Anyone tried the new Tourance Next?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

rad
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Anyone tried the new Tourance Next?

Post by rad »

I loved the old Tourance on my GS and the new Tourance, the "Next", comes stock on the Wethead GS and comes in the R sizes!.

I have a set in my basket at Revzilla but have not pulled the trigger yet. It is billed as a 90/10 street/dirt split.

It won Motorrad's large bike dual sport tire shoot out. it does look like the test was mainly street oriented.

http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com/20 ... -shootout/

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Anyone tried the new Tourance Next?

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I was looking at the Anakee 3s but not ava in RR sizes 8(

wound up going with Angel GTs. They were shipped today (from Revzilla). You've read the reviews at Revzilla about wet performance of the Nexts? I tell you though, if you're looking for a tire of that genre check out the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Mine lasted only 7k and I am easy on tires, but they were the best holding tires I've ridden. Came from two sets of PR3s and prior PR2s and prior ME880s and prior Diablo Stradas and prior PR1s.
Loved the Scorpion Trails, but not their lifespan.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Just judging from appearance the new ones look much less capable off pavement. Many fewer edges to work with.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Just judging from appearance the new ones look much less capable off pavement. Many fewer edges to work with.
Agreed.

+1 on the Scorpion Trails. Dr. Strangelove, which version did you buy? I'm running the K spec with the dual compound and thicker sidewall, and at 2k miles haven't seen a whole lot of wear. Even if I only get 7k out of them, I'll probably still re-up. I've been very impressed with them in all conditions.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Ya know, the Scorpion Trails are billed as a 95/5 tire, just like the second generation Tourance. They are really a sport bike tire with a great cornering reputation. The first generation Tourance was billed as a 80/20 tire and the latest Tourance Next is billed as a 90/10.

My other issue is 7k is too little mileage for me.

I've always felt that because motorcycle tires wear out so quick there is no reason not to try them all.
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

Ya know, the Scorpion Trails are billed as a 95/5 tire, just like the second generation Tourance. They are really a sport bike tire with a great cornering reputation. The first generation Tourance was billed as a 80/20 tire and the latest Tourance Next is billed as a 90/10.
Sounds pretty scientific. I wonder how long it took their marketing departments to arrive at those ratios. Now I just need a sensor/alarm to notify me when I've exceeded 5%. ;) And "mainly" street-oriented is kind of misleading. The test was ONLY done on the street. I'm trying to figure out what good a dual sport tire shoot out is if there isn't any dual sporting involved...

Anyhoo, I look forward to your review of the Next, if they wear considerably better than the Scorpions, I'd be interested in trying a pair out.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

MTBeemer wrote:Just judging from appearance the new ones look much less capable off pavement. Many fewer edges to work with.
Supposedly, on these next generation tires it's the compound not the tread pattern that is alleged to supply superior traction off the pavement. Sounds like marketing hoopla to me. I have Anakee 3's on my GS and they are great on the street. But they don't seem all that wonderful in the dirt. But maybe it's just me. I didn't air them down as is recommended in the dirt.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Compound.... bleahk... It is the tire's ability to displace mud, sand and small gravel from it's pathway as well as having suffficient bitting edges that make it work off pavement. No secret here.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

+1 on the Scorpion Trails. Dr. Strangelove, which version did you buy? I'm running the K spec with the dual compound and thicker sidewall, and at 2k miles haven't seen a whole lot of wear. Even if I only get 7k out of them, I'll probably still re-up. I've been very impressed with them in all conditions.
The rear is the 73V and I see a small k on the sidewall amongst some numbers. The sidewalls are VERY stiff. I could mount the front but the rear had to go to the shop for mounting

I am hoping the the grip and ride of the Angels compare well

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

I'm sure we have all run real dual sport tires on our real dual sports. I've run Tourances, TKC80's, MT21's, 606's and a few others on many nasty off road adventures. I know what off road traction is, I don't expect any tire on the R to be much in that regard.

Even my best knobs met their match on this day

Off road is really about the rider

Here Jimmy Lewis took a dare from a handful of us who attended a special three day desert riding school he taught just for us, and rode over that log, and Jean-Luc snapped the pic.
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

I don't expect any tire on the R to be much in that regard.
I'm not really looking for a tire that'll handle nasty stuff, but I am a little concerned about the direction "dual sport" tires for larger bikes are going. They seem to be catering more and more the GS/Multistrada wannabe crowd that only rides on pavement. The new Anakee 3 and the Tourance Next seem like perfect examples. Of all the tires I've seen in this class, the Scorpion Trail has the most aggressive and non-repetitive tread - then it's straight to the TKC-80. I miss the 80/20 tires I could get on smaller displacement bikes. They wear well, handle well on the street, and the more aggressive, block patterns work nicely in off tarmac situations.

