Adding lights......question on switching

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Adding lights......question on switching

Post by towerworker »

I'm preparing to add some running lights. Too many folks turning into my path and I'm tired of not being seen. I run my high beam during the day but still I sometimes seem invisible. I've been down too many times in the past and I would like to avoid any more hospital stays. The last one was 10+ months. That's enough!

I have two sets to install. One is a basic set of halogen (55w) lights that I've already mounted below the oil coolers but have yet to wire. Actually I installed them prior to my illness 3 years ago and of course that prevented me from completing the job. And no, they are not the high $$ PIA lights. I don't have that kind of money. I didn't then and I darn well don't now. My second will be a pair of LED lights. They are 9W Epistar LED's, I'm anxious to see just how much light they produce. 9 watts doesn't sound like much but led lighting produces a lot of light output for the current they draw.

My question involves switching. I have a 12V relay with 40 amp contacts so that will handle far more power than I'll be pulling. I will either add a small light switch to the bars (it will only be actuating the relay) or preferably I'd like to tie into the existing lighting and have my high/low beam circuit trigger the relay. I'm just wondering what any of you have done as far as switching.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Adding lights......question on switching

Post by sweatmark »

Wayne, if you're comfortable with wiring, then consider an Autoswitch:

http://www.autoswitch.com/as5nb.php
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

I've wired the 2 extra relays on my bike into the circuits that power the relevant instrument light.

eg - my PIAA lights have a switch as well - but the relay to power them is fired by the main-beam instrument bulb circuit.
Similarly my 'remote power' lead (for phone/sat-nav) is switched by one of the circuits that power the instrument illumination bulbs.

On our bikes the wiring for these circuits is easily accessible - it's the uppermost, right most connection block under the tank. (IIRC).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

sweatmark wrote:Wayne, if you're comfortable with wiring, then consider an Autoswitch:

http://www.autoswitch.com/as5nb.php
Great! I remember now seeing this product some years ago but had forgotten it's name. I ordered one!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

I added 55w fog lights (wally world $30 special) and powered them via a relay. Initially had a switch as well but got rid of it since I dont see a reason to turn them off. I think the triangle of light has been effective for conspicuity. Next is to convert the turn signals to running lights.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

where to put the switch, that is the question!
I have motolights and the standard switch is hideous and large and triangular.
On my 1150 I put the switch under the seat and kept them on all the time. On the 1200, I wanted access to switching and like on the 1150 there just ain't no place to mount it so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I have handguards on the 12 though and have mounted the switch on the inside of the clutch side handguard and I like it there. Invisible, sort of, easily seen, easily accessed.
When you mount them, Wayne, take a few pix and show you handiwork. Glad to see you've improved to the level of Farkler.

Aside: I considered the autoswitch and just didn't do it, It looks like a reasonable thing. I wanted to have some telltale that the lights were on though and iirc, the autoswitch does not do that.

Aside #2: The miniswitch sold by motolights is crap. Mine failed on the first day of usage. Internal mech broke and parts melted. I considered it $40 down the drain.

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Frank1150r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Frank1150r »

When I purchased my bike new in 2002, I had the dealer install the motolights with the autoswitch. When the motolights are turned on, a small LED illuminates from next to the left handlebar grip to let me know they are on.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Frank1150r wrote:When I purchased my bike new in 2002, I had the dealer install the motolights with the autoswitch. When the motolights are turned on, a small LED illuminates from next to the left handlebar grip to let me know they are on.
Is that part of the autoswitch or a dealer customization? If it's part of it, I'd vote for the autoswitch.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates