New guy here

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

BMWTEK21
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

New guy here

Post by BMWTEK21 »

Hi guys, first post on this site and love it so far. I've always been a BMW car fanatic, also a technician for several years and now service manager. Had many different BMW cars, but looking at my first ever BMW bike. Had several Hondas and loved them; well made, reliable etc. Hadn't really considered a BMW bike as Id heard they were quite qwerky in many ways (yes, more so than the cars) and also being a shorter rider (about 5' 8") the older bikes I sat on were quite tall for me. well, recently I got the bug for another bike after having sold my last honda 2 yrs ago. I was perusing Craigslist and came across a strikingly beautiful 2003 R1150R. It had very high miles (80k) but looked pristine, I had to go see it. Once there I was amazed at how well the bike presented. The sturdiness and build quality of these bikes seems to be at a whole other level from Hondas. The bike feels almost industrial in its build and has a weightiness to it, remeniscent of the old 80's and 90's era BMW sedans. Also, the seat height is a bit lower, though the bike is quite a wide machine, but the center of gravity is very low. The looks are timeless and classic to me. One of the prettiest BMW bikes Ive ever seen. I want this thing!

Anyway, I havent pulled the trigger yet because I wanted to first post here to get some opinions. Does 80k seem like really high mileage on one of these bikes to buy used? The price seems very fair at around 3k, which is considerably less than what i see the similar model with less miles going for in other states. Thats another thing, I dont sven see another one of these beauties for sale within 300 miles of me. The bike was obviously loved by the previous owner, it barey shows a scratch and has been garage kept. Seems to be many highway miles.

So, any of you members want to talk me out of this high miler? I can and will do all work myself and parts can be had at cost through my work. Anyone here bought a Bimmer oil-head with so many miles? I understand the engines are typical Germanic overbuilt units but what about the trans etc? Thanks for any and all advice guys!

-Ben
Rider Rick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 934

Re: New guy here

Post by Rider Rick »

Hya Tek! :) Welcome to R1150R, where responses are not always swift in coming, but when they do arrive, it is also possible they are well-thought-out, lol.

I have a 2004 R so I can't comment specifically on the 2003, but I felt the same way as you when I got mine, weighty, solid, feelings of confidence when riding. The main diff between yours and mine MAY be the dual plug versus single, I am not sure. I know the 2002 was a single plug version.

I think there are probably lots of bikes with that amount of miles that are functioning perfectly, but even so I would be hesitant to get one of them as my first bike, just my opinion. I would want my first bike to be full of long-term potential, and 80k is a lot for any bike, no matter who says it isn't. Then again it could have had most of the pesky things that crop up handled, so you could have a clear-sailing interval in front of you, who knows :-k .

If you added a couple grand to that price you are almost in low-mileage territory for a 2004-2006 version. Mine has 13k and I would probably be asking in the 5-6k range, haven't checked recently. Not sure where you live, but I would expand my miles for looking. I found mine at Sandia BMW in Albuquerque and I am in OKC, so took a 1000 mile trip to pick it up, love it so far.

So after all that, it could be a jewel of a bike and you'd never know the miles except for the odometer, but all things being equal, I feel a lower-mileage bike, well-kept would give you many more miles in the saddle before driveshaft or suspension work, etc. Just my opinion, but this is my first BMW bike, and I haven't been through 80k with it yet :).

Welcome to the club, and would be interested in your location.
2004 Red R1150R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

LOVE these bikes. 80k IS a little high..... personally.

but at 3grand...doesnt sound bad. If you are going to ride ALOT, maybe be wary of added maintenance at those high miles...maybe some other gremlins that are lurking. MAybe go look for a lower mile machine.

I got mine at 13,500 for $4,500

barring problems...you wouldn't regret it.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
BMWTEK21
Basic User

Post by BMWTEK21 »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do realise the mileage is high and could be a concern, but I will be performing all repairs on my own and do have a very extensive tool set and parts at dealer cost. I rode the bike again today and and falling in love (without letting the seller know this!). The only dislike I can find is the gearbox is a bit clunky, again it kind of adds to that heavy, industrial feel.

I do also have to ask... why no fuel gauge?? Wouldn't that clock have been the perfect spot for one? Those Germans..

