Rockster Beautification Project & a tip for grips

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

toner87
Donating Member #: 0

Rockster Beautification Project & a tip for grips

Post by toner87 »

Howdy all,
I've been dormant on this site for a VERY long time, but thought I'd come out of hibernation to talk about my little Rockster beautification project. So, my ugly, bubbly, "Ferro" colored cylinder head covers were really starting to bug me, so I thought I would take them off and get them powder coated a nice 60% gloss black to match the black on my black and white Rockster.... Well that would mean no bike for at least a week, if not longer, and that wouldn't be a good thing, so I started looking on Ebay for some used covers. I was lucky and found a right and a left in pretty good shape, bought them and took them down to AJ @ West Coast Powder Coating down in S San Francisco and should have the painted ones back in a week. The plan is to install the painted ones and then have the originals stripped and powder coated, too. Then I'll have an extra pair that I will probably sell on Ebay or to one of the members here, if anyone's interested.
========
Also, a tip for anyone whose grips are worn and you don't want to spend the $ on new ones.... I have not had very good luck with the foam grip covers that are available, having found that they tear pretty easily, so I had some extra bicycle handlebar tape in the garage and found that it works great! The kind I had was a soft foam that provides great cushioning and shock absorption. Just use electrical tape to fasten the start and then the end. Tapes are available in many colors, so you can color coordinate if you are so inclined.

Thanks for listening,
Toner
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Rockster Beautification Project & a tip for grips

Post by sweatmark »

Glad to see you back here!

Let me know how the valve covers turn out. I've asked a few local paint shops if they can strip and correctly prep magnesium, and the answers don't inspire confidence. Might be interested in that 2nd pair of covers once finished.

There's a grip replacement thread on ADV with good pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90799
I'm going with aftermarket motocross grips over the heated cores, next time mine wear out.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
toner87
Donating Member #: 0

Post by toner87 »

I think the valve covers turned out excellent and they are such an improvement over my tired old gray ones. Now to decide what to do with the old pair. Sell as is or done up like these. Hmm...

Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Howdy! Been a long time away...

My left grip is "sticky." Not sure what I got on it way back when, but the rubber has smooshed and deformed on the surface. Came off on my glove as well. The heat still works, the barest surface is all that is affected, so I'm not inclined to replace the grip.

What I've used to deal with it is "X-treme tape" from Duluth Trading. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/prod ... or=content I'm sure its available elsewhere. This stuff works well. Doesn't dampen the heat from my grips, and it looks "stock." If you look at the bike, you'd probably not realize there's a repair. I keep the rest of the roll on the bike just in case.

The tape has no adhesive. It sticks to itself, when you stretch it. It is re-positionable, but becomes permanent in several hours. So it fits tightly and there's no sticky adhesive "ooze" after my bike has been sitting in the sun ... all summer long.

I just replaced my first X-treme tape repair. The end started to come loose (I'd wrapped it the wrong direction). Easy to cut it away from the original grip without damaging it, and no gooey clean-up before replacing it.

P
hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

[ I had some extra bicycle handlebar tape in the garage and found that it works great! ]

I used tennis racket grip on mine, it doesn't have much cushioning (which I didn't want), therefore didn't increase the overall diameter by much. the heating elements still work perfectly well. All for $8.95 !! can't beat that.