But what do I expect, I ride a street bike. :D
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Karamazov wrote: I'm not really looking for a tire that'll handle nasty stuff, but I am a little concerned about the direction "dual sport" tires for larger bikes are going. They seem to be catering more and more the GS/Multistrada wannabe crowd that only rides on pavement.
No question about it, you are dead on. however, we all know what direction M/C sales has gone in the last few years. BMW with the GS launched a new type of bike and each year since those airhead GS's came out the bikes have been getting bigger with more and more body work. They are just the SUV of the bike world, and there is nothing wrong with that. Those of us who want to dual sport still can find bikes and tires to do that on.

The R is the wrong tool for job, regarding off road, no surprise there. I'm just glad we do have a few choices in regards to tires and I have a funny feeling that off road I bet it would be hard to tell the difference between most of the "dual sport" tires that fit the R.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

="Karamazov
They seem to be catering more and more the GS/Multistrada wannabe crowd that only rides on pavement.
But what do I expect, I ride a street bike. :D
Nice try Karamazov but I'm sure it will be taken as a challenge to some of the dual sport crowd. I won't jump into the mud pit with you and post my feelings about the new "off road adventurer" types. It amazes me when I go to rallys and see rows of GS bikes lined up,some five or more years old, and not a scratch or dent on them. Maybe they've been run down roads with soft rocks and gravel on them.
I also would like a more aggressive type tire but I've been spoiled by the mileage I'm getting out of the PR3's.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

mogu83 wrote: Nice try Karamazov but I'm sure it will be taken as a challenge to some of the dual sport crowd. I won't jump into the mud pit with you and post my feelings about the new "off road adventurer" types. It amazes me when I go to rallys and see rows of GS bikes lined up,some five or more years old, and not a scratch or dent on them. Maybe they've been run down roads with soft rocks and gravel on them.
I ain't afraid of the mud.

The owners of the GS's that you see at rallys don't go off road, that might scratch the paint. But those big GSA's sure look tough in the parking lot of the local Starbucks.

The real GS riders aren't at rallys, they are out riding the Trans America Trail and other awesome dual-sport rides.
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Come on guys......

It does not matter what bike you own or how you use it. No combination of those two things is any better than the way anybody else chooses to enjoy motorcycles.

No one has to apologize for buying a bike and using it how they see fit. Garage queen or epic world traveler, there is really no difference; both people doing what they enjoy.
Karamazov
Lifer

Post by Karamazov »

rad wrote:Come on guys......

It does not matter what bike you own or how you use it. No combination of those two things is any better than the way anybody else chooses to enjoy motorcycles.

No one has to apologize for buying a bike and using it how they see fit. Garage queen or epic world traveler, there is really no difference; both people doing what they enjoy.
Well in that case, I like to use my bike to make fun of GS posers. I refuse to apologize :twisted:
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
rad
Basic User

Post by rad »

Karamazov wrote:
rad wrote:Come on guys......

Well in that case, I like to use my bike to make fun of GS posers. I refuse to apologize :twisted:

:lol: now dats funny
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

If the new tourance wear anything like the old ones it would be a great LD travel tire for the R IMO. Only model tire I've even ran on any bike that lasted 6K miles.
I do agree from my experience that it won't make much of a difference when off tarmac on the R, best bet is to air down to gain traction with any street tire no matter how it's marketed. If a tire doesn't have big blocks with lots of space in between it's pretty much all the (low) same dirt performance. A lightly packed big bike with a rider that has good balance and control will help more than anything else within reason.
Jimmy Lewis is the right guy to tech you these things for sure. :mrgreen:

Like just about anything, it's easy to poke fun at stereotypes, especially groups on motorbikes. If folks are having fun pretending to be a pirate, or getting ready for a RTW Adventure then good for them, it's time better spent than sitting on the couch watching TV like the rest of the masses. ;)

Nobody ever went broke overestimating Americans’ ability to value fantasy over reality.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/autom ... .html?_r=0
Get Lost!