I think I'm going to offer something like 2700$. For the condition of the bike, seems fair for both parties.

Anybody else's thoughts?

Thanks again. This is obviously a very well versed and educated crowd.

-Ben
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

BMWTEK21 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome! I do realise the mileage is high and could be a concern, but I will be performing all repairs on my own and do have a very extensive tool set and parts at dealer cost. I rode the bike again today and and falling in love (without letting the seller know this!). The only dislike I can find is the gearbox is a bit clunky, again it kind of adds to that heavy, industrial feel.

I do also have to ask... why no fuel gauge?? Wouldn't that clock have been the perfect spot for one? Those Germans..

I think I'm going to offer something like 2700$. For the condition of the bike, seems fair for both parties.

Anybody else's thoughts?

Thanks again. This is obviously a very well versed and educated crowd.

-Ben

i say go for it!I agree on the fuel gauge...FYI when the light comes on, that means you should start thinking about getting gas...not thinking "hey wonder how far I can go"

First week of owning, I had to push it a block LOL it is anything but light.

just reset that trip. light will come on 100-120, my new mantra is no more than 20 miles past the light.

my gearbox is clunky too, feels like a tank. germans...

I also agree on your comment on center of gravity. I feel way more confident on twisties on this thing than on any bike ive ridden. barring some major track setup sport bikes...very forgiving motorcycle. Corners nicely, doesnt mind being laid on its side. I REALLY like the comments from people like: "Arent you afraid the motor will hit the road when you corner fast?" nope.

at 2700, as long as you dont mind a little work. i dont think you'll be disappointed.
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

I'm pretty new myself, having just got my first BMW. I took up riding again after decades on 4 wheels, and in the last 2 years have 'gone through' 4 bikes, and will be stopping with the 03 R1150R I found last July. It had 1150 miles on it, and was cleaner than showroom new. I paid just under $7K for it, but it's like getting a new BMW for less than half the cost. No warranty, but I was a field service engineer for Heidelberg and other German companies, so am comfortable doing my own repairs.

I'd be hesitant on the high miles. You are so correct in loving this bike (put on 5000 miles since July on mine) but do look for a lower mileage one. Combing the forums you'll find some items that may become problems. 'Yours' may have already had them fixed, mine I'll get to before they present themselves. It's up to you really, you've found a beautiful machine and should have one, if not the one you're looking at. Since I bought mine in early July I've seen no less than 4 with less than 9K miles for less than I paid, so there are deals out there.

Welcome, congrats on finding a great forum, and congrats on finding joy in the R1150R!

If you think the R is heavy, go ride a VStrom DL650. The R is a featherweight in comparison, though they weigh the same, the CG makes so much difference and the rolling resistance is way less as well.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Lots of folks with well over 80K on their bikes. Not a concern, especially if you're down with doing your own work. If you get it, check it over really well for the iffy spots they all have (lots of info here on the site). If it's solid, do a full maintenance so you have a baseline (barring a completed service journal) and ride the thing.

Just coming up on 150,000 Km on my 11R. Did head gaskets last year and the hall sensor went this year, both common and predictable items on my bike's year and model. FWIW, I paid more than you mentioned for a bike with more miles and 6 years older but that has more to do with where I live.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

SteveJJ wrote:but I was a field service engineer for Heidelberg and other German companies, so am comfortable doing my own repairs.

slightly off topic:

Print....? digital or offset? :)

sorry not often that my printnerdery meets other parts of life... :)

carry on.
BMWTEK21
Basic User

Post by BMWTEK21 »

Thank you guys for the informative repllies! Very well thought out and insightful. I will buy the bike tomorrow as long as he accepts my lower offer. There are many, many records on this bike and it has been well loved.

My location is in Atlanta, Ga. Any fellow riders here?

-Ben
Frank1150r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Frank1150r »

Tek,
If it has been well maintained and has the records to prove it, go for it, at $3000.00 or less you can sell it if you don't like it without losing much. Some would consider the engine barely broken in at 80 K.
I've got a 2002 non abs model with 44 K and other than normal maintenance, batteries and tires I've had to replace the clutch slave twice. It's never left me stranded.

