2010 R12R, Final Drive Oil change

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Jed
Basic User

2010 R12R, Final Drive Oil change

Post by Jed »

Has anyone with a 2010 or newer R12R changed their final drive oil? All the video's and pictorial guides I've seen show the drain plug at the 9:00 o'clock position on the rear drive (as viewed from the right side of the bike) - this necessitates removing the speed sensor to allow dropping the final drive to drain the oil. My bike has a drain plug at 6 o'clock and a fill plug on the top-inside of the final drive unit.

I'm assuming this means that:
I don't need to remove the speed sensor or lower the final drive - since I can drain the oil and replace the oil with just a removal of the rear wheel.

SO this raises the question:
Is it worth dropping the final drive anyways in order to lubricate the drive shaft?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

cheers,
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Re: 2010 R12R, Final Drive Oil change

Post by roger l »

I have a 2008 and the drain plug is at the 6:00 position and the fill plug is at the 12:00 position. When I change rear tires, about every 10,000 miles I change the rear end lube. The volume of oil is 180 ml. At the same time I lube the spline on the drive shaft. I do not remove the speed sensor. I just unclip the ties holding the wire from the speed sensor and it gives me enough slack to drop the rear drive and lube the spline. Remember to make sure that the boot gets clipped in properly on both ends or it will let water in and rust the spline and the universal joint.

Roger L
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

One tip I would suggest when changing the FD fluid is to make sure you can get the fill plug out before you pull the 6:00 drain plug. You want to be sure you can get fluid back in after you've drained it.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

the last time I Changed the FD oil, I filled it 180cc through the vent. No tire removal required.

David
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

the vent?
don't think I have one on my 2009?
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:the vent?
don't think I have one on my 2009?
You may not.

David
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Jed wrote: SO this raises the question:
Is it worth dropping the final drive anyways in order to lubricate the drive shaft?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

cheers,

I say it is, not only do you get to inspect the drive shaft, lubricating the spline AND cleaning/greasing the boot is worth the effort. That boot being properly sealed is important to keep the drive shaft in good working order and dropping the FD isn't much work at all while you're in there.
Get Lost!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I changed final drive oil at 6000mls. The dealer did NOT changed at600 mls.Its colour vas GRAY.I will avoid to take my bike to dealer if it is not apsolutelly necsesery.Put in LUCAS75W90 Syntetic,180ml-s. =D> Please do not understand me wrong way,Ido not intende to save on my 18,500CAD bike few bucks ,but I am using my long years of experience,and it is prooven to work.

It is working to this point!!

Thanks for replys,Steve H.
xfjr

Post by xfjr »

Don't forget...the final drive fill plug is an allen head, not a torx. I already made that mistake.