn that comes at me going to work, no problem with dragging pegs. So, I'm optimistic these will be a success, perhaps a great success. Just need to put a few multi-100 mile days in the saddle to see if they make the difference I hope for.

BTW, I gotta report that Suburban Machinery (contacted about problems on Sunday) got right back to me early Monday, offered several solutions, and offered to take back any parts, or repair any, that were unsatisfactory. They did say they had not encountered this problem before—OK, so I guess I'm the first idiot to glue his parts together with Locktite! I am very satisfied with their product and support.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
cbmwgs
Basic User

Post by cbmwgs »

Took off the R1150R sideplates and shifter / brake linkage.
removed the lowering blocks.

I decided to go to the GS footpegs. further down and further forward.
Better fit for a 78 year old body.
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
cbmwgs
Basic User

Post by cbmwgs »

Took off the R1150R sideplates and shifter / brake linkage.
removed the lowering blocks.

I decided to go to the GS footpegs. further down and further forward.
Better fit for a 78 year old body.
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX
westmk
Lifer

Post by westmk »

What year GS set up would fit an 05 R1150R? Can you post a pic of your new set up? Thanks
cbmwgs
Basic User

Post by cbmwgs »

westmk wrote:What year GS set up would fit an 05 R1150R? Can you post a pic of your new set up? Thanks

Any R1150GS setup.

You need the sideplates, with shifter and brake linkage. the longer brake plunger from the master cylinder of a R1150GS.

all items are available on ebay. (prices vary widely)

my bike is a 02 non abs model, which probably made the job a little easier as I had no pipes to bend from the abs unit.

The centerstand needs the foot bent in about 1/2 inch to miss the shifter linkage when in up position, but it functions.

it was a easy install, once I aquired all the parts.

cut and paste link to part.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1510226021 ... 1294929737
Cmartin
BMW R1150R 2002
Carrollton, TX