Filing DOT complaints regarding the fuel strip

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle BS
Basic User

Re: Filing DOT complaints regarding the fuel strip

Post by uncle BS »

failed fuel strips nor salivating lawyers anywhere in the usa gets bmw's attention. but i am happy to say the illustrious magnificent premiere unparaelled bar none par execellance motorcycle company known as bmw did quietly agree to a multi million dolla out of court settlement bout 2 yrs ago.... i dont even care to remember what the issue was but it's out there to goggle. it did involve the motorcycle division.
El Paso
Basic User

Post by El Paso »

Filed a complaint after the strip on my '13 failed after 750 miles (showed empty all the time w/the low fuel warning lite on). Replaced by dealer, (not surprised), but now 2 tanks later and the replacement is somewhat less than accurate. So far, I've gone 120 miles and it still shows full. No, I don't trust it, and reset the trip meter at each fill-up... but the point is, I shouldn't have to. The variables on estimating are significant, and I'm pretty confident at some point I'll be 50 miles from no where and out of gas. I just hope it's not summertime and it's 120 friggin' degrees. :evil:
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

El Paso wrote:but now 2 tanks later and the replacement is somewhat less than accurate. So far, I've gone 120 miles and it still shows full. No, I don't trust it, and reset the trip meter at each fill-up... but the point is, I shouldn't have to. The variables on estimating are significant, and I'm pretty confident at some point I'll be 50 miles from no where and out of gas. I just hope it's not summertime and it's 120 friggin' degrees. :evil:
That may be normal functioning of the gauge (or not). There is variability, it seems, of mileage vs display (bars or whatever). Mine does not come off "full" until 60-80 miles or so, then it seems to go down in a non-linear fashion, i.e., I cannot expect a bar to disappear every x miles.
I am on my third strip now and it seems to be working well after 10k miles, but every fillup I do the math, based on 5.5 - fill volume vs miles left. If it shows I had 60 miles left and to fill to mid third of filler tube it took 4.3-4.5 or therabouts, then I figure I had about a gallon left in the tank and I accept that as close enough.
The more miles you put on with a functioning strip the more comfortable you get with it. Like Reagan said though: Trust, but verify.

When my two failed they were very innaccurate, in retrospect. I was new to the bike though, new to the mileage variability, new to the volume of the tank. I am more comfortable with her now, esp with the strip working, but as I said I still do the math. I had the same feelings of angst and anger as you do, not so much now. On long rides I carry some extra gas in a couple of MSR bottles, just in case. And YES, it SHOULD work. Seems like some carry Kool Ade instead of gas :P

Something to be cognizant of though is even when the strip is working perfectly, the miles to empty can be off some, but usually to a minor degree. I was crossing Cali on 36 and wanted to check out when I ran dry, knew it was coming and had gas ready. This was with the functioning strip. At "11 miles" to empty, she sputtered but did not kill. Coasted to a stop, added an MSR bottle (33 oz) and went to the gas station 4 miles away. I think, iirc, she took 5.4 gallons? Something reasonable. If you're riding the deserts around "The Bridge," carrying a little gas might be something to consider. The MSR bottles are well made, don't leak, and are sold online.

Try not to get discouraged. It's a good bike, I think, in all other regards, and is a pleasure to ride.
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Ric
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Ric »

omg1010 wrote:Hello John,

what is your intention if I may ask? That a manufacturer should be forced to call back a product for every little flaw discovered? I do not think there is a problem with the low fuel warning. It appears that the same is working well (although not very precise) on 1000s if not 10000s of BMWs hence why taking out the machine-gun? The BMW low fuel warning seems to be rather conservative and warn you way before running out of fuel ... During my 14 years history I have never ever run out of fuel.

If there is a safety-related problem I would understand but for this? :-k

Brgds
Oliver

Something that doesn't work is not just a little flaw....it's a complete failure.

