signal minder only half minding

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

zeke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 839

signal minder only half minding

Post by zeke »

I noticed today that my signal minder seems to only work for right turns. Self canceling feature works properly for right turns, but not for left. Is this a sign of early failure? The running light feature still work properly, as does the flashing brake feature. Thoughts? Will giggling the wires in the box help to solve this or is it more serious? Thanks
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: signal minder only half minding

Post by towerworker »

I have a Signal Minder as well. I've never had an issue. (yet)! I've not heard of a problem like yours. Makes me think it's not sensing your left turn switch. I would think it's possibly an issue of a dirty or poor electrical connection. I would disconnect the device and simply reconnect it. Just disconnecting and re-connecting tends to partially clean connections. A good practice is to use a little dab of conductive dielectric grease on electrical connections. It tends to help keep connections free of dirt and water and helps conductivity within dissimilar metals. For safety's sake I'd recommend disconnecting your battery before doing a lot of electrical troubleshooting. I know getting to the battery leads is often a real PITA but it's a real wise move unless you're very certain of what wires you may be messing with.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Frank1150r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Frank1150r »

I've had my signal minder for 12 years without an issue, I'm guessing here, have you checked the front and rear signal bulbs?

Frank
fpgirard
Lifer

Post by fpgirard »

no problems here with my signal minder...... is possible to switch left and right to see if the problem follows wiring or stays with SM?
2003 R1150R
1995 K75 (sold)
zeke
Lifer

Post by zeke »

Finally did a bit more research on this while I was doing an oil change. Got out a stop watch and the instruction manual. I must have done something that altered the settings as the sm worked like it should, though 45 seconds is a long time when you are waiting for a flashing light to stop. I adjusted the settings several times and each worked properly. Guess I did something wierd or bumped something that caused me to think the signals were not activating properly. If oddities continue I'll post again.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

FWIW, "Signal Minder weakness":
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38271

Was reminded of this fix-it reference by original poster's claim that one side wasn't working.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
zeke
Lifer

Post by zeke »

Man, just when I thought I was out...I get pulled back in. Appreciate the link, will certainly keep an eye on the turn signals to see if they act up over the next few weeks. Oh and just to heap on to the todo list...the right front turn signal went out today.
All joking aside. I do very much appreciate the insight and assistance. Thanks!