Opening the Crash Bar can o' worms again

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Opening the Crash Bar can o' worms again

Post by ICBMguy »

So somebody talk me out of going after crash bars for Jasper. One of the guys I work with just had an incident where a deer jumped up and literally landed in his lap. He ended up laying the bike down and his crash bars prevented any serious damage to him or the bike. Yup, the exact circumstances are unlikely to happen again, but the chances of a wreck are always there. So, do I really NEED crash bars or will the cylinders suffice to keep my legs from getting crushed?
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
peels
Basic User

Re: Opening the Crash Bar can o' worms again

Post by peels »

"talk you out of" ?

I love the bars on mine. LOL at first, I was thinking, "i could sell these giant things" but now, Ill keep em...

not sure (Or hope not) ill ever use them....but I would hate to find that I DID need them, and didnt have them. :)

mine came with sw motech bars already on though. However, I did add them to all my previous bikes. I dropped mine for the first time on a soft shoulder the other day. (noob) bars kept rock scratches off the motor. not really a HUGE reason to have bars...

SO do you NEED them... hard to say. Do you WANT to protect the boxer heads AND your legs in case of any possible crash? probably. :)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
libertynh
Basic User

Post by libertynh »

Bought mine with a set of black Hepco Becker bars over chrome head covers. Took them off to adjust valves and left them off. If I keep doing more gravel and dirt they should go back on I guess to protect the engine. Don't think the extra inch or so would make much of a difference for by leg though.
Bruce H
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Bruce H »

Are the Hepco Becker or the SW Motech bars a direct fit for a 1999 R1100R? I'd like to put a set on my wife's bike.