Every one of my dollars I gave BMW for an R1200R worked....every single one of them.
So I expect BMW to replace the fuel strip with a new design one that works at least for the duration of the warranty.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

[/quote]

Something that doesn't work is not just a little flaw....it's a complete failure.

Every one of my dollars I gave BMW for an R1200R worked....every single one of them.
So I expect BMW to replace the fuel strip with a new design one that works at least for the duration of the warranty.[/quote]

Happy are those who expect nothing; they won't be disappointed
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Oliver - FWIW - BMW has been forced to do numerous recalls on faulty fuel sending units on their cars - NHTSA found it could be the cause of an accident if the car ran out of fuel in a precarious place. To me - that goes in spades for a motorcycle. We are SO much more exposed if we run out of fuel someplace where there is no shoulder to drift over to (not at all uncommon in the NE USA..)

NHTSA has elevated the complaints about leaking fuel pump output bosses (where the quick disconnect screws in) to an "Investigation" including an engineering review. Apparently they've recognized that having gasoline spurting from under the tank isn't a very safe condition, especially when it ends up on the riders.

If NHTSA doesn't find the fuel strip a safety issue - at least the investigation into is likely to prod BMW to do "something" about it. That may have already happened.. I had #8 replaced a week ago, and chatting with one of the service writers (whose brother is a mechanic and did my latest fuel strip) - he claimed that of the ones they replaced since June, none have come back. Before that it wasn't unusual to have multiple failures within weeks of a replacement. Happily - ALL my replacements have been covered by warranty (the original BMW warranty, then the 2 year parts warranty, most have lasted about 10-15 months..) This time they also replaced the rear mounting hardware (primarily a rubber bushing) since it had become worn by the tank being removed so many times for prior strip replacements.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Las
Double Lifer

Post by Las »

Couldn't agree with John more. The fuel gauge should work. If it doesn't, BMW should fix it. I wasted an entire Saturday, this week having my fourth strip replaced on a 2012 bike. The op should note that, when the fuel strip goes, the low fuel light stays on even when the tank is full. If you forget to reset the trip odometer, and can't remember the mileage when last you tanked up, it's very easy to run out of fuel; and you may do so in a dangerous place. Bmw's solution was to leave off the gauge and miles to empty readout in the 2013 and newer bikes and the T-Nine rather than fix the problem.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

That is correct,we paid scerten amount of money,to have a perfect bike.(18,500CAD).
I managed to live without fuel messuring devices for 41 years-never ever running out of fuel.Now it becomes amayor problem,or may bee we are making a problem of it?So much angry on BMW?Why wee drive it if it isso "anaccurate"?I am just asking.There are much more"accurate"bikes on the road ,should go with them.Hondas,Yamahas,Suzukis,Kawasakis,and certenly HD's.They are able to messure fuel in your tank more precisely.Gentleman if you do not have a real problem with your bike,you are looking for anything to find a problem,to complain.But behind the sceen you are satisfied with your Beemer."I love it,but Idon'tlike it".Same as a marriage question.I have only 8,000mls on myR1200R fuel strip is not accurate.So using trip odometer.Personally I do not give a.....attention to that.Simply,I do not care.Engin,drive system,brakes,bike over all ok I am driving it and don't care abouth fuel strip at all.Sorry,it is personal approch,and European=perfect bike is a perfection,no mater what.

Don't you think?
curmudgeon
Basic User

Post by curmudgeon »

Steve H. wrote:That is correct,we paid scerten amount of money,to have a perfect bike.(18,500CAD).
I managed to live without fuel messuring devices for 41 years-never ever running out of fuel.Now it becomes amayor problem,or may bee we are making a problem of it?So much angry on BMW?Why wee drive it if it isso "anaccurate"?I am just asking.There are much more"accurate"bikes on the road ,should go with them.Hondas,Yamahas,Suzukis,Kawasakis,and certenly HD's.They are able to messure fuel in your tank more precisely.Gentleman if you do not have a real problem with your bike,you are looking for anything to find a problem,to complain.But behind the sceen you are satisfied with your Beemer."I love it,but Idon'tlike it".Same as a marriage question.I have only 8,000mls on myR1200R fuel strip is not accurate.So using trip odometer.Personally I do not give a.....attention to that.Simply,I do not care.Engin,drive system,brakes,bike over all ok I am driving it and don't care abouth fuel strip at all.Sorry,it is personal approch,and European=perfect bike is a perfection,no mater what.

