Hungry Mother 2014 is August 15-17

Check out what group rides people are planning, or planning to attend! Questions you have BEFORE the ride takes place should go in here.

Moderator: Moderators

mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Hungry Mother 2014 is August 15-17

Post by mcooperstein »

This event is open to everyone and has almost no organization, but a lot of tradition. We generally arrive on Friday throughout the day, make a pizza and beer run, then hang out and talk all evening. Saturday typically begins with breakfast at the AppleTree Restaurant right off I-81. Then small groups break out in all directions for a day of riding. Saturday evening we gather again to eat, quite often somewhere with bad service. It is not unusual for someone to get their food late or not at all, that's just part of the fun.

The tent sites in Loop C are on wooden decks they call "pads". They vary in size but it usually isn't hard to get two tents on each pad so 20 guys can camp without problem. The Park Rangers have always been good to us, not too strict if we bend the rules, but we're quiet and respectful. With someone having already booked two of the sites we will probably be sharing the bath house with others.

Anyone who wants to guarantee themselves a site can send me $47. That is 1 campsite for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday). Do a Personal Transfer via paypal to markcooperstein AT gmail DOT com. The personal transfer for "Payment Owed" will keep paypal from taking a cut on my end. If you want to send me a check instead, just contact me via email. I'll try to keep this post updated with confirmed payments.

DO NOT LET THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T RESERVE A SITE STOP YOU FROM COMING!
CAMPING IS NOT REQUIRED. YOU CAN STAY IN A HOTEL IF YOU WANT (and endure mild hazing).

I was able to procure 9 of the 11 sites. Multiple tents can fit on a pad. I'll keep a running tab on this thread of people committed to coming.

Mark
member #2
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Hungry Mother 2014 is August 15-17

Post by towerworker »

I'm in!!
Most likely will have a friend riding along. Bob Weber who will be on a blue GS. Looking forward to HM!!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I'm in.

This is my favorite ride every year, tremendous roads, an I feel lucky that I have only not been served my food once. The location of that restaurant will not be revealed online, but I won't go back.

Also be prepared to ride in the rain. For many years this was refereed to as the Hungry Mother Rain Ride. I had to dump out my borrowed tent the first year. It had 2 inches of rain in it.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I'm in...along with whoever I can drag up there with me from Georgia. The last couple of years we have increased our number of Georgia attendees, but last year, (not knowing the special significance of this event for us) they have begun to murmur...and complain...about the location. So I'm not sure if any of them will be coming along this time. Oh well.
Last edited by Boxer on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcooperstein

Post by mcooperstein »

Obviously I'm in as I'm organizing this year. However....The pussification of Mark....

I just bought a 24' RV built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. It's awesome, has turbo diesel and (supposedly) gets 17 miles to the gallon! So this year I intend to drive it down, towing the R behind and sleep in style!!! I doubt they'll let me park it at the top, even though it's self contained. So I'll ride with y'all, but sleep in the RV campground!!!

Mark
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Biff's R wrote:Also be prepared to ride in the rain. For many years this was refereed to as the Hungry Mother Rain Ride. I had to dump out my borrowed tent the first year. It had 2 inches of rain in it.
Haha - that was the first time I met you; we shared a camp-site and you left grumpy to stay in a motel!

I'm probably in for this one.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

R4R&R wrote:
Biff's R wrote:Also be prepared to ride in the rain. For many years this was refereed to as the Hungry Mother Rain Ride. I had to dump out my borrowed tent the first year. It had 2 inches of rain in it.
Haha - that was the first time I met you; we shared a camp-site and you left grumpy to stay in a motel!

I'm probably in for this one.
Me grumpy? Never. :lol:
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Post by yjleesvrr »

I'm planning to come, unless I decide to take my cross-country trip this August instead of next summer...
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Ok, let's stir this up. Only 6 weeks or so till this happens. Mark, just sent my payment in. My son looks to be joining us also!

Hope to see a bunch of folks there!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

It's been a while since I posted on this forum and even longer since I've been to HM. I can't fully commit because my work schedule is so screwy, but I truly hope to come this year. I've been in touch with SJBMW (Herb), and he's also trying to come. I may also have a buddy from work along but his schedule is even worse than mine.

Hope to see you all in few weeks.
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I was hoping to join y'all, but my new RT is under a recall to replace the Dynamic ESA rear shock. Marzocchi evidently spec'd the shock piston shaft walls too thinly. So while I still commute locally, I'm suppose to be grounded - which means I won't take a longer trip. So I'll see y'all next spring for the next Bash.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Just to touch base again.........still planning to come. Far as I know Bob Weber will be coming along and hopefully Frank Prochaska (fella on the white V-Strom at the bash). Plus just met a new fella in the valley here who is riding a 800GS (I think) and his name is John Chevalaz. He wants to come as well. So it looks like 3 for sure and possibly 4 from the Shenandoah Valley.

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

I haven't heard anything from any of the other Georgia riders about HM. We are planning a ride to Kickstand in Stecoah the weekend prior to HM. That may knock some of them out for riding and camping two weekends in a row. Not sure yet.
I am planning to leave Kickstand on Sunday the 10th and go to BRMC for a day or two then up to that motorcycle only campsite near Boone for a night, then on up to Willville for a couple of days before heading back over to Hungry Mother on Friday.

Sorry, no movie this time. I can't get the projector. But the Bada Bing girls are still coming.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Boxer - my schedule won't let me met you at Kickstand but shoot me an email or call when you past through, maybe we can meet up, since you pass between my house and office on the way to Boone!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Hey Mark! Who...or how many, have signed up and paid for a site so far?

Got it. Thanks
Last edited by Boxer on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

The earliest weather report for Marion, VA for Friday, August 15:
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.
Houston, we don't have a problem.

mac
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Guys, make sure you ride 421 from Bristol, TN to Boone, NC and back. Just did this ride a few days ago, and it was FABULOUS!!!!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

Well, Bob, if you insist!
(It is juicy, aint it!)

mac
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

It's my understanding we won't have a movie this year on the big screen there in loop C. I fell asleep last year and didn't see the ending on that Emmy award winning film that was shown. I was hoping we'd get to see it again this year. Darn. I guess I'll just have to take advantage of the evening and teach all you guys how to check the antifreeze in your R's radiators.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

It would break with a long standing tradition, but I have a recommendation for breakfast if anyone is interested:

http://www.shatleysprings.com/menu_breakfast.htm

TAKE CASH!, no cards, but they do have an ATM.

For about $11 you will not leave hungry. They do well with groups of four. Plus you can take you Nalgene bottle and fill it with healing water for free. The place has been around for decades and I've known about it, but only ate there for the first time early this year. I've now been three times. Lunch is also good, on Sunday afternoons you get rice and pineapple!

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187