Brake pads and rotors

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

scooterme

Brake pads and rotors

Post by scooterme »

The dealership let me know I need to fit three new rotors, they're close to being out of spec on thickness, and the pads need changing too. Has anyone tried non-oem rotors/pads?
ImageImage
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: Brake pads and rotors

Post by MTBeemer »

I've got EBC pads front and rear and an EBC rotor on the rear. No problems with any of it so far. About 12K on the rear pads, 5k on the rotor (mine had warped) and I cannot recall how long I've had the front pads in.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Don C
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Don C »

I'm also using the EBC rotor on the rear. It's my own fault as I didn't notice that the rear pads were worn out, and scored the rotor. Even before the damage, it was showing a lot of wear. The EBC rotor diameter is slightly larger, but it doesn't affect fit or function. You need a special long Torx to remove the rotor, and you should replace the bolts along with the rotor. It was difficult job due to the locking compound and high torque on those bolts. I'm hoping that the EBC pads last longer than the OEMs, but it's too soon to tell. I can't feel any difference from using the OEM parts. I was getting 12K or so from the OEM rear pads. Maybe with every tire we should get new rear brake pads. I haven't worn out the original front pads yet at 30K.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

Yeah, I priced out EBC rotors and pads, the cost is around $700 including OEM replacement bolts. BMW parts close to $1400... guess what I'm ordering!

Thanks for the feedback and experience.
ImageImage
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

scooterme wrote:Yeah, I priced out EBC rotors and pads, the cost is around $700 including OEM replacement bolts. BMW parts close to $1400... guess what I'm ordering!

Thanks for the feedback and experience.

700? :shock:

Please tell me that includes labor. lol

nothing wrong with EBC. used them on atvs that get beaten, and they consistently perform.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.