Frank
billbeemer
Basic User

Post by billbeemer »

the key here is u do your own work. at $3k, u can't lose.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

There are two low mileage R's on Craigslist Atlanta one under 16k and another around 21k for about $5k asking price. Good Luck
Mike
BMWTEK21
Basic User

Post by BMWTEK21 »

captaincable wrote:There are two low mileage R's on Craigslist Atlanta one under 16k and another around 21k for about $5k asking price. Good Luck
Mike

For some reason these dont come up on my searches. Perhaps its the app I'm using. I see a couple high mileage GS's and several "t" models but no other "r" models.

This bike is a very well cared for, mostly highway mile bike. I would rather have this any day than 14-20k of most likely around town mileage. Turns out this bike belonged to a member of this forum and has a very well documented history. Very cool! The bike was special to him and therefore it makes it more special/rare to me.

-Ben
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

That's odd they don't come up just looked them last night
Let us know what you buy
I am just south of Tallulah Falls about 5mins let me know if you ride this way can show you some cool areas
Mike
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Ben is talking about this one...

The only reason I don't still own it, is I got to where I felt like I needed a smaller, lighter motorcycle to ride around on.
I am thrilled to know her whereabouts, and that she has not been crashed.

Hope it works out for you Ben.
Will
Basic User

Post by Will »

My 2 cents (tho' sounds like you've got your course steered) - no question this is the bike - Having possessed Harleys, Nortons and Royal Enfields this is the one. I got a 2002 with 22,000 miles on it last April, $4300 - so even if the seller does not go for your offer (seems fair to me, considering the maintenance documentation) just keep your eyes open, they do come around. Fall riding up in these Green Mountains of Vermont has just been a spiritual experience for me.
BMWTEK21
Basic User

Post by BMWTEK21 »

Great pic "Boxer"!

I officialy bought this beauty this evening and I'm absolutely thrilled with the machine. The stellar accepted my offer and even threw in a couple extra helmets and riding gloves. This bike truly belies it's miles and exhibits the true love and care that Phil gave it.

I'd love to post a few pics! Can new members do so?

Thanks again everyone for your informative responses!

-Ben
fpgirard
Lifer

Post by fpgirard »

There's been some great postings as to what should be done with a newly acquired used R1150R - there's the usual suspicious parts that need replacement - fuel disconnects - if you can't find 'em, ping me.

80K is high but 3K is low....
2003 R1150R
1995 K75 (sold)
BMWTEK21
Basic User

Post by BMWTEK21 »

So, after a week with the bike I'm still loving it and have a few questions for the experienced owners here:

-the bike surges very noticibly at anything below about 4k. I've read several possible solutions as far as synching TB's, different plugs, "Booster plug" and disconnecting IAT sensor. All of these I can do on my own but is one of them a definitive fix or is it relative to the specific bike?

-Im getting some fluttering, rattling type of noise at low engine speeds when just taking off or on decel at low rpms. From reading on the forums it sounds more like the throttle body shafts that have excess wear and are fluttering due to vacuum pulses. Are thesw rebuildable?

-i also have a light tick when the engine is at hot idle. Its from the left side cylinder and is only heard at idle. I'm assuming its a valve that has a bit of excess clearance. Should these engines be completely silent when running or is some mechanical noise the nature of this engine?I'm sure I'll perform a valve adjustment anyway.

Thanks in advance for the replies! I'm loving this bike and the low center of gravity it has. Its a blast in turns.
Havent gotten on the highway yet, but looking forward to it!

-Ben
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Surging is common and often can be 90% mitigated by getting the engine in good tune. Plugs, valve adjustments, TB sync. A booster plug can help, but is a bandaid unless you have your ducks in a row. It's one of those "they all do it" things, but you can greatly reduce how far it intrudes in your riding by being on top of things. A booster plug got me the last 10% after everything else was checked off the list.

Lots of info on surging on this and many other sites. Good PDF available on IBMWR on surging fixes, including an in-depth throttle body sync method.

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

If the valves are in spec, they're going to make some noise. As a rule of thumb, if you can;t hear them they're too tight. They're much more tolerant of being a little on the loose side. Lots of sources suggest a looser spec than factory as the bike ages. "Noisy valves are happy valves"

These boxers are a hoot on back roads, enjoy!