Need help with an issue

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

viking89
Basic User

Need help with an issue

Post by viking89 »

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my bikes running and idle speeds and am not sure how to proceed to get this fixed.
Here are the issues ass they happen.

1. Start engine (cold)
2. The rpm's are around 900, even though when warm the engine will idle at the correct 1100 +-50 rpm range.
3. I occasionally hear what sounds like a knock for lack of a better term when the engine is cold. It goes away once at operating
temp. I'm going to post a video and hopefully it can be heard.
4. When I engage the high idle lever the bike would start running extremely rough.
5. To see what might be going on I hooked up my manometer while the engine was cold. The 2 columns are pretty close to equal when
the bike is idling, when I engage the high idle lever, the entire column of water gets pulled to the right side.
6. I then checked for a leak on the left side throttle body using wd-40, spraying the joints where they connect. No change in engine
running.
7. Once warm the bike will idle at the correctly set range, but I have noticed that when slowing to a stop the idle will dip down maybe to
a 1000 then gradually come back up to the correct range. I can see some fluctuation in the idle while stopped. I had never seen this
before.

Once the bike is warm, it runs alright, except when the rpms are around 1200-1500. In that range I get alot of shaking and vibrations. Once they get above that everything seems to be fine.

I have done a valve adjustment and tried a TB sync. I could never get the TB to sync at 3500-4000 range. The right side always pulled more vacuum. This lead me to think about a leak somewhere, but I haven't been able to find one.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

Tony
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Need help with an issue

Post by towerworker »

What year? Single or twin spark?
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

Did you check the stick coils? Mine ran rough, changed plugs, adjusted valves, synched throttle bodies, and finally saw one primary coil not firing. Changed them both out and now it runs smooth :D
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
viking89
Basic User

Post by viking89 »

Sorry, should have included that information.

2004, dual spark.

How can I check the stick coils? I'm very new to motorcylces. Can i pull them out and check with a multimeter?

Thanks
viking89
Basic User

Post by viking89 »

Here's a vid of how it sounds. Toward the end of the vid I engage the fast idle lever.

http://s443.photobucket.com/user/argos8 ... 9.mp4.html
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

Search for stick coils/failure and you will find a lot. I'm going by memory, so you should read the full advice of others. I ended up pulling the coil off the existing plug, putting an old plug in it and grounding that to the machine, then turning over to check for spark. I checked both sides, then switched them and repeated, and found the offender. Don't fire it ungrounded or without a plug in, one or both of those causes a big jolt thru you...
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
viking89
Basic User

Post by viking89 »

Should a coil really go bad this soon? I only have 8k miles on my bike.

I will try testing them out and see what happens.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

viking89 wrote:Should a coil really go bad this soon? I only have 8k miles on my bike.

I will try testing them out and see what happens.
They shouldn't but they do. After 2004 (mine is a 2004 as well) the stick coils I'm told were replaced with a better design that was more resistant to the heat issues they encountered sitting buried in a cylinder head. I think mine had around 20K when I replaced them both.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bransan »

Check the throttle cable adjustment.
The enrichment lever you speak of actually just opens the throttle partially to allow the engine to start and idle until it warms up.
Study the throttle cables, and You will see what I speak of. That is where I would start.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
Arbreacames
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Arbreacames »

bransan wrote:Check the throttle cable adjustment.
+1
Carlos D.
viking89
Basic User

Post by viking89 »

Check the throttle cable adjustment.
What exactly am I l looking for? To loose, to tight? How much play should there be in the cable?

I'm sorry if these are dumb questions. I ma completely new to bikes and am trying to learn.

Thanks
viking89
Basic User

Post by viking89 »

Hi guys bit of an update.

I checked the stick coils and both of them are working. I also looked at the throttle cables on both sides
and both and some play in them. The cable adjuster on the left side has never been touched, still has the
paint on the threads from the dealer.

Any ideas of anything else I can check?

Thanks