Brake Failure Light

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Re: Brake Failure Light

Post by celticus »

No one I know of.
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Grey R
Basic User

Post by Grey R »

This thread has just taken on a whole new meaning to me as my brake failure light came on several weeks ago and after taking it in to my local dealer they have informed me that the ABS control module is defective and will cost over $2,000 to replace. :shock: :shock: . My bike is an '08 with only 8,200 miles. [-X [-X They told me to call BMW customer service and explain the situation, and see what they would do. They also said there were issues with the modules on late 2007 and 2008 BMW's. Anyone have any insight/experience in this matter? I really hope they don't leave me holding the bag on this. I love BMW's and would be rather put off to say the least if an issue like this isn't dealt with fairly by them. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

Today I took off some body panels and lifted the rear of the gas tank and found the ABS module. I placed a wooden rod on the pump motor and gave it a tap with a hammer. Now instead of a solid light it blinks but does not go off when ridden.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Grey R wrote:This thread has just taken on a whole new meaning to me as my brake failure light came on several weeks ago and after taking it in to my local dealer they have informed me that the ABS control module is defective and will cost over $2,000 to replace. :shock: :shock: . My bike is an '08 with only 8,200 miles. [-X [-X They told me to call BMW customer service and explain the situation, and see what they would do. They also said there were issues with the modules on late 2007 and 2008 BMW's. Anyone have any insight/experience in this matter? I really hope they don't leave me holding the bag on this. I love BMW's and would be rather put off to say the least if an issue like this isn't dealt with fairly by them. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Might be worth talking to these guys: http://modulemaster.com/store/products/ ... build.html - it's not our ABS module, but it sounds as if they are trying to expand their market into motorcycle ABS systems, so perhaps they'd have some interest in trying to fix yours.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

celticus wrote:Today I took off some body panels and lifted the rear of the gas tank and found the ABS module. I placed a wooden rod on the pump motor and gave it a tap with a hammer. Now instead of a solid light it blinks but does not go off when ridden.

Mark
Mark,

That means something. I can't recall exactly where I saw the link for fixing the ABS system we have, but basically it involved reseating the brushes for the motor IIRC. If I remember - they were tending to bind up and lose contact with the motor armature. Cleaning and reseating them seemed to fix it for some people.

Perhaps googling it might turn it up.. (I'm vaguely remembering ADVForum.. but I could be misremembering too..)
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

It may be this you are thinking about Don.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38871
It is a worthwhile PDF.
Mark
Air can hurt you too
Tominer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Tominer »

My 2007 R12R also had the Brake Failure light come on recently. I'm reading through this board and finding more and more ABS related issues.

The dealer (Battley, Gaithersburg, MD) said the ABS pump failed and quoted me $1700 to replace - about $1400 for the pump and almost 3 hours labor. Does that sound right?

I've contacted BMW Mototrad and requested some (any) assistance with the repair as I feel ABS failure on 5 year old bike with 11,000 miles is unacceptable, especially for a BMW.

Unfortunatley, BMW declined to offer ANY assistance. I'm disappointed in 1) the ABS failure and 2) BMW's response.

Tom Miner
Rockville, MD
R50, R90S, R80, R12R
Tom Miner
Rockville, MD
2007 R1200R
2012 HD FLHR Road King
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

That is several hundred dollars cheaper than what was quoted to me by my dealer in Knoxville Tn. My friends who used to ride BMWs hear this and feel justified in their decision to move on to Triumphs.
Mark
Last edited by celticus on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air can hurt you too
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Your static, cranking and running Voltages are spot on.

David
r100rsman
Basic User

Post by r100rsman »

I think I may have an issue with my 08 3k miles as well. Got the bike a month ago and the it displays the following when turning on the bike and i am not sure if it’s normal.

Turn ignition on, the brake failure light flashes and the little yellow light flashes as well. After about 5 seconds yellow light goes out and brake failure light continues to flash until bike moves forward about 5-10 feet at which time it goes out.

The abs appears to be working as when i try to lock up rear wheel the wheel modulates and won’t lock up.
Also, new battery and rear brake light bulb is fine (both filaments).

Is my initial start lighting sequence correct? If my abs was not working would rear wheel lock up on hard braking?

Thanks
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2008 BMW R1200R
2001 Suzuki DR650
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

It sounds like yours is working properly.
Air can hurt you too
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

r100rsman wrote:I think I may have an issue with my 08 3k miles as well. Got the bike a month ago and the it displays the following when turning on the bike and i am not sure if it’s normal.

Turn ignition on, the brake failure light flashes and the little yellow light flashes as well. After about 5 seconds yellow light goes out and brake failure light continues to flash until bike moves forward about 5-10 feet at which time it goes out.

The abs appears to be working as when i try to lock up rear wheel the wheel modulates and won’t lock up.
Also, new battery and rear brake light bulb is fine (both filaments).

Is my initial start lighting sequence correct? If my abs was not working would rear wheel lock up on hard braking?

Thanks
If I remember correctly from test riding it (still waiting on my bike) it did the same with both R12s I rode. I think the ABS cannot be properly checked until after the bike has started to go into motion..

Post by Plonkaj »

2007 R1200R

11000 miles

I recently replaced my battery (1 1/2 months ago) with an original BMW battery. I rode the bike 4 or 5 times since the replacement. Yesterday I was riding to work and the brake failure light came on. When I started the bike after work, no light until I was half way home and I braked, brake failure light again. This morning no light, I tested the rear brake and the ABS worked fine. I applied the integral (hand) brake and the brake failure light came on again.

I charged my battery and put it back in the bike and checked the brake light bulb. I turned it on and the brake failure stayed illuminated, no flashing.

I see that this is a problem with a lot of the 07-08 BMW's. has anyone had any luck getting BMW to fix the problem free of charge? I bought the bike new and have had it serviced at BMW regularly.

I'm pretty frustrated, I plan on taking a week long ride I. The Alps next month!!

Thank you,

Jason
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

I had this problem one time. I changed the bulb out and as best I can remember it it did not fix the problem. Seems like the problem just went away. I can't remember. If you have a trip planned and everything is working OK,, go. Just put up with the warning light.
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Checking the brake light bulb isn't as simple as looking at what it does.. the ZFE is a smart bugger, and if one filament of either the brake or running light bulbs burns out, it makes the other bulb do double-duty by running it a lower voltage as a running light, and full voltage as a brake light.

That said - it should indicate a bulb out, not a brake failure. If you have ABS chances are the modulator has done what they do - failed. I have heard of BMW picking up a considerable portion of the cost (just recently actually..) so it's certainly worth approaching them. If they won't - then I'd suggest Module Masters rebuild of the unit.

I do know people who have ridden the bikes a considerable distance with the failed modulator with no real problems. I also heard of one instance where it apparently failed differently then normal and locked a brake on.

A true case of YMMV..
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

yer prolly screwed to the max-- typically a non blinking solid brake failure light means --- pressure modualtor gone bad. now in bmw speak that means get yer 2,500 + ready. or if yer not of the bmw brain washed dead you can send the modulator off and have it rebuilt fer 3-5 hundred. course it wont be bmw approved etc,,,,,
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

Figure out if your ABS is working. This was easy for me because my driveway is gravel and has some steep places.
Contact Module Masters http://www.modulemaster.com/en/BMW/index.php. They fixed mine for around $300.
The local BMW shop quoted me $1700 or $1800 for parts and $600 or $700 for labor.
The ABS unit is something of a bear to get to. It seems like they built the rest of the bike around the ABS but I did it so it is doable. Just keep in mind all the money you are saving.
As I recall they are pretty quick with the repairs also.
Air can hurt you too
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

BE careful testing the ABS at low speed. I did it on wet grass in my back yard. It does not work under 5 mph and I went on my azz.

David
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

My ABS pump went out last month (at around 48K) as I was driving it home after the costly replacement of the rear-wheel flange. The service manager at the dealer I use contacted BMWNA to request a good faith repair. To my surprise they agreed to cover 75% of the replacement part and perform the work at a reduced warranty rate (they even gave me a 60-day grace period to scrape together the money to have it done). I picked it up today and was out the door with a new ABS pump for under $600.
Last edited by R12RnHouston on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

R12RnHouston wrote:My ABS pump went out last month (at around 48K) as I was driving it home after the costly replacement of the rear-wheel flange. The service manager at the dealer I use contacted BMWNA to request a good faith repair. To my surprise they agreed to cover 75% of the replacement part and perform to work at a reduced warranty rate (they even gave me a 60-day grace period to scrape together the money to have it done). I picked it up today and was out the door with a new ABS pump for under $600.
Since there has been a rash of ABS recalls declared by NHTSA/DOT (many Japanese bikes, some US made bikes and some other Euro bikes, there have been 6 or 7 in the past 5 weeks or so) - I'm guessing BMW is going to try to downplay the failure of their ABS pumps.. I suspect that, and having a good dealer who actually contacted BMW and asked for it resulted in a positive result for you. Congrats!