Front fork section question

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Front fork section question

Post by ldeijkva »

Hey guys. Probably a stupid question, but I never really paid attention to this. Is the front fork/wheel/steer supposed to be 100% rigid, or is there always supposed to be just a bit of "frame" flexibility? Reason I'm asking is I reccently placed a missing dust cap on the top of the right front forktube (don't know the correct word...).

I loosened the steering bolts, moved it a bit, loosened the top forktube bolt, pulled down the forktube & put on the dust cap. I was under the impression that you could do this without stabilizing anything if the real wheel hits the floor, and the front wheel hoovers a few inches above the ground. To my surprise the fork tube popped out to the side just a tiny bit. I put everything back together afterwards.

Bike is stable. When riding & letting go of the steering bar it stays in a perfectly straight line.
Now it must be my imagination but it seems to "search" a bit if you take a sporty corner. I double checked all bolts etc, everything is tightened as it should.