Don't you think?
Disagree completely. Until recent years motorcycles had carburetors and the fuel tanks had mechanical reserve valves so you could switch over and get to a gas station instead of running out completely. When fuel injection came along BMW and other marques elected to remove the reserve valve and utilize a low fuel warning lamp. Guess what - the R's low fuel warning lamp is tied in with the Fail-A-Matic strip so when it fails you have no warning as to when the bike runs out of fuel. I owned a 2000 GS for 8 years and the gauge/low fuel warning parts never had an issue. It's obvious that the strips in the R's are either a poor design or very poorly made. Other people's documented multiple failure/replacement of strips clearly indicate that this is a genuine issue - not whining.

No rational person expects perfection in a mechanical device but basic operating and safety parts need to be reliable. BMW's fuel strip is anything but.
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Steve H. wrote:Don't you think?
Actually - no, I don't think so. I was sold a bike with an extra cost option - the On-Board-Computer.. which includes the fuel level indicator and a Miles until Empty feature. I paid my money to get a benefit. BMW has my money. I have a system that fails more than it works (on strip #8 now..) and despite BMW replacing it at no cost to me, it means they have not delivered on their half of the contract we BOTH agreed to. It's whining? Not so much when you run out of fuel due to a defective fuel sensor - then it's a safety issue.

Yes - most everyone uses their odometer as a backup (or primary when the strip has failed) indication of when fuel is needed - but if we paid for the OBC and fuel level indicator that should not be necessary - it should simply work. The first failed one I experienced was on a test ride of an R1200R - that ran out a distance from the dealership indicating about 1/2 tank of fuel remained. At the time - this appeared to be a rare instance of failure. As a poll I ran on the BMW-MOA Hexhead forums indicates - it is not rare at all, failure is actually the "norm" rather than the exception.

Tell me - what part of the bike that you paid for would you find unacceptable if it failed due to an engineering/quality-control issue - what part would you think BMW should have made "right"?
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Well,Don you are right i one hand,in the other not.
As I mentioned before,Iwould complain abputh:Engine,drive train,main electrical issues,frame,suspension etc.The main coponents of the bike.I paid extra 100$ for on board comp.as you did.If I consider the spent money,You are completelly right.In the other hand,do I have to fight BMW to death becose of a fuel stripp?Fuel stripp is asafety issue????I completly disagree.This bike is probably the one of the safest bike in the world with fuel strip,or withouth.Just simply take care abouth fueling.Defenitly,you got a bunch lot of miles on this bike than I did.A lot-lot more experience on THIS bike.Carburated,or fuel injected difference(as Iread before)-reserve fuel-I just care abouth trip odometer.If that fails,I would COMPLAIN.Definitly.Well, gentleman this is only my opinion,and approch to this issue.I am NOT trying to defend my way of thinking to the last breath,it is just my way of seeing thinks.That simple.I left Yugoslavia with empty pockets at the time of civil war(killing).Arrived to north America with nothing.Today I estabelished myselfe,and my family.+I am driving the world best motorcycle.Few bucks here or there spent extra,....for me does not matter to much.

Enjoj the life Marry Christmas,and happy new year for all of fellow bikers.

Bee safe! Steve H.northumberlander
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

In my truck,(Volvo2012) fuel gage is not so accurate.Fueling ap at max.1,400MLS.That simple.Never run out of fuel.Do not watch girls that much,watch your odometer indeed. :D :D
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Add me to the list.

My ride has @ 11.5K miles on it and I thought I was going to squeek by without a failed fuel strip, but no....

