12,000 Mile Update & Other Stuff

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

BLAIR1200R
Basic User

12,000 Mile Update & Other Stuff

Post by BLAIR1200R »

I let the dealer perform the 12K mile scheduled service last week (very busy days these days...). As you can imagine, it was pricy, but it’s done.
The front tire (stock Metzeler) had 12K miles on it and they still paused before recommending a replacement because it looked so good. I replace this as well, expecting a Fall trip up into Arkansas and Oklahoma in the next couple of months.
Wasn’t happy at the amount of balance weights required, but I’m picky about stuff like that.
The oil was overfilled again, but only slightly (maybe 75ml), so it would have been okay, but I couldn’t see the top of the oil in the sight glass, so I didn’t know.

I bought the platinum (oh, sorry, stainless steel... was referencing the price) Flapper Eliminator tube from die wunderbare Wunderlich. I plan on installing that soonest and removing the entire servo unit / exhaust flap. I’ll then have the stock header and the Remus Hexacone slipon I purchased when I got the bike.

Just purchased a set of Acerbis dual road handguards on Amazon ($50 cheaper then Wunderlich). This will be my third season commuting on the R1200R and it’s time to take care of the hands this year.

While I’m doing that work, I’ll take off the carbon canister. Remind me again what to do with the tubes?

I’m still contemplating aux lighting... why, I don’t know? I had dinner with some folks from work this week and stayed until after sundown. I took off for home, exited the freeway and was a few miles down the two lane blacktop towards the house when a doe ran across the road in front of me. As I target fixed on her :smt103 , the movement of the second caught my eye on the right side of the road. She started up the ditch to cross, but paused, probably because I chopped the throttle for the first, which made the exhaust burble. Anyway, I could barely see her, but was probably standing only a couple yards from the road. You would think that I would see the logic of buying lights and not worrying about the cost of this particular mod... :smt115

… oh yeah, I LOVE THIS BIKE !
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
GForman
Basic User

Re: 12,000 Mile Update & Other Stuff

Post by GForman »

i have aux lighting on my R1200R from motobozo. not very expensive but look and work very well. i just ordered a parabellum scout fairing for my bike and the motobozo lights won't work with the scout so i think i will get a set of caliper mount motolights. i also have a pair of Denali lights from twisted throttle on one of my other bikes that i am very happy with.
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hankth »

I had aux. lights on an RT that I owned. It was the best $300 I ever spent. I used them as drls as well. At night I could see off both sides of the road about 30 ft. I really considered this a vital safety issue. I don't have them on my R1200R only because I almost never ride at night any more. If you do, get a set of these with halogen bulbs.
R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

Post by R12RnHouston »

GForman wrote:i have aux lighting on my R1200R from motobozo. not very expensive but look and work very well. i just ordered a parabellum scout fairing for my bike and the motobozo lights won't work with the scout so i think i will get a set of caliper mount motolights. i also have a pair of Denali lights from twisted throttle on one of my other bikes that i am very happy with.
I'm also considering aux lighting, and have been looking very closely at the motobozzo. I like them because they look factory and are fairly inconspicuous when installed. For the price, they almost seem too good to be true! How was the installation? Is the green LED mounted on the controls there to indicate when the lights are on/off?
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
GForman
Basic User

Post by GForman »

installation was simple and quick. the green light is illuminated when the lights are on. your are right, for the price it almost seems to good to be true but i am very happy with them and the shipping as very fast.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I mounted a set of Piaa lights on my Parabellum Fairing. Their is a flat spot on the fairing that works perfect as long as you don't use a heavy light, the Piaas are plastic and very lightweight. Also don't forget to put a connector in the circuit so you can take your fairing off to change headlight lamps. I mounted the Piaa fog lamps with the lens at a 45 degree angle (out side high) and they light up the sides of the road illuminating those furry creatures that hide in the nightImageImage
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

GForman wrote:installation was simple and quick. the green light is illuminated when the lights are on. your are right, for the price it almost seems to good to be true but i am very happy with them and the shipping as very fast.
I'll second that, they are awesome lights. They look stock and the lighting is superb. Only issue I have, is every 6K - 7K miles I need to replace the blown bulbs. They are standard H11's I believe (maybe H7's) so only cost $11 for a pair. Anyone else have this issue with them?

2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

Sorry BLAIR, don't mean to scoop your post...
GForman wrote:installation was simple and quick. the green light is illuminated when the lights are on. your are right, for the price it almost seems to good to be true but i am very happy with them and the shipping as very fast.
fleuger99 wrote:I'll second that, they are awesome lights. They look stock and the lighting is superb. Only issue I have, is every 6K - 7K miles I need to replace the blown bulbs. They are standard H11's I believe (maybe H7's) so only cost $11 for a pair. Anyone else have this issue with them?
Can you gentlemen give me some details how you made the necessary splices?
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
SteveK
Basic User

Post by SteveK »

R12RnHouston wrote:Sorry BLAIR, don't mean to scoop your post...
fleuger99 wrote:I'll second that, they are awesome lights. They look stock and the lighting is superb. Only issue I have, is every 6K - 7K miles I need to replace the blown bulbs. They are standard H11's I believe (maybe H7's) so only cost $11 for a pair. Anyone else have this issue with them?
I initially tried to use positaps but wanted the splice inside the rubber boot on the plug. I eventually decided to solder them.
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

I suck at electrical work so had my dealer install them, which also ensured if there were any issues it was their fault :biggrin:
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
SteveK
Basic User

Post by SteveK »

fleuger99 wrote:
I suck at electrical work so had my dealer install them, which also ensured if there were any issues it was their fault :biggrin:
I originally took my Motobozzo lights to the dealer for installation when I had the 600 mile service performed. They mounted them and ran the wiring to the battery but they said if they spliced into the wiring of the headlight it would void my warranty. All they had to splice the wiring was the type of clips you get with boat trailer lighting so I completed the installation myself.
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

Thanks for the information! I disconnected the headlight wiring harness yesterday and had a look inside the rubber boot; looks like there is scarcely enough room in there for any kind of connecter. I’m thinking a soldered splice might be the best way to go if one wants to keep the connection “in the boot”?
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Good discussion… thanks for the info on the aux lights. They appear to be very similar to the lights sold by Wunderlich, but without the external housing and much less $.
I bought the platinum (oh, sorry, stainless steel... was referencing the price) Flapper Eliminator tube from die wunderbare Wunderlich. I plan on installing that soonest and removing the entire servo unit / exhaust flap. I’ll then have the stock header and the Remus Hexacone slipon I purchased when I got the bike.
To follow up on my flapper eliminator… I removed the stock parts and installed the "tube" to bridge where the flapper was. I have a problem with the installation though … the header side clamps down tight, but the other side will not tighten down enough (I can move the exhaust pipe). I've tried a few things, but can not tighten the clamp enough to prevent the exhaust pipe (connected to the Remus) from moving. I tightened everything down as far as I could and started the bike. I can feel puffs of exhaust coming out around the clamp(s).

How much of an issue is this? I rode it to work today and could not hear /feel any adverse effects of the slight exhaust leak.

On the contrary… and I know how this sounds… the bike ran better. It seemed to have better throttle response and felt quicker. I know, I know… probably sympathetic feelings of better performance, but it sure felt and sounded better.

Back to the exhaust blow by… any issues leaving it as is? If so, thoughts on how to tighten the pipe down onto the tube or "seal" the leak (the ends of the clamp are touching… can't get it any tighter)?
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

Back to the exhaust blow by… any issues leaving it as is? If so, thoughts on how to tighten the pipe down onto the tube or "seal" the leak #the ends of the clamp are touching… can't get it any tighter#?

I've used Permatex Tailpipe/Muffler sealant on several custom exhaust's I've made in past times. You could also try a tail pipe expander to open up the pipe a small amount. Good luck post some photos. http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =109191312