Looking for a part number for factory windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

kbnesbitt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Looking for a part number for factory windshield

Post by kbnesbitt »

Since I bought my R, there has been one missing piece that bothers me. I am missing one of the little rubber stoppers at the top of the touring windshield frame. The schematic I have seen at the dealership parts counter seems to show the frame as being one piece, without these stoppers. :-k

Does anyone know if these pieces are available separately, as well as the part number?

Thanks in advance!
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1973 Honda CB350 (long term project)
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Looking for a part number for factory windshield

Post by websterize »

71 60 7 699 807 CAP 2 $2.00
Maybe?
Bill
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Interesting. Shows on the list of parts, but is not identified as a separate piece in the drawing.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Is the rubber goober broken off, or gone out of the tubing? As they come from the factory, they're sorta rubber-bullet looking things.

All my touring frames have had them cut off, and then the stub still in the tubing drilled and tapped to hold a cross-bar that my GPS mounts to. The first time I tried adding the cross-bar I tried pulling one of the goobers out of the fame, and instead it broke off flush with the top of the tubing. I decided to drill/tap it and put a bolt in it to pull it out. Did that - couldn't pull it out, so - eureka! An idea - break off both tops and tap/drill them. I've done it on a number of mounts. Never had the plug left in the tubing come out, and I suspect it would have to be drilled out.

AFAIK - BMW doesn't sell them as a separate part. I'm sure you can find some tubing caps that would fit that tubing, then just take the other one off and put on the tubing caps.. Looked up 71 60 7 699 807 on RealOEM - strange, lists them doesn't show'm. At $2.80/each, be worth ordering one to see what arrives.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
kbnesbitt
Lifer

Post by kbnesbitt »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I went to the dealership with the suggested part number, and they had to get in touch with BMW Canada to find out if it was the right piece. The distributor didn't have the part in their inventory, so the cap will be emigrating from Germany very soon.

BTW, if you have the touring mount on your bike, you may want to unbolt the windshield and see if any water comes out of the holes. I know my mount was open to the elements, but judging by the pond sludge that was coming out of mine, the mount seems to be an effective trap for condensation. After draining and drying, I sprayed some rustproofing down the holes, just in case. As much as I want a Parabellum Scout fairing, I don't want to buy it today...

Thanks again.
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
kbnesbitt
Lifer

Post by kbnesbitt »

The part landed at the dealership today, and I can safely report that the part number listed in this thread is correct. However, after just completing a 1300 km trip, with plenty of slab running, the Scout fairing (as well as an upgraded seat) has moved up in the list of necessities...
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R