Newcomer in Suffolk UK

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Pugman
Basic User

Newcomer in Suffolk UK

Post by Pugman »

Hello from sunny Suffolk. Getting my 2003 Rockster on Wednesday. I've owned several Beemers from K's in the 90's to old and very new R's...1100S, GS, RT, plus lots of other bikes in 52 yrs of life! Ex Police motorcyclist and one of a group offering free feedback to riders, check out www.progressmotorcycling.co.uk for more info.
Likes: Riding long distances overnight. Touring with good friends. Rugby. Music.
Dislikes: Bike Snobs (if you ride on 2 wheels you have my respect, but I can't stand those that look down I other riders because they ride a particular style or make of bike) in the right hands, most bikes can be hustled along :-)

Q? What is the mod/part mentioned in another newcomers post '£60 part to make the head quiet'?

Q? I need to put some 'sticky tyres' on the bike. I like 'making progress'! What are people using that give excellent grip?

Q? I'm going to splash out on Sat-Nav :-) I had a car Tom Tom and it was rubbish..really poor at downloading maps. I need Europe maps but I don't want it Bluetooth to my lid as I had a career of instructions via an earpiece! Visual is my priority.

Ride Safe and 'make progress' :mrgreen:
Andrew s
Basic User

Re: Newcomer in Suffolk UK

Post by Andrew s »

Welcome and I am sure you will find the Rockster very capable.

Best mod is a screen if you want to ride distances.

Post some photos when you get it.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Welcome!

1) the left side cam-chain tensioner was upgraded in (approx) 2006/7 - it's an easy, one-time job, but needs a bit of fettling as the access is tight - there's a couple of threads about it on this forum.

2) Tyres are so personal that it's hard to recommend for someone else. Personally I prefer Pirelli and Metzeler, so currently running a pair of Angel STs. You do NOT need super-sports tyres for a Rockster - Sport Touring tyres are ideally suited.

3) Sat Nav - no idea - I use my phone. :) (Sony Xperia Z sitting in a Brodit mount)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
R100CS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by R100CS »

Still use my old Garmin Zumo 550, brought me to Finland and back a few weeks ago.
I only use it visual. I don't have a bluetooth headset and I don't bother to connect the cable between the GPS and my headset.
The current maps don't fit on the internal memory so you'll have to put a part or all of it on a SD card.
The Zumo 660 is a good alternative to buy second hand, Europe maps still fit on it's internal memory (AFAIK).
If you want a modern, top of the bill, GPS there is the Zumo 590.

If you want "local" tyre advice, try this site http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/

For my touring, I also added a bigger than standard screen, it came with a bit of fairing.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27160&p=235363#p235363
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
Pugman
Basic User

Post by Pugman »

Bless ya those that have replied. Ride safe www.progressmotorcycling.co.uk
Rocky rider
Basic User

Post by Rocky rider »

Welcome to the Forum. I think you have just bought my pillion seat cover on eBay!!

I agree with the screen comment as fitting my Ztechnic screen has improved my comfort enormously. Find it here - http://www.customcruisers.com/Custom200 ... p2828.html

The cam tensioner change also makes good sense. I did it on my Cruiser and it quietened it down a lot. It's the next job for me on my Rockster. There is a useful explanation on the net at - http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcncct.pdf

I use a Garmin Nuvi and it works well. It has a 'dashboard' screen which gives you a great digital speedometer that I find really useful, especially in speed limits! RAM mounts also o some very good bike mounts which I have used on several bikes and it's now on the Rockster. I would upload a photo if someone could tell me how to upload pics to this site.

Hope you enjoy your new toy!!

Ride safe.
2003 Rockster (Citrus Metallic). (Replaced a R1200C Classic)
1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Rocky rider wrote: I would upload a photo if someone could tell me how to upload pics to this site.
Best way is to upload them to a photo-hosting site like Flickr or photobucket and then use [ img ] tags around the image's url. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Rocky rider
Basic User

Post by Rocky rider »

I shall give that a try sometime
Thanks.
2003 Rockster (Citrus Metallic). (Replaced a R1200C Classic)
1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast
keith0miles
Basic User

Post by keith0miles »

Was searching for some unrelated Rockster info when I came across your post. I'm on my third Rockster (keep selling them thinking that I can find something better but I can't). I've tried nearly every brand of tyre: Metzeler, Continental, Pirelli, Avon but the best by far are the Dunlop Roadsmart II. Very grippy in all conditions, longish lasting and the profile of the tyre encourages 'sporty' riding. Again, fairings I have had a few - best by far is to fit a R1150GS screen onto the existing headlamp mounting brackets. This involves drilling a couple of holes in each bracket but the screen is very effective without being cumbersome.

I've done track days with this setup at Mallory Park (short straights) and been able to keep up with most non track-day bikes.

Best other modifications are suspension change (I have Hyper Pros front and rear), a Rhinewest ECU chip which takes out the flat spot which BMW inserted to meet German emissions regulations and if you have ABS get it removed as it was badly implemented on the R1150s.

I ride out of Cambridge so if I see another Rockster locally (rare as hens teeth), I'll wave.

Hope you're still enjoying your bike.

Keith
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Welcome. Hope you find this to be a good and useful resource.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

keith0miles wrote: I'm on my third Rockster (keep selling them thinking that I can find something better but I can't).

Keith

What is it about Rocksters that encourages multiple purchasing?? I'm on my 3rd as well.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

Any chance of a photo of the rockster with the GS screen, can't seem to find one. Cheers.