Right out of the blue, 3/4 full tank and then - low fuel light, display shows empty.

I'm going to search for the electrical cure I had seen previously using power to jump the broken connection, but at this time it's for referrence only. I believe I'll contact the dealer tomorrow when they're open and let them replace this one.

Found it.

Here's the info:

Fuel Level Sensor Strip Repair Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!
I suffered the expected Fuel Level Sensor Strip failure last weekend, and after reading through this thread, I found inspiration for a fix.
I want to give a 'shout out' to JoelWisman, Old_Don, TXjames and jzeiler for their contributions--unknowingly--to me in this thread!
After reading Joel's fix using a megger and a picofarad capacitor to drop the high voltage (HV) across the broken strip, I was already thinking...piezoelectric component. We use them in aviation. So, I decided to use a very common one. A fireplace lighter. Below are the steps I took to construct the 'device'. I used common hardware found in aviation repairs, but you can substitute as needed.

This is the original fault, a bad fuel level sensor strip. Verified with a multi-meter showing an 'open' circuit between pins #2 & #3.

1. The very common fireplace lighter being disassembled. Slide the black cap forward (not shown) and remove the one screw. Note yellow arrows.

2. Splice in additional wire. I used 18 gauge wire and covered with heat shrink tubing.

3. I applied additional heat shrink tubing for added strength.

4. First yellow arrow is high voltage or self healing tape to insure a better fit. Second yellow arrow is reinstallation of the safety switch.

5. Slide the black cap back on and reinstall the screw.

6. I used some connector pins flatten out with a vice. You could use smaller automobile blade type connectors too. (check the fit before crimping to the wire)

7. Be sure to cover the pins with heat shrink tubing to prevent electrical arcing between the two pins.

8. The completed fuel level strip repair...err...device.

9. Gas tank almost full and battery disconnected. Install the 'device' between pins #2 and #3, order does not matter. Pull the trigger once and remove. Reconnect the fuel level strip connector and battery. (I always disconnect the battery when performing electrical work)

10. Success!! Result after using the 'device'. You must start the bike and let it cycle through the preprogramed 90 second fuel sample for the fault light to extinguish.
Congratulate yourself on saving $142.00 for this repair! Use the money saved by taking your mates out for a pint!
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Job is done, pretty painless.

I called ahead and set an appointment, brought a book and cooled my heels reading, done in an hour or so.

I will admit to sitting on a bike or two while I was there.

The more I look at the other BMW's, the more I realize the R1200R is right for me.
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I was wondering, if they can recall the fuel pump flange issue that nobody had heard of before why isn't there a recall on the fuel strip that seems to impact everybody???
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Catchina wrote:I was wondering, if they can recall the fuel pump flange issue that nobody had heard of before why isn't there a recall on the fuel strip that seems to impact everybody???
Probably because Canada hasn't issued one yet and embarrassed the NHTSA into action. Someone described the NHTSA as a watchdog that became a lapdog - in reference to the Chevy recall. I don't think (from that action and from info from a friend who used to work for them) that's far off the mark.
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

Catchina wrote:I was wondering, if they can recall the fuel pump flange issue that nobody had heard of before why isn't there a recall on the fuel strip that seems to impact everybody???
I did file a complaint with NTSA on my fuel strip and then did a search on the site...pulled up only 31 complaints! With this small number, I do not see them doing anything.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Well my fourth strip just did a nose dive this week #-o

A couple days later I was out for a ride and had a chance to drop by the local dealer so I went to the service dept to schedule a visit for the fuel flange recall and a new strip. The service manager and head service writer were at the desk and they fawned amazement that my fuel strip had failed, "what we've never heard of this before, what did you do to your poor bike? You didn't use gas with ethanol in it did you. That must be what did it! BMW can't have a design issue :lol: "

Yes we had a pretty good laugh about it, only because this time they'll be replacing the current one under warranty. The head service writer told me their record for replacements was four strips in one bike in one week.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV