Knobbys on an RT

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lee Davis
Basic User

Knobbys on an RT

Post by Lee Davis »

I think my next long distance trip will be to Mexico. I tend to stay off the toll roads completely and ride the main highways only if there is no alternative. It is much more fun to ride the smaller roads, although these tend to all be paved. Occasionally though the dirt roads beckon or just happen, and so I am wondering about starting out with knobbys. I have no experience with them and wonder how they feel and perform on pavement as a general all around tire on my RT. I usually travel about 80 here on New Mexico highways. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Lee Davis
peels
Basic User

Re: Knobbys on an RT

Post by peels »

they can be louder, and can slip a little in turns. But totally do-able... just seems like riding an RT on a crappy road might be hellish.

i bet you can find some dual purpose type tires for this though, that wont be so bad.not THAT knobby, but with deeper tread.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Look at the Pirelli Scorpion tyres - road biased but with enough 'block' tread pattern for light off-roading. They're standard fit on bikes like the Multistrada.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

The Pirelli Scorpion Trail comes in 160, 180, and 190 width's for 17" rears. I used to use the Scorpion Sync Tires (180/55-17) on my roadster with a 5.5" rear Rim, but Pirelli no longer makes the Sync it has been replaced with the Scorpion Trails. When I replaced my tires this year I switched to the New Metzler Tourance Next Tires which are availble in 170 & 180 widths as well as a 120/70-17 front Tire they are reported to be a 90/10 (on/off) tire. The only difference is that the 120/70-17 front has a W (168 mph) speed rating and the 170/60-16 Rear has V (149 mph) speed rating which is more than enough for a RT.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

Used to ride on conti trail attacks on my GS. Perfect for paved roads & more than do-able on gravel. It's not really a nobby tire but has the big profile.
I assume they sell them in all sizes:

From left to right: Anakee 2, Anakee 3, Trail Attack.
The Anakee's also look like they would fit your purpose.
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

Thanks for all the great info. I am uneducated in the range of tires out there in the modern world, so this is good for me. I like the looks of the Pirelli Scorpion MT90/AT dual sport tires. They are called 70/30 and that seems just about right for me. Even remind me of the tread on the Dunlop K70's that I had on my 1970 BSA 441. As for an RT on crappy roads, I disagree! I have done some terrible roads (though no Long Way Around type stuff) on my RT, even taken a few spills going up a steep mine road in Nevada that a 4x4 would balk at, yet made it nicely through... but, when we got to it, that tarmac sure was beautiful. Mexico is easy... just prefer to have some tread for the occasional dirt roads and minor sand or gravel. Cheers.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Lee Davis wrote:Thanks for all the great info. I am uneducated in the range of tires out there in the modern world, so this is good for me. I like the looks of the Pirelli Scorpion MT90/AT dual sport tires. They are called 70/30 and that seems just about right for me. Even remind me of the tread on the Dunlop K70's that I had on my 1970 BSA 441. As for an RT on crappy roads, I disagree! I have done some terrible roads (though no Long Way Around type stuff) on my RT, even taken a few spills going up a steep mine road in Nevada that a 4x4 would balk at, yet made it nicely through... but, when we got to it, that tarmac sure was beautiful. Mexico is easy... just prefer to have some tread for the occasional dirt roads and minor sand or gravel. Cheers.

cool, I was thinking more "RT OFF road" not crappy road... Pictured an RT in the sand dunes a'la dakar rally LOL if i were to fall over, it would stay there to rot :)

No, the suspension on these things is great....ive had the R on washboard gravel...soaks it up. A bit squirelly, but easy on the inputs, and it goes straight.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

Dakar on an RT? Do you mean that is not practical? Of course, I would draw the line at that, but I have never been one to flinch at an adventure simply because of the bike I happen to ride. After all, I was off on a summer adventure in 1971, to do the Mackenzie river by canoe. I was in New Mexico and Doug with the VW and canoe was in Ohio. I loaded my trusty BSA Victor single with gear and headed off. Canoe trip went fine, and the bike made it all the way to Ohio and all the way back to Ft Scott, Kansas before the rings went. But, that is secondary to the 3rd canoe trip in 1979. Left Virginia in a VW bus with no starter, bald tires (Bald!), and a transmission that popped out of 4th gear. Drove to Fort Norman, BC. When we returned the VW camper has a decent set of tires, a replacement transmission and a good starter... just no muffler... it blew off somewhere in Ontario.
maccraith
Lifer

Post by maccraith »

I live in Mexico 2/3 to 3/4 of the year. I bought my bike (R1150R) for Mexico; it stays here year around. Mexico is one of the most beautiful places I have ever ridden. In all the many thousands of miles I have ridden here, I have never wished for or considered changing my Michelin road tires for something with more "grip." Very seldom have I ever been off an asphalt or cement surface for longer than ten minutes. And I have been far enough out in the "way-back" that the only inhabitants were wild burros.

More grip never hurts. But if you are thinking that you NEED more grip to ride and enjoy Mexico, I am pretty certain you will find you don't. But do come. It is drop dead gorgeous.
'03 R1150R
Riding year around in central Mexico.
Don't believe anything you hear; find out!
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

I have spent quite a lot of time in Mexico, and so I agree with you that it is beautiful. Where do you live? Maybe I can drop by for a visit sometime. By the way, I currently have Michelins on my RT with about 5,000 on them... they will do for a while. Lee Davis
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

Continental TKC 80s http://www.revzilla.com/product/contine ... port-tires

I don't know if they're made in sizes for your BMW, but my 07 WeeStrom (500lbs before the luggage) came with them and they were great on the blacktop and gravel once I got used to the weight being so high on the Wee. I replaced them with Shinko 705's as I'm less about the dirt and gravel these days.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

I can say Pilot Road 3 front are a much better tire than other street tires on gravel roads.

PR2 front on gravel are terrible.

I try to keep my roadster on blacktop. The times I have had it on "dirt" roads or gravel I find it MUCH better than my RT was.

David
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

Well, I checked and it seems that I have Pilot Road 2's on my rt. This has sure been a useful education for me! I think I shall put a new set of PR3 tires on.