Bike not turning over - mechanic in/near brooklyn?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

georgek
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1000

Bike not turning over - mechanic in/near brooklyn?

Post by georgek »

I was all set to go on a short ride. I had the bike running, got a phone call, and then cut the engine after realizing this call would take a few minutes. I go to start it again, and it sounds like my battery's about dead. It tries turning over, and then I just get a clicking noise.

I doubt this is enough information to garner any help. Unless anyone had the same thing happen and knows what it is,
can anyone recommend a mechanic who'd visit the bike? I'm in Brooklyn, NYC. I was planning on taking a long trip this coming weekend - July 11.

Thank you,
George
2002 R1150R black
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Re: Bike not turning over - mechanic in/near brooklyn?

Post by sstein »

Hey Georgek, I recently had a very similar situation. Turned out that my contact to one of the battery leads needed some steel wool cleaning, jiggling and some tightening. Make sure you're getting good conduction at the battery leads. And of course make sure it is not just an old battery? ;)
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
georgek
Lifer

Post by georgek »

Thanks. I'll try that out. I guess I'll remove the tank. The battery gave me trouble over the winter, but it's been fine lately.
I went out and bought another one a few months ago but didn't install it since the present one had been ok. We'll see.
Thanks for the advice, sstein.
2002 R1150R black
georgek
Lifer

Post by georgek »

The battery connections were tight and did not show corrosion. I think it was just in need of a charge.
I did charge it overnight, and it started this morning.

Is there a portable voltmeter i could buy to check the battery occasionally? I have a lead from the battery now on the bike to
make charging easier. I'm hoping the voltmeter could connect to that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
George
2002 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

A simple voltmeter won't give you the information you need. Even a bad battery can show 12 volts with no load. Once you hit the starter and load the battery it will quickly drop to well below 12 vdc maybe even less than 8 volts. When you have batteries tested at auto parts shops the device they use places a pretty hefty resistor across the terminals simulating a starting load and that gives an accurate battery reading. If you've already purchased a new battery I think your best course of action would be to pull the tank and install it. Otherwise you stand a good chance of getting stranded.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

georgek wrote:The battery gave me trouble over the winter, but it's been fine lately.
That's a sure sign your battery is near the end of it's functional lifespan, when it does not either hold a charge or is unable to start a very cold engine even after being just removed from the charger.

Charge the "new" battery before putting it in the bike. For safety, the negative cable is always the first one to be disconnected and the last one to be connected. Anytime the battery is disconnected, don't forget to reset the TPS range data points within the Motronic computer using the throttle:
--Key, kill switch and neutral light should be ON, do not touch the starter button!
--Methodically twist the throttle twistgrip from the idle to the full throttle stops, twice.
--Turn off the key -or- you can start the engine . . . you are done.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
georgek
Lifer

Post by georgek »

Thank you, Towerworker and CycleRob.
I just got back from my trip. The bike was great. I think I fell back in love with it.

I did put the new battery in and had charged it first.

I did not reset the TPS range data points. Should I do it now, or is it too late?

Thanks a lot.

George
2002 R1150R black
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'm not entirely certain. Rob is the authority, hopefully he'll see the question and respond. I see no reason why you couldn't just go thru the procedure just to be certain the Motronic sees the data it needs for optimal performance. On the other hand if the bike is running and performing well possibly all is as it should be. Again I'll defer to Rob.

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

georgek wrote:I did not reset the TPS range data points. Should I do it now, or is it too late?
You can reset the Motronic TPS's data range parameters at any time, especially when the engine starts behaving badly. If you do not reset the TPS with the fuse removal/replacement routine, it will occur when you go to full throttle while riding the bike. That may not be the best method to establish the TPS's data range parameters, especially when BMW instructs you to perform the Motronic reset anytime the battery is disconnected . . . in the Owners Manual.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
georgek
Lifer

Post by georgek »

Thanks again. I'll reset the TPS tomorrow. I'll look forward to it.
2002 R1150R black