Drilling out my baffle

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DavidT
Basic User

Drilling out my baffle

Post by DavidT »

I have an 02 1150R with a Laser Duo Tech exhaust. When I leave the insert in, it seems to have a lot of sooty carbon collecting on it, but when I take it out, it is just a bit too loud on the highway for long periods of time. I wondered if drilling holes in the insert would be a happy medium for me or is there some other adjustment that should be made?
If drilling out the insert is a good answer, how many holes and about what size?
Norske
Basic User

Re: Drilling out my baffle

Post by Norske »

Which of the two inserts are you referring to? Do you have both inserts?
'78 Honda CB550K
'04 BMW R1150R
DavidT
Basic User

Post by DavidT »

The only insert that I have is the one with about a 45 degree bend, I think there may also be a straight insert available, but thought drilling holes in the one I have might be something to try.
I haven't checked too close, but the bend in the insert may only be because of the angle of the outlet on the muffler.
Norske
Basic User

Post by Norske »

The bent insert is the Street insert, the straight one is the Race insert. The bent "Street" insert just keeps the sound level lower because its not a straight shot through the exhaust. I'm not sure what drilling holes in your Street insert would do, but it may make it louder as you suspect.

http://www.laser-exhausts.com/wp-conten ... ochure.pdf
'78 Honda CB550K
'04 BMW R1150R
Lob
Basic User

Post by Lob »

Baffle out + earplugs would be my solution. Mind you, I run the same Laser slip-on and have the street-legal baffle in....