Clock lighting fix

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Clock lighting fix

Post by ldeijkva »

Recently I noticed a couple of dash lights went dark. The speedo was only half lit, clock was completely dark.
Took of the windshield & dash caps, gently pushed the instruments. Issue was easy to pinpoint. The speedo bulb behind the red part was burned, so much it looked like a chrome bulb. Easy to switch, just plug in a new one & your good to go.

The clock light was a bit of a hassle. Though this is nowhere near a difficult fix, but taking into account how long it took me to find a useable part I thought sharing here.
When you take the clock out you'll notice 3 wires. 1 for feeding the clock, 1 for feeding the bulb, and 1 for closing the circuit. The clock & circuit are hooked up with a connector which you can eaasily get in any electrics store. The light bulb however is part of the wiring loom. This is kinda hard for me to describe in English so please bare with me.

The wiring loom holds all the bulb connectors. Most of them are universal, so worst case if you run in to a problem you could cutt one off & replace it with a new connector.
For the clock light bulb they hooked up a small socket with a small cap on the end of the wire. The wire cap connects to the bottom of the light bulb, the light bulb is inserted into the connector, the connector hooks up to the clock casing, creating a closed circuit. Issue with my dash that for some reason the cap desintegrated, and the loom was just hanging somewhere in the dash. You can't get the cap in any store, nor any garage (at least not here...). Irritating...

I tried soldering a new cap which did not work at all. I don't do that stuff too often, working on such a little space is not easy for a neanderthale like me...
After taking apart random electrics I came across an old fusebox with a wire like this:

Perfect! Pushed it through the connector, hooked it up to the old wire, put everything back & works like a charm.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Nothing special, but could save someone some headache...