Could this be my clutch or something else?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Could this be my clutch or something else?

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Just got back from a Saturday ride. 2009 R1200R bought new in 2011, still under warrantee and 7200 miles and 7K service was performed two months ago.

While riding on the Long Island Express way in 4th gear noticed a stutter upon acceleration. Problem subsided for about 5 minutes but then rest of the ride the bike would not rev past 5,000 RPMs in 3-5th gear. It just stays at 4500-5000 RPM with throttle wide open. Opening and closing the throttle helps some but still wont' go much past 5K RPMs. Starting from a stop the bike will pull to max RPMS in 1st and 2nd gear.

Any ideas/feedback appreciated!
ammolab
Lifer

Re: Could this be my clutch or something else?

Post by ammolab »

Not your clutch....something limiting your power output/RPM. Could be ignition/fuel/engine control ECU issue. Your dealer can log on to your bikes computer and sort this out. Let your warranty handle this issue.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Power limiting suggests a fuel supply problem at times of high demand. Because the fuel filter can be significantly clogged by even a single tank (or less) of bad gas, I'd start by replacing the fuel filter.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

I'd be think'n bad/contaminated gas too. Did You gas up just before this happened? At the very least I would try a healthy slug of seafoam or get rid of that tank of gas and try again. You might also want to look in the air intake too and make sure nothing is blocking the air filter.
ASK WHY
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

LeonardoNYC wrote:Just got back from a Saturday ride. 2009 R1200R bought new in 2011, still under warrantee and 7200 miles and 7K service was performed two months ago.

While riding on the Long Island Express way in 4th gear noticed a stutter upon acceleration. Problem subsided for about 5 minutes but then rest of the ride the bike would not rev past 5,000 RPMs in 3-5th gear. It just stays at 4500-5000 RPM with throttle wide open. Opening and closing the throttle helps some but still wont' go much past 5K RPMs. Starting from a stop the bike will pull to max RPMS in 1st and 2nd gear.

Any ideas/feedback appreciated!
Had this problem and it was a bad coil after thinking it was bad gas, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc. Take it to the dealership to help diagnose the problem.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
GBag
Basic User

Post by GBag »

Also Note that BMW has a habit of tying wiring in too tight. If the bike has fallen over, been set down, dropped, or crashed it may have torn ignition wire. It will work fine till you put heavy load on it then it will sputter and generally have no pop past 1/2 throttle.
GBag
'08 XL1200 L (Traded), '09 R1200R (Traded), '11 R1200R (riding the hell out of it)
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

It also appears I am part of the fuel pump recall. Perhaps this could be the cause as well.
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

LeonardoNYC wrote:It also appears I am part of the fuel pump recall. Perhaps this could be the cause as well.
No, as the problem is cracking at the mounting flange...unless massive amounts of fuel are spraying between your legs instead of pumping to the injectors. I would think this...you would notice!!

A good reason to head to the dealer and get both sorted out.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Well, what did we find out???
ASK WHY
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Still at the dealer. Max bmw picked it up un Tuesday. Hope to have it in Saturday.
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Get it back yet?
ASK WHY
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Yes, just picked it up a few hours ago at Max BMW near Danbury, CT. For some reason there were no fault code readings when hooked up to the service computer. They had to replace the fuel pump under warranty twice, including gasket, clamp, and apparently whatever it was also caused the plugs to foul which could be bad gas but I think it was more than that..they put at least 6 hours into the fix and I can see why these guys are are one of the best BMW dealers in the North East. Bike feels smooth, happy and zippy which is great! I think if it was bad gas it would have been noticeable sooner and easier but just happy to have Bettie back home.
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Good news, enjoy.
ASK WHY