Tire wear

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Tire wear

Post by captaincable »

I know this is a tiresome and very subjective topic, but I only have 4k on a Metzler 880 ME front tire and it is almost worn out. I got just under 5K on rear and that had steel braids showing. I dont ride hard very often and then it is just a short burst or so. I check the air every few days so that should not be a issue.The front is wearing evenly just quickly. Maybe just whining but it seems like very poor service .Mounted a PR3 on the rear about 1K ago love it hope it holds up.My shocks are old but seem to be working well for there age, no cupping or odd wear patterns.
Just wondering.
Mike
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Tire wear

Post by ICBMguy »

Not sure about the tires you had, I had Z6's on when I bought the bike and the front was wearing thin but the back still had plenty of life left. I swapped for PR3s about a year and 1,500 miles ago and have been extremely happy, they feel (to me) to be a more all-around tire versus the more sport-oriented Z6s. Of course remember the general trade-off between grip (softer tire usually) and wear life (harder tire compound).
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

What tire pressures are you running?
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

38LB front 40lb rear loaded minus 2lbs unloaded.BTW CycleRob told me to get a digital air gauge , the two gauges I have (1 stick 1 round needle ) are within 1-11/2 lb of each other have a couple of others that wont fit the bike but tried on car tires just to make sure of reasonable accuracy.
Mike
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

@ICBMguy

I just threw some PR3s on mine as well - hoping to get good mileage out of them. I've been told I should expect north of 10,000 miles - here's hoping!
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

re: pressures. Haynes says front 32 rear 36 solo, 36/39 2 up. I regularly keep the bags on so I shoot for 34/37 and haven't had any issues yet.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
captaincable
Basic User

Post by captaincable »

I tip the scales around 220lb + gear and ride with panniers, commute 95% of the time so I keep rain gear on board and approx 5lbs of other stuff + cooler on back rack beginning to wonder if I am running the tires a little hard, have noticed they are cracking as well similar to dry rot and are just about touching wear bar at least I am assuming its a wear indicator. Oh well I was wanting to match the back PR3 anyway. Ride safe
Mike