Should I buy another R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

keiko
Basic User

Should I buy another R1150R

Post by keiko »

I have owned an 850r, 1150r and 1200r. The 850 had a very low seat height and I enjoyed ownership for 2 years although with the non-adjustable fixed bars it was not as sporty or fun to ride as the other two bikes. I jumped into a 1150r a few years later and for some reason did not feel comfortable on the bike. Not sure if it was the taller seat height, the reach to the bars, the weight or the Servo-Assist brakes ( too touchy for me ). I ended up selling the bike within 3 months. A few years later bought the R1200r and with a low frame, low seat option it was the bike for me. But my purchase of the Honda vfr 750 for very little money caused me to sell the 1200r because i kept wanting to ride the Honda and I had a fair bit owing on the BMW . But I am finding i miss the lure of the boxer engine and would like to purchase another boxer and keep the Honda as well. My other bike s a Kawasaki Vulcan 900. There is no possible way a cruiser can be your only bike..... Ha Ha . I think i would be happy with any of my previous boxers but have decided an 1150 might be my best option. Please tell me I am not crazy. I already have 2 bikes and a scooter, so the 1200 r becomes to expensive to re - purchase . The 850r is much older design, and seems to be a little long in the tooth as compared to the newer models. The 1150 r seems affordable and a good compromise. I am thinking of going back to an 1150 because i have a lot more riding experience this time around. The 1150's weight doesn't seem as big of an obstacle nor does the seat height. It's just the issue of the touchy servo brakes. I sat on a used 1150 at the dealership today and for some reason i felt comfortable on it. The smaller rear tire as compared to the 1200 made the bike seem more manageable and the seat height seemed to fit fine. Maybe the preload was set on low or some suspension modifications were in place. Anyways do you think this compromise makes sense or if I didn't bond with the bike once i should avoid it altogether. Has anyone gone from a 1200 to an 1150. Thanks for any input in advance...Cheers.
BruceinLA
Basic User

Re: Should I buy another R1150R

Post by BruceinLA »

How about a non abs r1150r?
Bruce B.
Ventura County, CA.

1999 K1200LT
2004 R1150R
UberZogster
Basic User

Post by UberZogster »

Get one without abs and the brakes won't be a problem. I didn't like the way my R1150R felt when I first got it either. It felt very top heavy and unstable at slow speeds. I stuck with it and it feels rock steady now. I guess I just needed to get used to it but I love the way this bike feels now. The more I ride it the more I like it and want to ride.
bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bransan »

There's more to owning a BMW than the way the seat feels. To Me it's a passion. I have followed the BMW passion for most of MY adult life. I wasn't always able to afford it but I followed it. I have never in the last 38 years not had a BMW in My driveway. Yes I have had many other things at the same time, but nothing ever compares, Properly. I love My Farmall "M", and My Kawasaki KE 250, but they are used for other things. When I want to drive a car or ride a bike down the road, I choose BMW because I trust the engineering. I have always done most of My own maintenance, and I appreciate the way they are put together.

Yes I would buy another R.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

R1150R- good solid general utility machine. Documented strengths and weaknesses, support from this group.

If you like the VFR, then consider an F800ST. Great one-up all-purpose bike for medium sized rider, has BMW boxer genetic material via the F's firing sequence, with usable torque and more revs than the true opposed-cylinder motors. There are used F800s showing up in the used market, low miles and decent prices.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

My purchase of a VFR800 Honda led me to the sale of my R1150R and my R1200R. The only thing I miss is the wind protection I had on the 1150 with the full Aeroflow set-up. If I were to buy another BMW, which I don't feel is likely, I'd look at the new F800Gt or a nice used F800ST. Good luck with your decision.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE