Oil Filter

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

David R
Basic User

Re: Oil Filter

Post by David R »

Yes, its true. 3/4-16 thread. The filter fits R1100RT also. Its longer than the BMW one for the camhead. I think the BMW part # for the oilhead is a direct cross. Drain back valve is there, but does not matter, the filter can't drain.

I order parts all day long, so asking for a 1348 while I am on the phone makes it real easy. Its less about money and more about convenience.

Clean Oil, Clean air and Clean fuel. That is all it takes.

David

Edit: I just went to napa and plugged in the 1100 oil filter #. It came up PS7936 filter with a 3/4-16 thread. I have been through this a few times. That is the thread.
roger l wrote:I looked on the NAPA filter web page and I see the NAPA 1348 oil filter has a 3/4-16 internal thread. Are you sure that this fits the R1200R? I find it hard to believe BMW put a 3/4-16 thread for the oil filter stud.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

mogu83 wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote: What about nylons and a Hershey bar?
:?
WOW How old are you????
Don't tell me you rode a Harley WLA-45 across the sands of Normandy or was it a BMW R75 sidecar rig through Poland toward Moscow. :-k (You young guys can look those bikes up)

Some say that the bike is a Zundapp. I have no idea, but the picture seemed apt...
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

At that time there was no big difference betveen Zundapp and BMW.The concept is very similar on both boxers.By years passing Zundapp gone for ever BMW staing for ever.Today,BMW in cars and motorcicles is one of world leaders.Please correct me if I am wrong. :D :?:

Steve from Ontario
sandycruz
Basic User

Post by sandycruz »

With a little research I found a Mahle filter that fits both my R1100S and my R1200R and my Toyota Tacoma. Yes, the filter is a bit longer than stock. Yes there is a, IMHO, statistically insignificant chance that a rock may puncture the filter housing, I'm willing to take that chance. OTOH a longer filter offers more filter media area and therefore more filtering. You can choose whatever filter you want. Somewhere I saw words to the effect that Mahle is or has been an OEM supplier to BMW. Here is the info.

I bought 10 filters from these folks:

http://amaliestore.com/shop/mahle-oc-338-oil-filter/

10 to reach the free shipping threshold.

The Mahle filter appears to be a very well make filter equal to either the BMW or the Toyota OEM filter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Ezg0bkFiU

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=2897317
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

sandycruz wrote:With a little research I found a Mahle filter that fits both my R1100S and my R1200R and my Toyota Tacoma. Yes, the filter is a bit longer than stock. Yes there is a, IMHO, statistically insignificant chance that a rock may puncture the filter housing, I'm willing to take that chance.
It's only statistically insignificant if it hasn't happened to you. For me - it's 100%... (and I don't want to repeat it.) If you're running a longer filter that protrudes out of the engine casting - a GS bash-pan might be a good investment in safety.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
foobar
Basic User

Post by foobar »

What's the part number for an ac/delco oil filter for an R1150R? On the other hand, the nut on the top of the k&n makes life a whole lot easier...
2002 R1150R (gone)
2006 K1200R
2008 R1220R
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

foobar wrote:What's the part number for an ac/delco oil filter for an R1150R?
You might get more replies if this were posted on the R1150 board: viewforum.php?f=2,
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL