Max wattage for Auxiliary driving lights

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

joelh
Basic User

Max wattage for Auxiliary driving lights

Post by joelh »

What is a safe max wattage for my 96 r1100r? Orielly has 55 watt halogen lights for $24. Price is much better than the led lights from twisted throttle. Those lights, However are 3 watts. I have heated grips and may at some point look Into some heated gear.
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Max wattage for Auxiliary driving lights

Post by ICBMguy »

I may be mistaken, but the alternator should put out a max of 700W. With headlights, turn signals, etc. as a "baseline wattage cost" of around 200W, you get max 500W for all your accessories. Of course I may be completely wrong, and alternator outage changes with RPMs so maybe somebody else out there knows for sure.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
joelh
Basic User

Post by joelh »

Thanks. I had read in my repair manual that the alternator put out 700 watts but had no idea how much the bike consumes. That consumption gives me plenty of room for these lights.
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

Yup, I used my good 'ol Haynes manual to (conservatively) estimate the wattage of all the turn signals, headlight, instrument lights,and brake light. I swapped my turn signals for LEDs to drop my power demand as well (no problem for LEDs with the Kisan SM). Personally I'm looking for some good LED driving lights, I've seen the el cheapo's at AutoZone but am not sure how they'll hold up to motorcycle vibration, mount to the bike, etc.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

55-60 Watts max should be OK. IMO
I used two 55W auxiliary H-3 halogen lights wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse and on/off switch. No problems.
Heater grips on high and the headlight on high beam at night. 1996 R1100R.
Most of my driving was 3-4,500 rpm in high gear. I also think extended use at low speed (2500rpm cruising) with additional heated gloves, jacket or seat could run down the battery.
Have you checked the alternator output? I got 4-5 years out of the BMW Exide batteries. Battery Tender Plus used during winter months.
LEDs are expensive, but sip power.