Post Maintenance Test Ride - Be Careful

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post Maintenance Test Ride - Be Careful

Post by arp »

Ten months and 10,000 mi ago I picked up my bike after an annual service where I had all fluids changed (engine, transmission, brakes and final drive). It was a 25 mi ride home, including 13 mi of decent curves. Upon arrival this is what I saw:

The dealer came and picked up the bike and brought it back a couple of days later. Apparently when they changed the final drive fluid they removed the ABS sensor on the final drive and filled through the opening. In this case the O-ring somehow got damaged (or not re-installed ... ) when they reinstalled the sensor. They corrected the problem but did not measure or retain the remaining oil in the FD, which disturbed me as it should have been the obvious thing to do. It looked bad but they claimed the amount of oil lost was small. I let it go as I too estimated the amount of oil lost was on the order of a few ml. I considered the dealer to be good and a subsequent fluid change showed clean oil.

I did not give the bike a careful inspection, as I should have, before riding away after the service. I remember thinking it it did not feel quite right in some of the curves, but nothing dramatic happened.

So don't forget your post service inspection, short test ride and final inspection!
Last edited by arp on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)
Newportcycle
Basic User

Re: Post Maintenance Test Drive - Be Careful

Post by Newportcycle »

Always good advice. I frequented a shop years ago out of necessity and always found something amiss.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Post Maintenance Test Drive - Be Careful

Post by mogu83 »

Alex - nice show of class not using the dealers name.
Everyone can make a mistake but if it becomes a habit then it's a problem.
A visual check of the machine is a good idea, especially after a service, but most of the time we can't see the important things that could cost a life. That's when having a dealer (mechanic) you can trust means everything.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
ammolab
Lifer

Re: Post Maintenance Test Ride - Be Careful

Post by ammolab »

Did you get a new set of brake pads?
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by boxermoose »

ammolab wrote:Did you get a new set of brake pads?
Why?....the old ones will last forever now :badgrin:
TANSTAAFL
arp
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1124

Post by arp »

ammolab wrote:Did you get a new set of brake pads?
No. Never occurred to me there would be a problem until I read your post. I originally thought the leak was from the brakes and took a close look at them but could not see any evidence of fluid around or on the brakes. I did not notice any ill effects on the rear brakes either, but then I rarely use the rear brake pedal. I think most of the oil must have dropped down onto the rim without contacting the rear rotor.
Alex
'17 R1200GSA, 3k mi
'14 R1200RT, 27k mi
'12 R1200R Classic, 42k mi (traded)