slight mishap

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

slight mishap

Post by riceburner »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburner ... 951586483/ (crap photos - will put more up when I rebuild).

Dumb accident last night - leaving my parents place with my brother, he was leading as we went down the muddy gravel drive and suddenly he stopped dead. I had taken my eyes of him for a second and suddenly had nowhere to go but down. Locked up the front in the mud and fell over. Unfortunately the bike had enough momentum to smack the headlight surrounds into his rear tyre.

We wrapped the lights up in duct tape and I rode it home, my bro came with me to help me see where I was going (it was after dark by the time we got back on the road). The bike looked like a character from an old comedy with a bandaged head!

Could have been a lot worse, the headlight units themselves are fine and working - it's just the shrouds and some of the supporting bracketry that's mashed. Managed to find all the bits this morning, so hopefully will get it all back into 1 piece this weekend.

Note for all Rockster owners though.... the headlight shrouds are in SERIOUSLY short supply! They're one of the few unique items to the bike (the actual supporting bracket is the same as the GS's). I found the last rear-cover in the UK up in a Scottish dealership. (Very good customer service from Motorrad Central East!).

Oh - yeah - the reason my brother stopped? He'd forgotten to put his glasses on!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: slight mishap

Post by sweatmark »

Ouch! Glad you're ok.

Good advice and comments from you about the Rockster's unique parts' rarity. Like the headlight shrouds, the instrument cover (I call it the "cap") is quickly becoming unobtainium... had to replace all of these when my Edn.80 was totalled. The front panel carriers (headlight/instruments mount brackets) are also rare Rockster-specific, fragile parts... I replaced those too.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
spoon
Basic User

Post by spoon »

Might be a good idea to take measuements of a good intact part and someday somebody might be able to make a few spairs. 3D printing might be just the ticket.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just an update... All fixed up, although whilst I was cleaning the bike later I discovered the instrument backing plate had also been broken! gah!
I think it'll be ok for a while, but I'll be looking for a replacement.

Also realised that the left side ally bracket was more than just scratched - and will will (at some point) need another, but again, I'm ok to live with it for the time being.

added a couple more photos to the set on flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockburne ... 951586483/
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

You mean these parts?

Fragile. Both types cracked on my Rockster when totalled, in what was otherwise a low energy event.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote:You mean these parts?

Fragile. Both types cracked on my Rockster when totalled, in what was otherwise a low energy event.

Part 1 in that diagram - I thought only 1 side had broken - but on the LHS the tiny nodule that part 4 sits against broke off. I may just tap a hole into the ally and then screw in a small screw and cut the head off. Cheaper than a new part!

The other part is the white coloured instrument backing plate - another expensive part!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Andrew s
Basic User

Post by Andrew s »

Glad you are alright and not too much damage.

Staff at Mottorad East must have changed as not found them helpful at all, but that was 4 years ago.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Andrew s wrote:Glad you are alright and not too much damage.

Staff at Mottorad East must have changed as not found them helpful at all, but that was 4 years ago.

Thanks!

I find that the staff in BMW showrooms seems to change fairly regularly. The only person at my local who's been there permanently since I started buying is the motorcycle head honcho.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life